Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The POSITIVE Takeaways Thread
Only positive is just maybe now Brown will fire Lewis because he cant coach a big game.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:34 AM)BigSeph Wrote: He had a better QB rating tonight than Andy Dalton has ever had in the playoffs.

He threw a potential game-winning TD pass with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

Make an intelligent comment next time.

I dread the return of Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:29 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't know how AJM is a positive. He played like garbage the whole game. He's played bad in every game that isn't preseason so far.

Exactly. He got lucky on one floater to AJ with a blown coverage. Lest we forget he also got picked once and should have been picked probably three more timers plus three fumbles.

Sorry but there is no such thing as a positive in a loss. All defeats are utter catastrophes and this one more than others.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:34 AM)BigSeph Wrote: He had a better QB rating tonight than Andy Dalton has ever had in the playoffs.

He threw a potential game-winning TD pass with less than 2 minutes to go in the game.

Make an intelligent comment next time.

McCarron looked like someone who will never see the field again. He played horribly. He couldn't move the ball at all. The TD pass was a horrible pass that Green had to save, and he had 2 turnovers, and could have easily been 4. He constantly hung his receivers out to dry, and he couldn't convert on 3rd down.

I would tell you to make an intelligent post, but I don't think you're capable of one.
Reply/Quote
Less beer will be drank by me during the duration of the 2015-2016 NFL playoffs. +1 points liver.

My fingernails will be at full strength come February. No more constant pain from that part of my body. Bengals elimated = no nervousness = less hangnails. +10 points for each finger

Oh, and higher draft pick. Nothing like drafting a mediocre player late in the first round, and not seeing him on the field until his 3rd year of his career. +25 or 26 for the draft pick number we get

That is all.
Reply/Quote
Higher draft pick in each round...
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:37 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCarron looked like someone who will never see the field again. He played horribly. He couldn't move the ball at all. The TD pass was a horrible pass that Green had to save, and he had 2 turn overs, and could have easily been 4. He constantly hung his receivers out to dry, and he couldn't convert on 3rd down.

I would tell you to make an intelligent post, but I don't think you're capable of one.

Let's examine your insightful criticisms-

1.  "McCarron looked like someone who will never see the field again."

Do you have any logical or rational basis for claiming this?  Did you watch the Texans game earlier?

2.  "He played horribly."

By even the most rudimentary comparative analysis, he played better than Andy Dalton ever has in a playoff game.  He had a higher rating, threw a TD pass to put the Bengals ahead with less than 2 minutes left, and drove the team down the field for 2 TDs and a FG in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.  His Qb rating was 2 points lower than Andrew Luck's career QB rating.  His QB rating was 2 points lower than Tom Brady's rating in his first NFL playoff game.  Which the Patriots won.  So if McCarron played "horribly," then Andy has played "more horribly" in every other playoff game he's ever played in.  Did you say Andy played "horribly" after all his playoff games?

3.  "He couldn't move the ball at all."

Except in the 4th quarter, when he moved it down the field for 2 TDs and a FG.

4.  "The TD pass was a horrible pass that Green had to save, and he had 2 turn overs, and could have easily been 4."

He put it up where AJ had a chance to catch it or get interference, and not in a spot where a defender would pick it off.  That was a 3rd down by the way.  He had 2 turnovers because 1 was a lame duck due to a wet ball, and the other because he set his feet on a dropback and the ball got swatted out of his hands.  The other 2 potential turnovers weren't turnovers.  How about Rey's failed INT in the endzone?  Should we give Ben an INT and piss on his performance because of a turnover that didn't happen?

5.  "He constantly hung his receivers out to dry, and he couldn't convert on 3rd down."

It's a WRs job to catch the football.  The Bengals converted 33% of 3rd downs and 100% of 4th downs.  The Steelers converted 15% of 3rd downs.  Would you say Roethlisberger couldn't convert on 3rd down?  No, you're here bagging on the guy who almost won the first playoff game in years for the Bengals in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.

Make intelligent comments please.
Reply/Quote
Still have one of the most complete--if not THE most complete--team in the game. If they can stay together, they should have a chance to go all the way next year. In spite of all the talk about the seven-game playoff losing streak, this organization is a model of technical excellence (in terms of how to build & keep a good roster) and stability. I've been following the Bengals since I was in tenth grade in the mid seventies, and watched the dreadful 90's & early 2000's. I remember in '05 when they were happy just to get back into the playoffs and looked like they were really turning a corner. Believe me, things could be a lot worse. They have to get mentally tougher as a team and figure out what happens when they repeatedly have trouble against teams they are just flat-out better than (like tonite). When they do--and I hope that this game helps them to do that--they will have turned that next corner.

All that being said, the coaches & veteran players will have their hands full in the coming days (and really, the entire off-season) keeping this team together mentally & emotionally. A self-destruct job of this magnitude can tear a team apart.

Peace.
GO STRIPES!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:37 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCarron looked like someone who will never see the field again. He played horribly. He couldn't move the ball at all. The TD pass was a horrible pass that Green had to save, and he had 2 turnovers, and could have easily been 4. He constantly hung his receivers out to dry, and he couldn't convert on 3rd down.

AJM had a better QBR than any other QB to start a first playoff for us other than Palmer with one pass. In that rain AJM gave the bengals a chance to win. No actually F**k that AJM won the game with a pass to AJ in the final minutes. It took three horrible plays by three of our best players to lose a game that was all but over. 

So blame AJ till you are blue in the face for all I care but you won't convince me that he was the reason we lost that game. He showed the composure the rest of this team badly needs and only got better towards the end.

You can dismiss him but I'm sure the Bengals will be entertaining offers for him soon. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:29 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't know how AJM is a positive. He played like garbage the whole game. He's played bad in every game that isn't preseason so far.

AJ McCarron has a better post-season TD to turnover ratio than Dalton does, scored more points on offense, and GASP we almost won the game!  It's astounding!  It's amazing!  Quick, let me grab an electron microscope and a slide ruler and attempt to understand this puzzle!
Reply/Quote
When you consider the whole picture (the weather, his lack of experience, etc) AJM played pretty well for the most part, esp in the end. The conditions were horrible & led to many poor throws. There were some drops by normally sure-handed receivers. He has a chance to be really good; he just needs to get more PT.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:03 AM)iowahwky4cincy Wrote: When you consider the whole picture (the weather, his lack of experience, etc) AJM played pretty well for the most part, esp in the end. The conditions were horrible & led to many poor throws. There were some drops by normally sure-handed receivers. He has a chance to be really good; he just needs to get more PT.

The problem is that I'm not sure how you get him more PT when he's behind Dalton, who is ALREADY really good.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:53 AM)BigSeph Wrote: Let's examine your insightful criticisms-

1.  "McCarron looked like someone who will never see the field again."

Do you have any logical or rational basis for claiming this?  Did you watch the Texans game earlier?

2.  "He played horribly."

By even the most rudimentary comparative analysis, he played better than Andy Dalton ever has in a playoff game.  He had a higher rating, threw a TD pass to put the Bengals ahead with less than 2 minutes left, and drove the team down the field for 2 TDs and a FG in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.  His Qb rating was 2 points lower than Andrew Luck's career QB rating.  His QB rating was 2 points lower than Tom Brady's rating in his first NFL playoff game.  Which the Patriots won.  So if McCarron played "horribly," then Andy has played "more horribly" in every other playoff game he's ever played in.  Did you say Andy played "horribly" after all his playoff games?

3.  "He couldn't move the ball at all."

Except in the 4th quarter, when he moved it down the field for 2 TDs and a FG.

4.  "The TD pass was a horrible pass that Green had to save, and he had 2 turn overs, and could have easily been 4."

He put it up where AJ had a chance to catch it or get interference, and not in a spot where a defender would pick it off.  That was a 3rd down by the way.  He had 2 turnovers because 1 was a lame duck due to a wet ball, and the other because he set his feet on a dropback and the ball got swatted out of his hands.  The other 2 potential turnovers weren't turnovers.  How about Rey's failed INT in the endzone?  Should we give Ben an INT and piss on his performance because of a turnover that didn't happen?

5.  "He constantly hung his receivers out to dry, and he couldn't convert on 3rd down."

It's a WRs job to catch the football.  The Bengals converted 33% of 3rd downs and 100% of 4th downs.  The Steelers converted 15% of 3rd downs.  Would you say Roethlisberger couldn't convert on 3rd down?  No, you're here bagging on the guy who almost won the first playoff game in years for the Bengals in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.

Make intelligent comments please.

1. It's true because he played horribly.

2. He went 5/15 on third down conversions against the 30th rated pass defense. He constantly overthrew/underthrew receivers, and even missed multiple times on screen passes (LOL). He had 2 turnovers while playing a conservative offense, and it could have easily been 4-5 turnovers. It's silly to bring up QB rating, because that doesn't tell the game.

3. Oh yeah... the 1st drive we had a TD was all McCarron even though the reason why we had it was because of a PI call. He literally completed 0 passes that drive. The 2nd TD drive he had a bad lofted ball to Green for a TD. Good job McCarron!

4. No, it was a bad pass. Anyone with a brain, and working eyeballs could see that it was a bad pass. It raining isn't a good excuse for almost turning the ball over 4-5 times

5. Yes. He was constantly hanging his receivers out to dry. Eifert had more than a few big hits because of McCarrons ball placement, and he obviously didn't help Gio at all. The deference between Big Ben and McCarron is that McCarron was going against a bad defense, and Ben was going against arguably the best defense in the world.

Stop making yourself look stupid. McCarron played bad, and you should go see doctor for being delusional .
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:08 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: 1. It's true because he played horribly.

2. He went 5/15 on third down conversions against the 30th rated pass defense. He constantly overthrew/underthrew receivers, and even missed multiple times on screen passes (LOL). He had 2 turnovers while playing a conservative offense, and it could have easily been 4-5 turnovers. It's silly to bring up QB rating, because that doesn't tell the game.

3. Oh yeah... the 1st drive we had a TD was all McCarron even though the reason why we had it was because of a PI call. He literally completed 0 passes that drive. The 2nd TD drive he had a bad lofted ball to Green for a TD. Good job McCarron!

4. No, it was a bad pass. Anyone with a brain, and working eyeballs could see that it was a bad pass. It raining isn't a good excuse for almost turning the ball over 4-5 times

5. Yes. He was constantly hanging his receivers out to dry. Eifert had more than a few big hits because of McCarrons ball placement, and he obviously didn't help Gio at all. The deference between Big Ben and McCarron is that McCarron was going against a bad defense, and Ben was going against arguably the best defense in the world.

Stop making yourself look stupid. McCarron played bad, and you should go see doctor for being delusional .

1.  Well I guess if you repeat yourself enough times it might convince someone.

2.  You are again repeating yourself except you undermined your earlier claim that he "couldn't convert a 3rd down."  You admit that he converted 5 of them.  And if you want to reject QB rating as a useful metric, what should we rely on?  Your ignorant opinion?  Yeah let's just go with that.   Nervous

3.  It was a catchable ball on both throws to AJ Green.  He would have caught the first one if he hadn't been mugged and drawn the PI flag.  You have a problem with catchable balls down the field?

4.  It was a duck.  Even the NFL Network highlights make a note of the wet ball and his subsequent use of a glove on his throwing hand.

5.  Eifert's job is to catch the ball.  Gio's job is to catch the ball.  The NFL has rules in place to protect receivers.  This isn't Pop Warner football.  As far as the "best defense in the world," again are we substituting your ignorant opinions for actual metrics and statistics?  Was it the defense that allowed the Steelers to go down the field from their own 8 yard line and kick the game winning FG?

I'm not saying McCarron played great.  I'm saying he played well enough to win the game and made plays at the end when he needed to.  In his first playoff start, in his 4th career NFL start.

I'm also saying he had a better QB rating than Andy Dalton ever has had in a playoff game, so all the people saying "If we had Andy we would have won 60-3!" need to think again.

This is not taking anything away from Andy Dalton's season, or his improvement as a QB.  I'm not here to bag on Andy.  But if you are bagging on McCarron I'm going to bring up what Andy has done, especially when people want to suggest Andy would have destroyed the Steelers.  This is playoff football.  It's not easy for anyone.
Reply/Quote