Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Presidential Ethics Reform Act
Another bipartisan bill that our country could use.

Talk about a wild pairing. Katie Porter and James Comer team up for legislation.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/22/politics/comer-porter-bill-presidents-tax-returns-foreign-payments/index.html

I have doubts it will get a vote. But fingers crossed.
Reply/Quote
They already have the tax returns of the Democratic President and Vice-President. I bet you this get huge numbers of Democrats voting for it and almost no Republicans. It is their candidate who has refused to release his taxes. And can you imagine what corruption is hidden by Ivanka's family

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 06:44 PM)pally Wrote: They already have the tax returns of the Democratic President and Vice-President.  I bet you this get huge numbers of Democrats voting for it and almost no Republicans.  It is their candidate who has refused to release his taxes.  And can you imagine what corruption is hidden by Ivanka's family

It goes after Biden as well.

Are you jumping on another conspiracy? And here i though R's where the only ones that participated in that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 10:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It goes after Biden as well.

Are you jumping on another conspiracy? And here i though R's where the only ones that participated in that.

Labeling everything you don’t like conspiracy and misinformation is pretty lame.

Do you think it’s a conspiracy Kushner got massive amounts of money from the saudis?

You claimed I spread misinformation in a post a saw somewhere. What am I spreading that is misinformation ?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 12:30 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:
Labeling everything you don’t like conspiracy and misinformation is pretty lame.

Do you think it’s a conspiracy Kushner got massive amounts of money from the saudis?

You claimed I spread misinformation in a post a saw somewhere. What am I spreading that is misinformation ?

Now you know how we feel when you guys do that all the time. 

I'm not going to waste time digging for it, but if i do come across it, I'll point it back out for you.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 10:36 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It goes after Biden as well.

Comer only THINKS he is going after Biden. If they haven’t been able to find a smoking gun 2 years of investigation, he’s not going to find it in the tax returns. Biden has released his taxes for every year of public life

On the other hand, this bill opens up the tax returns of Trump, all of his children and their spouses (current and past, all of his businesses, all of their businesses. No way in hell do Republicans let this bill pass.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 06:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Another bipartisan bill that our country could use.

Talk about a wild pairing. Katie Porter and James Comer team up for legislation.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/22/politics/comer-porter-bill-presidents-tax-returns-foreign-payments/index.html

I have doubts it will get a vote. But fingers crossed.

They need to expand that bill to include Presidential candidates as well, finding stuff out after someone has been elected kinda rings hollow. Having the info out in the open prior to an election at least presents the opportunity for voters to be more informed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 08:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They need to expand that bill to include Presidential candidates as well, finding stuff out after someone has been elected kinda rings hollow. Having the info out in the open prior to an election at least presents the opportunity for voters to be more informed.

Good call.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 08:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They need to expand that bill to include Presidential candidates as well, finding stuff out after someone has been elected kinda rings hollow. Having the info out in the open prior to an election at least presents the opportunity for voters to be more informed.

Informed of what? that rich people know how to play the tax game?
Trump is probably the No 1 Richest POTUS to date. 

Learning how he plays the tax game isn't going to change someone's opinion on him.

So Getting $9m from a foreign country isn't as big of a deal to Trump as it would be to Biden (who has a NW of $10M), but I know some of you would make a big hissy out of it and say he's being brought off. 
Reply/Quote

I would disagree, only because they are still a private citizen at that point.

It would be nice and demonstrate clean hands and transparency.

All good.
Reply/Quote

Yea that’s a bummer. I was assuming that was in there.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 03:33 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I would disagree, only because they are still a private citizen at that point.

It would be nice and demonstrate clean hands and transparency.

All good.

Yeah, I don't know. You are running for President so, seems to me if you have enough confidence that you should hold the position, you should be able to deal with the scrutiny beforehand.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 08:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, I don't know. You are running for President so, seems to me if you have enough confidence that you should hold the position, you should be able to deal with the scrutiny beforehand.

Just think the added intrusion may dissuade some longshot candidates who are running just to get political traction is all.

That was my aversion.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 08:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, I don't know. You are running for President so, seems to me if you have enough confidence that you should hold the position, you should be able to deal with the scrutiny beforehand.

I tend to agree. I am a big "government in the sun" type of person as well as someone who firmly believes in the principles of servant leadership as the bedrock of American democracy. If you aren't willing to face that scrutiny then I don't see you as the type of person who should be in office. I am a bit of an idealist in this way.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I tend to agree. I am a big "government in the sun" type of person as well as someone who firmly believes in the principles of servant leadership as the bedrock of American democracy. If you aren't willing to face that scrutiny then I don't see you as the type of person who should be in office. I am a bit of an idealist in this way.

I think the Tax info is not nearly going to be as big of a problem as what looks to be happening right now to Trump.

Who wants to be POTUS and then get sued over some borderline things and end up Bankrupt? Next thing you know, Lawyer fees will become a Tax Write-off.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 07:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think the Tax info is not nearly going to be as big of a problem as what looks to be happening right now to Trump.

Who wants to be POTUS and then get sued over some borderline things and end up Bankrupt? Next thing you know, Lawyer fees will become a Tax Write-off.

I have a simple solution to that: don't commit fraud. That way, even if someone does come at you with a potentially partisan attack, if it makes it to the discovery process it won't last very long before being dismissed.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 07:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have a simple solution to that: don't commit fraud. That way, even if someone does come at you with a potentially partisan attack, if it makes it to the discovery process it won't last very long before being dismissed.

that is a crazy idea

There has only been 1 President or candidate who has been too afraid to release their tax returns

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 07:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have a simple solution to that: don't commit fraud. That way, even if someone does come at you with a potentially partisan attack, if it makes it to the discovery process it won't last very long before being dismissed.

You think that will prevent the defendant from having to pay legal fees?
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You think that will prevent the defendant from having to pay legal fees?

Are you suggesting that people can be charged with things and forced to defend themselves in court at great cost?!?!  Even if they didn't do it?

In America?
Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You think that will prevent the defendant from having to pay legal fees?

There are ways to recoup those from lawsuits like those.

Reply/Quote