Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The QB position
(04-29-2018, 02:50 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The answer is; because Marv Lewis is a bonafide idiot and doesn't know football from the hole in his butt. He says stupid things like 'you can't fix an offensive line in one offseason' and he doesn't draft a 'decent' QB early because he thinks Dalton won't get hurt and be out an extended period of time. There's zero reason not to draft a QB earlier and make it clear he's the backup. 

Dalton is going into his 8th year and still hasn't had a good playoff performance. 

The stupid things Marv does are almost unbelievable until you take a second to realize, it's his M.O. 

This , I about forgot how dumb he is until he said there's got to be one worth taking and acting like you can't just make your own lineman. Dumbest thing I ever heard,it's like they don't want to get rid of ced because he's family now or something.how about draft a guy and let them compete you need camp bodies anyway.he just says the dumbest shit.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 03:28 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: This , I about forgot how dumb he is until he said there's got to be one worth taking and acting like you can't just make your own lineman. Dumbest thing I ever heard,it's like they don't want to get rid of ced because he's family now or something.how about draft a guy and let them compete you need camp bodies anyway.he just says the dumbest shit.

I have no issue blaming Marvin for not drafting a QB. I honestly don't know who to blame but the bottom line is that we should have drafted one!
Reply/Quote
The Bengals should be able to run the ball a lot better this year, that alone will open things up a bit and make things much easier on Dalton. Andy has limitations but if they can run and have a healthy enzone TE, that would make things much easier on any QB. I really believe that they’re only a starting caliber RT away from being a potent offense. I do think that next year would be the time to start looking to groom his future replacement, someone who doesn’t have Andy’s limitations.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 03:32 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I have no issue blaming Marvin for not drafting a QB. I honestly don't know who to blame but the bottom line is that we should have drafted one!

I think they were looking at Rudolph which is very surprising. But I'm talking about o line. He basically said they all suck .
Reply/Quote
Drafting QBs is and always will be a crapshoot..especially when you already have a pretty good one. Nobody is claiming Andy is the GOAT, but he's not a nobody either. 
We had far bigger fish to fry than a 3rd or 5th round QB.. and besides..You can't exactly draft great players at every position every season. It just doesn't work that way . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's just a hunch, but I think Baker Mayfield is going to fold just like Johnny Alcohol. I suspect we will regret having to deal with Lamar for years to come, though I still would rather have a Center in front of Andy instead of Jackson on the sideline for a year or two....
Reply/Quote
Poor CornerBlitz.

Rest of the league showed him what they thought of McCarron, now his next "dream" has to be Barkley, Driskell, or Woodside.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's just a hunch, but I think Baker Mayfield is going to fold just like Johnny Alcohol. I suspect we will regret having to deal with Lamar for years to come, though I still would rather have a Center in front of Andy instead of Jackson on the sideline for a year or two....

Lamar Jackson fits the mold of the one hit wonder QBs. Vick, RG3, etc. 

I expect him to turn some heads early, but break down into a worthless turnover machine over time.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception.  How do we not draft a QB (besides pick #249) in such a deep class?  Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.  

Smart teams plan for the future. Dalton is serviceable but are we willing to pay him 20-25 million per year and continue to stay average at the position?  I thought the Ravens made a brilliant move in drafting Lamar Jackson....have him learn behind Flacco for a few year and see where things end up 3 years from now. Do they really want to give Flacco 25 million a year with the way he's playing? The same question can be posed for Andy......

Every off season we sit here and argue about Andy. I think most of us can come to the consensus that he's not terrible or great and that for the contract he's worth it....but that shouldn't preclude you from attempting to solidify/upgrade the position for the future especially with the way the QBs are getting paid.

There was 1 QB that has a chance to be elite in my opinion not drafted in round number 1 and that is Rudolph. To get Jackson, the Ravens had to trade up and it costs them essentially 2 second round picks to get back to #32 in round one to grab Jackson. Why was it critical to Ravens? Flacco has been the 2nd worst QB in our division the past 3 years hands down, last year he was putrid, yet is the highest paid by far QB in our division and one of the highest in the NFL.

I would not have minded Rudolph, but then with that pick we miss another potential need. AD has shown he can be very good if protected and he has a team friendly contract compared to our veterans with his production.

Ben keeps hinting at retirement, Flacco is overpaid so they drafted a QB and should have while the Bengals keep only 2 QB's on the roster, so anyone they draft (if in first few rounds) likely causes Driskell and Barkley to be cut. I am not sure they want to cut Driskell yet. I remember watching him throw at camp and he looked like an AJM clone with his throws and we all know he is very athletic as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:46 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lamar Jackson fits the mold of the one hit wonder QBs. Vick, RG3, etc. 

I expect him to turn some heads early, but break down into a worthless turnover machine over time.

Those are hardly good comparisons. Vick's career was doomed by his stint in prison, and RG3 blew out his knee.... if Vick didn't fight dogs and RG3 didn't injure his knee, they both would have had better careers.....
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: ...

Every off season we sit here and argue about Andy. I think most of us can come to the consensus that he's not terrible or great and that for the contract he's worth it....but that shouldn't preclude you from attempting to solidify/upgrade the position for the future especially with the way the QBs are getting paid.

Actually yes it should.  We don't have unlimited resources.  So we can't just burn resources on positions that are not a big need.

We DID draft a QB, we just did not waste the resources we needed to use on other positions.
Reply/Quote
So, what everyone is saying is...the Bengals were so in need of CBs that they couldn't possibly have passed on either Harris or Phillips and taken Falk in the 5th.

Because that's what it comes down to.

Is that what you are all saying?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Whether you love or hate Dalton (or somewhere between), you have to admit this is truth.

- Ben is old and making retirement threats every year.
- Flacco has been far worse than Dalton, not even debatable.
- Browns are eternally searching for a QB

That said, I would've liked a Lauletta to compete with Barkley, who is a lower end backup. You never know though, Logan Woodside could be the next Tom Brady.  Ninja

Barkley is a terrible backup and should be cut in the Fall. If Driskel shows anything he should easily beat out Barkley. The question is will Woodside supplant Barkley. Both are noodle armed QB’s who were prolific in college.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception.  How do we not draft a QB (besides pick #249) in such a deep class?  Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.  

Smart teams plan for the future. Dalton is serviceable but are we willing to pay him 20-25 million per year and continue to stay average at the position?  I thought the Ravens made a brilliant move in drafting Lamar Jackson....have him learn behind Flacco for a few year and see where things end up 3 years from now. Do they really want to give Flacco 25 million a year with the way he's playing? The same question can be posed for Andy......

First Andy's contract is nothing like Flacco, it is a given Flacco is gone after his contract is up so they are planning now for that, Andy has a great friendly contract.. As for Andy he has shown he is more than a serviceable QB, we were not taking a QB in top 3 rounds, maybe next year we might depending on performance this year and contract.. Pitts had to take a QB.. Ben is on verge of retirement, actually they might be a year late in taking a QB if he retires after this season . 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/8/16992838/andy-dalton-best-team-friendly-contract-nfl-quarterback-bengals 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 11:43 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Barkley is a terrible backup and should be cut in the Fall.  If Driskel shows anything he should easily beat out Barkley.  The question is will Woodside supplant Barkley.  Both are noodle armed QB’s who were prolific in college.

"lower end" - "terrible", tomato - tomattow.

Like I said, I would've preferred better backup competition. This thread isn't about that though. It's about replacing he-who-shall-not-be-named.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 02:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First Andy's contract is nothing like Flacco, it is a given Flacco is gone after his contract is up so they are planning now for that, Andy has a great friendly contract.. As for Andy he has shown he is more than a serviceable QB, we were not taking a QB in top 3 rounds, maybe next year we might depending on performance this year and contract.. Pitts had to take a QB.. Ben is on verge of retirement, actually they might be a year late in taking a QB if he retires after this season . 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/8/16992838/andy-dalton-best-team-friendly-contract-nfl-quarterback-bengals 

Good post. Assuming the line isn't historically bad this year (it shouldn't be), we should get a better idea of where we're at with Dalton for when his contract expires. If he improves like he should, he'll stay. If he doesn't improve even with a better line, it may be time to think about the future. Unfortunately, I heard next year's crop of QB's is terrible. So lets just hope Andy balls out. I think he will.

Probably not to the impossible standards of some (he'd have to post Aaron Rodgers numbers), but I do think a 4000 yard season with a 95 rating is possible.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 02:01 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: We have the least need for a QB in the entire division eh?

1. Steelers-Regardless of Ben's age, he is currently by far the best QB in the entire division. For all we know he could play another 3-4 years and perform at an elite level.  I can completely understand why they'd draft a QB as they did in this draft since their backup is questionable and at some point, Ben needs a replacement.

2. Browns-I'd bet many would argue that Tyrod Taylor and now Baker Mayfield is a much better duo than Andy Dalton and Barkely.  Most astute observers would take the Browns pair over ours. Mayfield has a world of potential and Taylor is a serviceable QB.

3. Ravens- Flacco is inconsistent and has mediocre regular season stats, but let's be real. He's a superowl MVP and nobody can take that away from him. I'd agree that over the last few years he has declined quite a bit, but I'd argue that Dalton has declined as well. Even if you want to argue that Flacco has declined more than Dalton the bottom line is now they have a guy with tremendous upside in Lamar Jackson. I'd take the pair of Flacco and Jackson any day of the week over Dalton and Barkely moving forward.

All three teams in our division now have at least 2 QBs that have value. We are the only one with one QB, and you could make the case that by seasons end we will have the worst starting QB in the division. Time will tell.
Browns can pull a win easily against us if their new team comes along well quickly, might even end up being one of those 0-whatever to 11-whatever to get in the playoffs team this year. We certainly have an advantage with retention but Tyrod Taylor is mobile and experienced. Not gonna be the same Browns we played last year, hopefully with our revamp team, it will come down to coaching and I have faith we will win both unless we are still in the "no need for halftime adjustments" methodology.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 03:07 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Browns can pull a win easily against us if their new team comes along well quickly, might even end up being one of those 0-whatever to 11-whatever to get in the playoffs team this year. We certainly have an advantage with retention but Tyrod Taylor is mobile and experienced. Not gonna be the same Browns we played last year, hopefully with our revamp team, it will come down to coaching and I have faith we will win both unless we are still in the "no need for halftime adjustments" methodology.

They may get a win against us this year but I promise you it will not be easy.  They have a whole team full of new guys and and what is the guarantee it will come together.   Even if it does come together, is it realistic to think it will happen quickly? 

They also also have a HC who will thoroughly **** up his QB situation like he did last year because that's just who he is.  When there is heat on him, he throws it outward. 

And we have gotten better too, maybe much better.  We were already seven wins better than them to begin with.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We had much larger issues to address at this point than a QB. I'm having a tough time with not addressing the OL to my expectations, but those were my expectations. Andy's line has been atrocious at best and he did so much running last year you would have thought he was training for the summer Olympics. However, we did make some major improvements and I trust that Pollack knows what he has and believes he can make it happen with them.

Our D was declining rapidly. Not only were they aging, but also they lacked discipline. They sometimes looked like a H.S. team out there. I feel with Pollack and the additions in the draft, we could begin repairing what Zimmer built. Think about it, Zimmers been gone for awhile and Paulie was not that good of a DC. However, he was just good enough to keep it deteriorating instead of crumbling. We have some minds (unfortunately one of them is Marvin) redirecting the focus of this team and what we need to do to win.

Winning next year is what we all want and may actually be a pipe dream because its tough to turn a team around in one year. However, the direction we were heading was unacceptable and putrid. Going to stand behind these guys this year and hope we made some significant changes to our team. On paper it's not so bad but the coaching will tell us next year the direction the team is heading. I won't even pretend to think I know more than these guys who get paid millions to orchestrate. I just hope the music they put out next year is bad ass!

I think it will be.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 03:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote:  I'm having a tough time with not addressing the OL to my expectations, but those were my expectations. 
Read my post in the grade the draft thread where I gave my grade.
Reply/Quote