Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Real Impact of the botched McCarron Trade
Hi all,

I was out of town for most of the week so I didn't get a chance to post. I keep reading a lot of posts about who is to blame...but I don't see many on the actual impact.

As you know, I contend that since we don't really use free agency...we can't hit on enough draft picks to replace all of our needs and losses in free agency. At minimum we need 4 new offensive lineman...and perhaps have some lesser needs at other positions.

With these extra 2 draft picks...basically equivalent to end of 1st and 2nd Round picks...we COULD have really addressed the offensive line bigtime.

2nd and 3rd Round picks are prime spots for good Centers and Guards. Then take a Tackle with your 1st Round pick. Then you still have a 4th pick in that mix and I'm not even counting Comp picks.

We could have conceivably added a T, C, G, and LB or TE with our picks.

Now, who knows what we'll do. Probably a DT or DE as Atkins and Dunlap are going to be free agents.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 10:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hi all,

I was out of town for most of the week so I didn't get a chance to post. I keep reading a lot of posts about who is to blame...but I don't see many on the actual impact.

As you know, I contend that since we don't really use free agency...we can't hit on enough draft picks to replace all of our needs and losses in free agency. At minimum we need 4 new offensive lineman...and perhaps have some lesser needs at other positions.

With these extra 2 draft picks...basically equivalent to end of 1st and 2nd Round picks...we COULD have really addressed the offensive line bigtime.

2nd and 3rd Round picks are prime spots for good Centers and Guards. Then take a Tackle with your 1st Round pick. Then you still have a 4th pick in that mix and I'm not even counting Comp picks.

Now, who knows what we'll do. Probably a DT or DE as Atkins and Dunlap are going to be free agents.

completely agree.  or could have used picks to trade up for an immediate starter on the o-line
Reply/Quote

There's almost no way we aren't going to address the OL in the draft or FA next off season. The only way that I see us not picking at least 2 in the first 3 rounds is if there's an absolutely amazing player that you CAN'T pass up. I know the front office doesn't value OL as much as they should, but after this year I don't see how they don't know that the OL is the only thing holding this team back from being great. It kind of makes me upset that the NFL is so weak this year, and we are just one unit away from being a really good team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 02:11 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: There's almost no way we aren't going to address the OL in the draft or FA next off season. 

Honestly, I felt that way last year. So it wouldn't shock me too much if they ignored it again.

Of course, they will address it at some point, it's just that the Mike Brown Bengals are often (very) slow to address problems.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 02:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I felt that way last year. So it wouldn't shock me too much if they ignored it again.

Of course, they will address it at some point, it's just that the Mike Brown Bengals are often (very) slow to address problems.

Agree. They tend to let guys on the offensive lines contracts expire before they get rid of them.

Like I'm relatively confident they will draft a Center in the 2nd to 4th Rounds and that will be the starter.

At Tackle...I'm not so sure. Ced and Fisher are signed relatively cheap. I think there is a high probability that atleast 1 of those guys start next year.

The crazy thing about the draft is say we take a Tackle in the 2nd Round. Fans will be all hyped up...but there's no guarantee that that player is an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
I can tell you for a fact that if the Bengals had walked into the 2018 NFL draft with a 1, two 2s and three 3s -- the OL would have been addressed heavily.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 04:23 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I can tell you for a fact that if the Bengals had walked into the 2018 NFL draft with a 1, two 2s and three 3s -- the OL would have been addressed heavily.

That's great to learn.  However, if the front office doesn't change their philosophy of not valuing interior linemen, it could be a rough road ahead.  College football just isn't turning out as many NFL ready Tackles, as they used to.  You can thank the proliferation of the spread offense in CFB for that.  The real gold is in the interior linemen, you have to have a solid base for the inside running game, as well as a foundation to form a pocket from.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

If Dunlap and Atkins walk in FA, there will be hell to pay in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 06:24 PM)Derrick Wrote: If Dunlap and Atkins walk in FA, there will be hell to pay in Cincy.

Will there? Whitworth left. Zeitler. Nelson. Spikes. Joseph. Sanu. Jones. Justin Smith. etc.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 04:23 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I can tell you for a fact that if the Bengals had walked into the 2018 NFL draft with a 1, two 2s and three 3s -- the OL would have been addressed heavily.

Well, if they walk into the draft with three total picks, they all should be spent on the OLine.  That one unit has already killed one season and is in the process of damning another. 

Heavily address it no matter what.  Do not use the trade that wasn't as any kind of excuse not to fix the damn line. 

It should be addressed in FA, but the chances of getting a good, not over the hill lineman or two...well, we know the answer to that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I look at it from a different angle. Instead of having AJMC and thinking they are set at QB. The Browns will be looking QB in the draft and finally end up getting a great one. And end up getting a playoff win before we do
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 07:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I look at it from a different angle. Instead of having AJMC and thinking they are set at QB. The Browns will be looking QB in the draft and finally end up getting a great one. And end up getting a playoff win before we do

Yay! We're competing to get a playoff win before the worst team in professional sports.
Reply/Quote