Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real Problem on Offense
Bengaldom, can we talk?

Today the Cincinnati Bengals put up a paltry 33 yards rushing. That’s unbelievable. Now let’s look at Lamar Jackson who ran all over the Bengals’ defense for 152 yards all by himself.

Joe Mixon got ten yards on eight carries. That means he’s being stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage which means there’s no gaps, no holes, and no creases.

Neither quarterback threw for a touchdown today and in fact their production was separated by one yard; Andy Dalton threw for 235 yards and Lamar Jackson threw for 236 yards.

The 0-6 record the Bengals are currently sporting is due to the lack of a run game. No run game means making few if any first downs, losing control of the clock, and it makes the offense one dimensional.

This means the offensive line isn’t just historically bad. This means they aren’t being coached correctly in Cincinnati because every one of these guys from Billy Price to Jake Fisher to Cedric Ogbuehi were all highly graded in college. Look at all of them on film in college and you’ll see maulers with great technique.

To me this screams the scheme and blocking technique, especially run blocking, is badly in need of an update.

Jim Turner might be even worse than Paul Alexander and I’m retching up my lunch just writing that. Under Turner next year Jonah Williams will look like a bust, just like Price, Fisher, and Ogbuehi. Not might. Will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Bengaldom, can we talk?  

Today the Cincinnati Bengals put up a paltry 33 yards rushing.  That’s unbelievable.  Now let’s look at Lamar Jackson who ran all over the Bengals’ defense for 152 yards all by himself.

Joe Mixon got ten yards on eight carries.  That means he’s being stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage which means there’s no gaps, no holes, and no creases.  

Neither quarterback threw for a touchdown today and in fact their production was separated by one yard; Andy Dalton threw for 235 yards and Lamar Jackson threw for 236 yards.

The 0-6 record the Bengals are currently sporting is due to the lack of a run game.  No run game means making few if any first downs, losing control of the clock, and it makes the offense one dimensional.

This means the offensive line isn’t just historically bad.  This means they aren’t being coached correctly in Cincinnati because every one of these guys from Billy Price to Jake Fisher to Cedric Ogbuehi were all highly graded in college.  Look at all of them on film in college and you’ll see maulers with great technique.

To me this screams the scheme and blocking technique, especially run blocking, is badly in need of an update.

Jim Turner might be even worse than Paul Alexander and I’m retching up my lunch just writing that.  Under Turner next year Jonah Williams will look like a bust, just like Price, Fisher, and Ogbuehi.  Not might.  Will.

Absolutely. The OL is atrocious. The league's worst maybe? It has been awful for a few years now.

The passing game isn't spectacular, but Dalton puts up ok numbers. Some of his games have been decent (at least stat-wise). But the run game? When's the last time we had a decent number of rushing yards? The OL is just abysmal and until we fix that it won't matter who we're drafting in the 1st round.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 06:39 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Absolutely. The OL is atrocious. The league's worst maybe? It has been awful for a few years now.

The passing game isn't spectacular, but Dalton puts up ok numbers. Some of his games have been decent (at least stat-wise). But the run game? When's the last time we had a decent number of rushing yards? The OL is just abysmal and until we fix that it won't matter who we're drafting in the 1st round.

The Bengals need to poop-can the incompetent Jim Turner no later than tomorrow morning. He’s going to get Andy Dalton hurt. At this point I’m worried more about Andy’s health than winning. Turner was Zac Taylor’s worst hire by far and it’s time to let him go. Heck, I would issue a restraining order to keep him away from any NFL locker room.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 06:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals need to poop-can the incompetent Jim Turner no later than tomorrow morning.  He’s going to get Andy Dalton hurt.  At this point I’m worried more about Andy’s health than winning.  Turner was Zac Taylor’s worst hire by far and it’s time to let him go.  Heck, I would issue a restraining order to keep him away from any NFL locker room.

Who are you replacing him with mid-season?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 07:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Who are you replacing him with mid-season?

Willie Anderson. Willie is smart and his technique was amazing.
Reply/Quote
Don’t forget another consequence of no run game - no play action passing. And Zac’s scheme is built on play action passing.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 07:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Willie Anderson.  Willie is smart and his technique was amazing.

Sorry...Willie isn't a friend of ZT...so he won't be considered.

But, yes your premise is correct. The coaching has been terrible. It's not the only problem though.
Reply/Quote
So, the return of the mighty Alex Redmond did not, indeed save the day?? Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Bengaldom, can we talk?  

Today the Cincinnati Bengals put up a paltry 33 yards rushing.  That’s unbelievable.  Now let’s look at Lamar Jackson who ran all over the Bengals’ defense for 152 yards all by himself.

Joe Mixon got ten yards on eight carries.  That means he’s being stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage which means there’s no gaps, no holes, and no creases.  

The 0-6 record the Bengals are currently sporting is due to the lack of a run game.  No run game means making few if any first downs, losing control of the clock, and it makes the offense one dimensional.

This means the offensive line isn’t just historically bad.  This means they aren’t being coached correctly in Cincinnati because every one of these guys from Billy Price to Jake Fisher to Cedric Ogbuehi were all highly graded in college.  Look at all of them on film in college and you’ll see maulers with great technique.

Jim Turner might be even worse than Paul Alexander and I’m retching up my lunch just writing that.  Under Turner next year Jonah Williams will look like a bust, just like Price, Fisher, and Ogbuehi.  Not might.  Will.

It's all about a bad OL on offense, bad coaching (top to bottom) and a front office that doesn't give a shit about winning.

The play designs do not take advantage of the player's skills and seem to be predicted by opposing defenses. The middle of the line was redone during the off-season and this year's coaching staff brought back Andre Smith as their only backup tackle. So you can't even blame this line on Marvin, if Marvin even got to pick last year's line, which I am doubting. But this line is even worse.

The same in true on defense. The schemes and defense called doesn't help out our weak LBers and is Austin-esque in its ineptness.

Reply/Quote
Should have never let Pollack leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It takes some a little longer to grasp reality than others. Last couple weeks the oline made holes for Mixon to get over 4 YPC. This week they keep Andy clean going against a very aggressive Raven's D. But somehow, someway: they're the problem. The problem is obvious and it's been the same problem going on 4 years straight.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 08:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Should have never let Pollack leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. How the hell does Mixon go from 4.9 to 3.4 in one season? No way Glenn made that big of a difference.

It has to be scheme and coaching.

Reply/Quote
Offensive line play is down all over the league. Sure, the offensive line is bad - and it makes the overall offense bad, but c'mon.

This offense is awful because of the scheme, the play calling, the offensive line, everything.

Half of it falls on ZT. His offense is unimaginative and about as vanilla as you can get. Their are plenty of teams out there with bad offensive lines but they still figure out ways to put points on the board. ZT is completely in over his head.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 09:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It takes some a little longer to grasp reality than others. Last couple weeks the oline made holes for Mixon to get over 4 YPC. This week they keep Andy clean going against a very aggressive Raven's D. But somehow, someway: they're the problem. The problem is obvious and it's been the same problem going on 4 years straight.

Right? They are a problem, yes - but they aren't the entire problem. This offense is pathetic because of the scheming, the play calling, everything. It looks WORSE than the shit that has looked BAD over the past 2-3 years. It's a frigging joke. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 06:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals need to poop-can the incompetent Jim Turner no later than tomorrow morning.  He’s going to get Andy Dalton hurt.  At this point I’m worried more about Andy’s health than winning.  Turner was Zac Taylor’s worst hire by far and it’s time to let him go.  Heck, I would issue a restraining order to keep him away from any NFL locker room.

Dude, your head appears to be a paculiar place, and i mean that in the most respectful, tongue-in-cheek way.

You're more concerned with Dalton's health than winning...   Why? I doubt you're his Dad. 

Jim Turner, as crappy an oline coach as he may be, is working with moldy, soft poop for the most part. He's on his 38th LT, LG is a revolving door, RG is average at best and RT is average to getting worse every week. If he had the Oline that was projected before training camp, this could be a whole other story. If he has the Oline he could have next year, it could be a whole other story. 

You simply can't polish a turd. This Oline is bad because it's full of backups due to injuries, retirement and bad choices in the draft and FA. 

To use a familiar line from around here. "No Oline coach could be successful with this line". 

Poor little Andy Dalton will be just fine. He has a fat bank account, from all appearances a great wife and family and he's set for life. He doesn't really need you worrying about him. And Jim Turner just called and said, "get off my nuts, i got accountants and bakers to work with here" end quote. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 07:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Willie Anderson.  Willie is smart and his technique was amazing.

So, Willie Anderson has the magical ability to make backups play better because he had talent when he played?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 09:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: "get off my nuts, i got accountants and bakers to work with here" end quote. 

"Oooh coach someone say bakers?"

[Image: th?id=OIP.GohC3OqqMGgG38zM7StsWgHaHO&pid...=176&h=173]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Real problem Andy Dalton. I said it. Live with it. We all have to.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 09:48 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Real problem Andy Dalton.  I said it. Live with it. We all have to.

Dalton hasn't been good but hands down the real issue with the offense has been the line. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 09:48 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Real problem Andy Dalton.  I said it. Live with it. We all have to.

It is not Dalton it's the O-Line. Look even the backs are not getting yards. It all starts up front. Everyone loves QB and big name WR but you win with a strong O-Line. 
Reply/Quote