Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real Problem on Offense
I missed the 1st half hour of the game. Did Redmond replace Miller because of poor play or is Miller injured?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I missed the 1st half hour of the game. Did Redmond replace Miller because of poor play or is Miller injured?

Groin injury
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:18 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: It is not Dalton it's the O-Line. Look even the backs are not getting yards. It all starts up front. Everyone loves QB and big name WR but you win with a strong O-Line. 

Guys like Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, and Bill Belichick agree. Now what do all these guys have in common?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Dalton hasn't been good but hands down the real issue with the offense has been the line. 

Play calling is probably equally as big of a problem honestly. Especially in the RZ.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Play calling is probably equally as big of a problem honestly. Especially in the RZ.

That’s true but let’s examine why. The Bengals are currently one dimensional on offense — pass only — because the run blocking is atrocious. That’s why Cincinnati can’t go play action in the Red Zone because the defense knows they Bengals can’t run. Therefore all an opposing defense has to do is stack everyone in front of the goal line and dare Andy Dalton to throw a back shoulder fade into double or triple coverage. With that being said, today’s rushing touchdown came on play action when everyone was covered as usual. However, Baltimore committed a rare brain fart and didn’t use their linebackers to shoot the gaps. Dalton saw daylight on the left side A-gap and made the Ravens pay.

Basically if you can’t run block at all and your pass blocking isn’t great, scoring in the Red Zone is all but impossible.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Play calling is probably equally as big of a problem honestly. Especially in the RZ.

Play calling is limited by the line.

Look at what we expected with the Sean McVay West Coast....we aren't getting run blocking, we aren't getting play action, and we aren't getting long developing routes , or even check downs to RBs.

The Line is killing thr entire team.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s true but let’s examine why.  The Bengals are currently one dimensional on offense — pass only — because the run blocking is atrocious.  That’s why Cincinnati can’t go play action in the Red Zone because the defense knows they Bengals can’t run.  Therefore all an opposing defense has to do is stack everyone in front of the goal line and dare Andy Dalton to throw a back shoulder fade into double or triple coverage.  With that being said, today’s rushing touchdown came on play action when everyone was covered as usual. However, Baltimore committed a rare brain fart and didn’t use their linebackers to shoot the gaps.  Dalton saw daylight on the left side A-gap and made the Ravens pay.

Basically if you can’t run block at all and your pass blocking isn’t great, scoring in the Red Zone is all but impossible.

We are currently bottom of the league in rushing yards per game - 56.5 yards average!!! ...with Mixon and Gio Bernard at RB.

We are currently joint bottom of the league rushing YPC  - 3.1 yards.

If its that bad its everything going wrong.

And when everything is going wrong the ultimate responsibility has to end up at the HC - Taylor.  
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, the return of the mighty Alex Redmond did not, indeed save the day??   Ninja

Lol...Alex Redmond.  
Reply/Quote
Here's an idea: Run an unbalanced line. Heck you want to get the new guys more snaps anyways, put 6 or even 7 offensive linemen out there. Or else use Cethan as lead blocker -- I'm not a fan of him but isn't he a "hybrid" back? Which basically means part full back right?

Oh and while we're at it, why not try a 4 6 defense. It is designed to stop the run. I know none of this is as simple as switching formations, especially when our guys struggle to diagnose and react correctly to what the opposition is doing but at this point it couldn't hurt either. Maybe you'll actually scare the other side in to making an audible into a pass play.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 09:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dude, your head appears to be a paculiar place, and i mean that in the most respectful, tongue-in-cheek way.

You're more concerned with Dalton's health than winning...   Why? I doubt you're his Dad. 

Jim Turner, as crappy an oline coach as he may be, is working with moldy, soft poop for the most part. He's on his 38th LT, LG is a revolving door, RG is average at best and RT is average to getting worse every week. If he had the Oline that was projected before training camp, this could be a whole other story. If he has the Oline he could have next year, it could be a whole other story. 

You simply can't polish a turd. This Oline is bad because it's full of backups due to injuries, retirement and bad choices in the draft and FA. 

To use a familiar line from around here. "No Oline coach could be successful with this line". 

Poor little Andy Dalton will be just fine. He has a fat bank account, from all appearances a great wife and family and he's set for life. He doesn't really need you worrying about him. And Jim Turner just called and said, "get off my nuts, i got accountants and bakers to work with here" end quote. 

That's the jist of it. Last year, we had Glenn, Boling, Hopkins, Redmond, and Hart. Boling retired, Glenn has yet to play, and Redmond just took his first snaps of the season. Last year's bad unit started an out of work G at LT this week. Yikes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I missed the 1st half hour of the game. Did Redmond replace Miller because of poor play or is Miller injured?

I missed the rest....lol.

You did miss a nice kickoff return for a TD. 

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 09:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, Willie Anderson has the magical ability to make backups play better because he had talent when he played?

Doesn't the above  kinda remind you of Mike Brown?

"I am a football genius because my Dad was a football genius."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 10:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Play calling is limited by the line.

Look at what we expected with the Sean McVay West Coast....we aren't getting run blocking, we aren't getting play action, and we aren't getting long developing routes , or even check downs to RBs.

The Line is killing thr entire team.

That's what I noticed when I watched LA/SEA. I saw some variation of our plays, but they actually had time to develop.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:35 AM)Wyche Wrote: I missed the rest....lol.

You did miss a nice kickoff return for a TD. 

Yes - I saw the highlight. Great play!

I saw the score was 7-7...the refreshed and it was 14-7 and was like WOW - Who scored the TD? And then I saw we had 4 yards of total offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's what I noticed when I watched LA/SEA. I saw some variation of our plays, but they actually had time to develop.

Teams are starting to stop the Rams offense too. But, the distressing thing is that even when Dalton has decent pass protection, we're not scoring.

There have been a couple games where blocking was decent.

One hidden thing is when you blitz good QB's, they burn you because less players are in coverage. Dalton had I think it was the 2nd worst QBR under pressure in the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 08:35 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Here's an idea: Run an unbalanced line. Heck you want to get the new guys more snaps anyways, put 6 or even 7 out there. Or else use Cethan as lead blocker -- I'm not a fan of him but isn't he a "hybrid" back? Which basically means part full back right?

Oh and while we're at it, why not  try a 4 6 defense. It is designed to stop the run. I know none of this is as simple as switching formations, especially when our guys struggle to diagnose and react correctly to what the opposition is doing but at this point it couldn't hurt either. Maybe you'll actually scare the other side in to making an audible into a pass play.

Unbalanced line pretty much made our season in 2009.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2019, 08:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's all about a bad OL on offense, bad coaching (top to bottom) and a front office that doesn't give a shit about winning.

The play designs do not take advantage of the player's skills and seem to be predicted by opposing defenses. The middle of the line was redone during the off-season and this year's coaching staff brought back Andre Smith as their only backup tackle. So you can't even blame this line on Marvin, if Marvin even got to pick last year's line, which I am doubting. But this line is even worse.

The same in true on defense. The schemes and defense called doesn't help out our weak LBers and is Austin-esque in its ineptness.

ZT wants to throw the ball every down,he does not care crap about the run. That is what he likes to do and he is WAY over his head as a head coach.He does not know how to adjust or win anything and his style is just awlful.All he talks about is now his players haven't quit.Well, guess what ZT,your players are now getting sick of hearing your excuses and when the snow starts flying they will indeed pack it in.YOU were a bad hire and all of us ate the hype of the new dey crap.We as die hard fans want wins,just get it done.I am predicting this bengals team will struggle to beat the jags at home,can you believe that ??? Its no wonder we are laughed at every day. :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:49 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: ZT wants to throw the ball every down,he does not care crap about the run. That is what he likes to do and he is WAY over his head as a head coach.He does not know how to adjust or win anything and his style is just awlful.All he talks about is now his players haven't quit.Well, guess what ZT,your players are now getting sick of hearing your excuses and when the snow starts flying they will indeed pack it in.YOU were a bad hire and all of us ate the hype of the new dey crap.We as die hard fans want wins,just get it done.I am predicting this bengals team will struggle to beat the jags at home,can you believe that ??? Its no wonder we are laughed at every day. :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

Yeah, I agree with you. Taylor has been a bunch of hot air.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:20 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Doesn't the above  kinda remind you of Mike Brown?

"I am a football genius because my Dad was a football genius."

Yep. For whatever reason, the other day, i happened upon Barry Sanders' son. He played at Stanford for a bit then transferred to OSU like his dad...but for some reason, the abilities his Dad had, didn't get passed on to Jr, as he had a pretty lackluster college rushing career. No doubt, the guy has a degree and a nice job, but just because Dad did it doesn't mean Son is going to do it. 

Same thing for players and coaching. Just because they were very good/great/HoF, doesn't mean that will translate to coaching others. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:49 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: ZT wants to throw the ball every down,he does not care crap about the run. That is what he likes to do and he is WAY over his head as a head coach.He does not know how to adjust or win anything and his style is just awlful.All he talks about is now his players haven't quit.Well, guess what ZT,your players are now getting sick of hearing your excuses and when the snow starts flying they will indeed pack it in.YOU were a bad hire and all of us ate the hype of the new dey crap.We as die hard fans want wins,just get it done.I am predicting this bengals team will struggle to beat the jags at home,can you believe that ??? Its no wonder we are laughed at every day. :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

He basically calls offense like he's playing Madden.

The thing is, playaction doesn't work if you can't run the ball. And we fake the jet sweep a lot, but teams don't buy it.
Reply/Quote