Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Record Company
So, I was at the local Hooter's Sunday, and a song came on that I really dug that I had never heard.  They were on a classic rock feed, so I assumed it was one of those lost treasures like the Colorado based band Zephyr.  It had a bluesy, classic rock feel to it.  So, I broke out the phone and turned on Shazam to find out it was released in early 2016 by a band called The Record Company.  The song was called "Off the Ground".  I did a little searching around on them, and I really like their stuff.  Has anyone else listened to them?

Here's the You Tube of the song.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: So, I was at the local Hooter's Sunday, and a song came on that I really dug that I had never heard.  They were on a classic rock feed, so I assumed it was one of those lost treasures like the Colorado based band Zephyr.  It had a bluesy, classic rock feel to it.  So, I broke out the phone and turned on Shazam to find out it was released in early 2016 by a band called The Record Company.  The song was called "Off the Ground".  I did a little searching around on them, and I really like their stuff.  Has anyone else listened to them?

Here's the You Tube of the song.

Hell ya!  I can drink some beers to that!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:41 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Hell ya!  I can drink some beers to that!

That's what I'm thinkin'!  Our last record shop closed in October, so I'll be heading up the interstate about 15 miles to Lexington and picking up my copy this weekend.  Killer indie shop up there.....

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's what I'm thinkin'!  Our last record shop closed in October, so I'll be heading up the interstate about 15 miles to Lexington and picking up my copy this weekend.  Killer indie shop up there.....

Recordsmith?

And hula hoop anyone?

Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:44 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That's what I'm thinkin'!  Our last record shop closed in October, so I'll be heading up the interstate about 15 miles to Lexington and picking up my copy this weekend.  Killer indie shop up there.....

I wish we still had ours here in DSM. But it closed years ago. My favorite indie shop was up in Minneapolis called the Electric Fetus. I hope it's still around. They had everything!
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:58 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Recordsmith?

I loved that place, but it and Sound Advice have been closed for several years.  We had a Hasting's here for many years after those two closed.  Now we have nothing.  I go to a funky little joint in Lexington called CDCentral and sometimes to Pop's Records.  CDCentral sells everything music.  CDs, LPs, concert DVDs, shirts, posters/art, new and refurbed turntables.......man, they even still sell cassettes and cassette decks!  They have old refurbed stereo units too.  Brands like Marantz, Technique, Harmann/Kardon, Onkyo, etc.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 11:02 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I wish we still had ours here in DSM.  But it closed years ago.  My favorite indie shop was up in Minneapolis called the Electric Fetus. I hope it's still around. They had everything!

There was a great one in Louisville called ear-x-tacy.  It was two stories, and each floor was huge.  It closed a few years ago.  I was pissed off.  This damn streaming shit is for the birds.  It has destroyed one of my favorite passtimes, browsing record shops.  I could do it for hours.  Not only that, the bit rate is half that of a CD, the sound quality just isn't there.....not to mention the warm, fuzzy sound of an LP.  I still the get the hard copy, and download to computer......I would be furious if my vast collection was lost at the whim of some asshole creating a virus, or the crash of a hard drive.  I'll keep my CDs, thank you.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: I loved that place, but it and Sound Advice have been closed for several years.  We had a Hasting's here for many years after those two closed.  Now we have nothing.  I go to a funky little joint in Lexington called CDCentral and sometimes to Pop's Records.  CDCentral sells everything music.  CDs, LPs, concert DVDs, shirts, posters/art, new and refurbed turntables.......man, they even still sell cassettes and cassette decks!  They have old refurbed stereo units too.  Brands like Marantz, Technique, Harmann/Kardon, Onkyo, etc.

Tried sending you a PM, but your at 100% full.

I've spent many a dollar at Recordsmith, but left the area in '96. As for vintage gear, records, and tapes - we should talk  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 11:18 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Tried sending you a PM, but your at 100% full.

I've spent many a dollar at Recordsmith, but left the area in '96. As for vintage gear, records, and tapes - we should talk  ThumbsUp

Yeah, I got the message to delete some, so I deleted a crap ton, but it still isn't working?  Give me a sec, and I'll do some work and get back with you.  I also ALWAYS hit Earnest Tubbs Record Shop every time I hit NashVegas.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 11:28 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, I got the message to delete some, so I deleted a crap ton, but it still isn't working?  Give me a sec, and I'll do some work and get back with you.  I also ALWAYS hit Earnest Tubbs Record Shop every time I hit NashVegas.

It's still telling me that you've reached your quota. Probably just the system taking its time. I'll check back in a little while, and try re-sending then.

My favorite shops were Tower Records in SF, and Eat More Records in San Rafael. Just don't make it out there much these days, plus eBay has been a good (and easy) source for me

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: There was a great one in Louisville called ear-x-tacy.  It was two stories, and each floor was huge.  It closed a few years ago.  I was pissed off.  This damn streaming shit is for the birds.  It has destroyed one of my favorite passtimes, browsing record shops.  I could do it for hours.  Not only that, the bit rate is half that of a CD, the sound quality just isn't there.....not to mention the warm, fuzzy sound of an LP.  I still the get the hard copy, and download to computer......I would be furious if my vast collection was lost at the whim of some asshole creating a virus, or the crash of a hard drive.  I'll keep my CDs, thank you.

Before I moved to the Louisville area late last year I asked my Indianapolis shop (Luna Music. Great, great store) where I should buy my records down here.  They said Guestroom Records was the best shop in town. Haven't made it down yet, but am really hoping to when I get the chance.

I also have to have a physical copy of stuff.  But, like you, I download it to the computer.  I do most of my listening on my iPod (I'm going to cry when/if it finally breaks down), but having the record or CD or cassette or whatever just makes me feel good.
Reply/Quote
You guys that have all your music on a computer, do you have it on an external hard drive?  I was thinking of picking one of them up and putting my iTunes (i have months worth of music on my iTunes) on it at some point in the future. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 12:34 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Before I moved to the Louisville area late last year I asked my Indianapolis shop (Luna Music. Great, great store) where I should buy my records down here.  They said Guestroom Records was the best shop in town. Haven't made it down yet, but am really hoping to when I get the chance.

I also have to have a physical copy of stuff.  But, like you, I download it to the computer.  I do most of my listening on my iPod (I'm going to cry when/if it finally breaks down), but having the record or CD or cassette or whatever just makes me feel good.

Cool, thanks for the tip.  I'll have to check them out next time I'm in the 'ville.  I don't get to Indy anymore, my family up in Plainfield has all passed away.  If I ever get back up there for the 500 again, I'll have to make a stop there, along with my obligatory stop at Shapiro's Deli.

Yeah, gotta have that hard copy. I also enjoy liner notes, album art, and listening to how an album sometimes plays off each of the songs on it.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 12:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: You guys that have all your music on a computer, do you have it on an external hard drive?  I was thinking of picking one of them up and putting my iTunes (i have months worth of music on my iTunes) on it at some point in the future. 

I would think that would be the best option.  I usually compress the files....and then back up the mp3 on master discs.  I'm paranoid I guess. LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 12:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: You guys that have all your music on a computer, do you have it on an external hard drive?  I was thinking of picking one of them up and putting my iTunes (i have months worth of music on my iTunes) on it at some point in the future. 

I have about 20GB worth of iTunes songs on an old, dedicated laptop that I purged everything but the music (it's an XP, so it no longer sees the web), that I have backed up on several thumb drives, along with CDs of everything. plus LPs and tapes.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 01:19 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I have about 20GB worth of iTunes songs on an old, dedicated laptop that I purged everything but the music (it's an XP, so it no longer sees the web), that I have backed up on several thumb drives, along with CDs of everything. plus LPs and tapes.

My old Dell crashed....I had a shit ton on it. Then the laptop died. Thank goodness I still have the hard copies. ThumbsUp

We now have a HP tablet/notebook, do they make a RCA to USB patch to run from the line out on the CD player that I could use to download music to it?

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 01:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: My old Dell crashed....I had a shit ton on it. Then the laptop died. Thank goodness I still have the hard copies. ThumbsUp

We now have a HP tablet/notebook, do they make a RCA to USB patch to run from the line out on the CD player that I could use to download music to it?

My old Dell is on its 3rd hard drive. Thankfully I was able to salvage iTunes with each repair.  

I think you need an intermediary device between an RCA connection to USB. Some signal conversion seems necessary, though that's as technical as I can get w/o hurting my head .....

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: There was a great one in Louisville called ear-x-tacy.  It was two stories, and each floor was huge.  It closed a few years ago.  I was pissed off.  This damn streaming shit is for the birds.  It has destroyed one of my favorite passtimes, browsing record shops.  I could do it for hours.  Not only that, the bit rate is half that of a CD, the sound quality just isn't there.....not to mention the warm, fuzzy sound of an LP.  I still the get the hard copy, and download to computer......I would be furious if my vast collection was lost at the whim of some asshole creating a virus, or the crash of a hard drive.  I'll keep my CDs, thank you.

Lotta wisdom in this post, Wyche.  I still prefer my physical collection, and adding to it.  Spent many a day losing hours just browsing through record stores.  We have one up here in Dayton called Omega Music.  Just love going in there and leafing through all the CDs and vinyl.  Just can't replicate that experience by downloading a file.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 08:04 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Lotta wisdom in this post, Wyche.  I still prefer my physical collection, and adding to it.  Spent many a day losing hours just browsing through record stores.  We have one up here in Dayton called Omega Music.  Just love going in there and leafing through all the CDs and vinyl.  Just can't replicate that experience by downloading a file.  

Absolutely Llama.  I'm going to bookmark this thread.  My inlaws live in Piqua....and my brother in law just moved back to Dayton from Lexington.  Next time I'm up that way....Imma hit Omega up.  Thanks for the tip.

Reply/Quote

This is what I've been jamming out to.  Great keys along with his guitar work.

The whole album is quality and he plays Ohio frequently because he's from here.  Homegrown badass !

http://www.scottybratcher.com/
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote