Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reds will not suck this year.
They will be a .500 or better team. If Votto hits over .200 the first two months of the season, who knows what they might do.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I sure hope so.

I'm worried about their starting pitching.

They have, basically, one solid, healthy pitcher. We're going to need to rely on at least 2 of the young guys, maybe 3 at certain parts of the season.

If Reed and Stephenson repeat how they played last year, we're in trouble.

And I don't think they want to bring Garrett up to the majors until mid season for service time reasons.

Hopefully, Sal Romano is as good as he's seemed so far this spring training.

The offense does look solid though. Peraza and Herrera seem like good offensive players, at least in Spring Training.
Reply/Quote
I'm predicting 76 total wins just under .500 this year.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I'm ok if they do. There are going to be a lot of young players getting there feet wet this year and that's a necessary growing pain to become a contender again in 2018 and beyond.
Reply/Quote
The W/L record isn't really important this year. The thing that is an absolute must, is to see improvement and growth from the young players. Peraza, Saurez, Hamilton, Winker (if he comes up) Reed, Stephenson, Lorenzen, Iggy, Finnegan. Add in a healthy Mesoraco, and a good train return on Cozart and you can call the season a success.

Sure, they could get hot and surprise, but to me this year is about getting the young guys to show they are MLB players, and then with that young core, coming on strong in 18.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds will actually be okay scoring runs. We have a few decent hitters.

But our pitching looks like total shit. It would take mukltiple players having "breakout" seasons for us to have a decent pitching staff. It is possible, but not probable.
Reply/Quote
Its gonna be another basement year.. But at least jumbo diaz is gone
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is going to buy the team and take em to the world series.. Just you watch and see.. 
Did I mention that if he takes them to the world series it'll be as spectators and they'll have to catch the number 11 bus to get there and the seats will be lawn chairs from the sidewalk outside the stadium watching it on a 1962 black and white 13 inch Syvania set? 
What's not to like here?
Actually I'm getting somewhat optimistic about the Reds, more so than the other Cincinnati team we won't mention. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reds hitting has been decent. I'm more worried about the pitching this year.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the Reds will actually be okay scoring runs.  We have a few decent hitters.

But our pitching looks like total shit.  It would take mukltiple players having "breakout" seasons for us to have a decent pitching staff.  It is possible, but not probable.

This is a year for prospects like Reed and Stephenson to be thrown into the fire.  There's no expectation for success.  Let them take their lumps in the majors.  Once the arbitration clock is avoided, I'd let Garrett and Romano have a crack at it, too if they're doing well in Louisville.  They aren't a pitching-poor farm system, they just don't have guys that are major league-ready.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 08:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Mike Brown is going to buy the team and take em to the world series.. Just you watch and see.. 
Did I mention that if he takes them to the world series it'll be as spectators and they'll have to catch the number 11 bus to get there and the seats will be lawn chairs from the sidewalk outside the stadium watching it on a 1962 black and white 13 inch Syvania set? 
What's not to like here?
Actually I'm getting somewhat optimistic about the Reds, more so than the other Cincinnati team we won't mention. 

I though he already owned the Reds. I don't see much difference in either organization's ineptitude.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
i hope Price puts Hamilton and Peraza one/two in the line up order.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 01:28 AM)samhain Wrote: This is a year for prospects like Reed and Stephenson to be thrown into the fire.  There's no expectation for success.  Let them take their lumps in the majors.  Once the arbitration clock is avoided, I'd let Garrett and Romano have a crack at it, too if they're doing well in Louisville.  They aren't a pitching-poor farm system, they just don't have guys that are major league-ready.

I don't follow the Reds as much as the Bengals but yeah I know its a rebuild year. But the team looks better than I expected at this point to be honest.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
As much as I want to see Romano and Garrett in the rotation right now with how they've pitched this spring, the team needs to be smart and not start their clocks. Use Feldman and Cody Reed, Stephenson, Finnegan and then give the 5th spot to Arroyo or Adleman. If Feldman looks halfway decent, might be able to flip him for a low tier prospect, then bring up Romano or Garrett and save a season of arbitration. They won't be terrible this season, but they aren't going to be winning anything either. Next season is where the focus should be.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the Reds will actually be okay scoring runs.  We have a few decent hitters.

But our pitching looks like total shit.  It would take mukltiple players having "breakout" seasons for us to have a decent pitching staff.  It is possible, but not probable.

Oh wow, I gotta agree with Fred on this one, when your ace (assuming the opening day starter is an ace) is carrying a 3.94 E.R.A. from last year and is pretty much a journeyman, it's just not looking good on the pitching front. I don't see the pitching doing much at all, but I'm sure there will be a few bright spots appear. Interested to see if Mesoraco makes it through a full season, and would really like to see Hamilton pick up his OBP this year. They will probably be fun to watch, but so are the Rochester Redwings up here. As long as we're not expecting anything and can keep an open mind, I guess it's OK; for the tradition of the club carries us a long way. That being said, I'm pretty sure they WILL suck, but it's OK.
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing 68-74 wins this year. To me, that sucks. They have some young guys with some potential. Look at other rosters though and be objective.
Reply/Quote
They need to either dump Adleman or somehow light a fire under him. He's looking more horrible by the day. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote