Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rookie QB Contract Window
Burrows average salary on his rookie deal is like $9 million a year. Gone are the days when you'd draft a rookie QB and they'd be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.

What an advantage!

So we have 4 more years left of Burrow. Mahomes makes $45 million a year. Burrow, IF he continues to develop will be costly to keep, and it will take a large portion of the cap. Drafting is more important when a QB makes that much as you need to have guys on cheap rookie deals as you can't keep all your veterans.

Our window to compete with Burrow is fairly small. I don't see how this team will be able to build around a QB making $45-50 million a year when they struggle to build around one on a rookie deal.

That's why...WE CAN'T give Zac another year. These rookie years of Burrow are special and we can't waste them!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 01:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrows average salary on his rookie deal is like $9 million a year. Gone are the days when you'd draft a rookie QB and they'd be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.

What an advantage!

So we have 4 more years left of Burrow. Mahomes makes $45 million a year. Burrow, IF he continues to develop will be costly to keep, and it will take a large portion of the cap. Drafting is more important when a QB makes that much as you need to have guys on cheap rookie deals as you can't keep all your veterans.

Our window to compete with Burrow is fairly small. I don't see how this team will be able to build around a QB making $45-50 million a year when they struggle to build around one on a rookie deal.

That's why...WE CAN'T give Zac another year. These rookie years of Burrow are special and we can't waste them!

Agreed.
The Bengals need to go all-in on building around Burrow this offseason with the expectation of getting back to at least 7 wins in 2021 and then competing in the playoffs for 2022-2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.
The Bengals need to go all-in on building around Burrow this offseason with the expectation of getting back to at least 7 wins in 2021 and then competing in the playoffs for 2022-2024.

clock is ticking.....we cannot afford to waste time with ZT and his failed staff and poor decision making.
Dolphins executed their plan perfectly ..start with that blue print
Reply/Quote
Getting ZT away from Burrow is the smart thing to do for multiple reasons.

Reply/Quote
Burrow is smart. Besides that, he has a family ( parents ). If he is not protected fully and believe that the team will get him to Super Bowl, he will be out as fast as he can. The "we told you so" people will be right back in a few years screaming at him to leave and succeed elsewhere. Hopefully the Bengals make him feel comfortable and he plays at a elite level so that this scenario won't come into play.
Reply/Quote
We've got to make the most of his rookie contract, because if Burrow is a fraction as good as we think he is he's gonna command a billion dollar contract.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 03:33 PM)Destro Wrote: Burrow is smart. Besides that, he has a family ( parents ). If he is not protected fully and believe that the team will get him to Super Bowl, he will be out as fast as he can. The "we told you so" people will be right back in a few years screaming at him to leave and succeed elsewhere. Hopefully the Bengals make him feel comfortable and he plays at a elite level so that this scenario won't come into play.

Oh, the Bengals will franchise tag him and make it hard for him to shake free.
Reply/Quote
Not to nitpick, but the Burrow savings really only last for 3 more years.

4 years out (5th year total) would be an option year that pays him top 10 money. Being as they're all pretty much jumbled up, he'll making over 30 million. (The current range from 2-10 is Matt Ryan at 30 mil, Deshaun Watson at 39 mil, with Mahaome sitting at 45 mil)

And we may not even see a discount in 3 years out either. It would not surprise me to see them work out an extension after 2022, and get ahead of it early, just like Mahomes did with KC.

So realistically, I think we have 2 or 3 more years with Burrow at a true rookie discount. The time is NOW if you want to take full advantage.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 04:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not to nitpick, but the Burrow savings really only last for 3 more years.

4 years out (5th year total) would be an option year that pays him top 10 money.  Being as they're all pretty much jumbled up, he'll making over 30 million.  (The current range from 2-10 is Matt Ryan at 30 mil, Deshaun Watson at 39 mil, with Mahaome sitting at 45 mil)

And we may not even see a discount in 3 years out either.  It would not surprise me to see them work out an extension after 2022, and get ahead of it early, just like Mahomes did with KC.

So realistically, I think we have 2 or 3 more years with Burrow at a true rookie discount.  The time is NOW if you want to take full advantage.

That's a really good point and it goes to why we can't have Zac one more year.
Reply/Quote
 Why does it take non-professional fans to understand the obvious?

Shouldn't this have been clear to anyone with a brain in their head the first day the Bengals knew they would get Burrow?

Why would you waste even a month of  Burrow on an unproven HC and a second rate staff- much less one or two seasons?

Why would you give Burrow the same, worst in the league offensive line without making serious investments to upgrade?

Why would you have a young and inexperienced coach running 40 plus passing plays a game with this putrid o line knowing how much this increased the chances of serious injury to Burrow?

I have been a loyal fan/son of original 6 ticket seasons ticket holder since 1967

I love the mods, the people on this board and I will read this website to make sure I contribute to future fundraisers.

But I fail to understand why people keep buying season tickets or why I should continue to invest any significant emotional energy in the ship of fools that is the Bengals management team.

A business failing like the Bengals in any other industry would go bankrupt ( which would have happened already years ago).  

Or it would try to survive by hiring a top consultant to audit every aspect of its operations with a goal of making sweeping changes to its management team and obviously failed business.

The Family will never do this.

It hasn't changed for over 30 years. And despite the unprecedented track record of  futility  its never going to change.

Carson Palmer was right.

Joe Burrow's Dad and family need to get their son out of this dumpster fire asap. That kid is way too good for the Brown clown show.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 01:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrows average salary on his rookie deal is like $9 million a year. Gone are the days when you'd draft a rookie QB and they'd be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.

What an advantage!

exactly wasting 1 year was bad enough and the longer Zach is here the worse the locker room is getting and will take longer to clean up when hes gone.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh, the Bengals will franchise tag him and make it hard for him to shake free.

Yeah, that's possible. That is years away ( as is everything ), but highly skilled/elite players tend to hate being tagged. You'll get that one year, maybe, then what? Kirk Cousins has a bank each from Washington and Minnesota, while Washington mostly didn't get their money's worth out of it.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 04:18 PM)bengals67 Wrote:  Why does it take non-professional fans to understand the obvious?

Shouldn't this have been clear to anyone with a brain in their head the first day the Bengals knew they would get Burrow?

Why would you waste even a month of  Burrow on an unproven HC and a second rate staff- much less one or two seasons?

Why would you give Burrow the same, worst in the league offensive line without making serious investments to upgrade?

Why would you have a young and inexperienced coach running 40 plus passing plays a game with this putrid o line knowing how much this increased the chances of serious injury to Burrow?

I have been a loyal fan/son of original 6 ticket seasons ticket holder since 1967

I love the mods, the people on this board and I will read this website to make sure I contribute to future fundraisers.

But I fail to understand why people keep buying season tickets or why I should continue to invest any significant emotional energy in the ship of fools that is the Bengals management team.

A business failing like the Bengals in any other industry would go bankrupt ( which would have happened already years ago).  

Or it would try to survive by hiring a top consultant to audit every aspect of its operations with a goal of making sweeping changes to its management team and obviously failed business.

The Family will never do this.

It hasn't changed for over 30 years. And despite the unprecedented track record of  futility  its never going to change.

Carson Palmer was right.

Joe Burrow's Dad and family need to get their son out of this dumpster fire asap. That kid is way too good for the Brown clown show.

It's pretty simple, when there is a failure or when things don't go as people expect they can do 1 of 2 things:

1 ) Take a hard look in the mirror. Own it. Take accountability. Say I control this. And make changes to fix it.
2 ) Blame external factors. In this case injuries, covid, Zac starting after the SB, management, etc.

To me, Zac has shown in his past and here that he's just a terrible coach.

But, the Bengals management has a lot of group think and seems to do a lot of #2. It's easier than admitting they've failed for a large portion of 30 years.
Reply/Quote