Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Run Game
(10-26-2022, 10:39 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: The team that relinquished a 32 point third quarter lead in Buffalo.  Maybe a good running game would have helped that day.

man I still remember that
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:01 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It just doesn't make sense to run when....

I'm just kidding. I've beat this damn topic to death. I'll leave it alone. It would be nice to see the Bengals be able to convert 3rd/4th & short more often, especially in 4th down situations. Being aggressive on 4th can & will win more games, but when your run game is this damn bad, it is hard. There has at least been some improvement with gap being called more, but there were also plenty of gap runs called early on in the season. Against Atlanta, Cincinnati ran primarily gap and the run game was awful still.

I just think we are in for another season of the run game being terrible. The team goes where Burrow takes them, and that's doubly true for this season. 

Even if the Bengals ARE a high powered passing offense, it's still important to show that they CAN run the ball effectively when they want/need to.  

Weather to mitigate inclement weather, or to slow down an unruly pass rush, sooner or later a situation will dictate that they must run the ball.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 04:20 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Aka, the old Houston Oilers...

[Image: original.jpeg?1620139169]

The "Chuck and Duck" as their DC Bum Phillips tabbed their offense and by the way he ended up punching the OC over it on the sideline because he frequently was putting the D in such bad positions.  

Wouldn't say the Bengals mirror that offense exactly but former Louisville WR Ernest Givens was really fun to watch on that team and Warren Moon does not get the credit he deserves imo.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:01 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It just doesn't make sense to run when....

I'm just kidding. I've beat this damn topic to death. I'll leave it alone. It would be nice to see the Bengals be able to convert 3rd/4th & short more often, especially in 4th down situations. Being aggressive on 4th can & will win more games, but when your run game is this damn bad, it is hard. There has at least been some improvement with gap being called more, but there were also plenty of gap runs called early on in the season. Against Atlanta, Cincinnati ran primarily gap and the run game was awful still.

I just think we are in for another season of the run game being terrible. The team goes where Burrow takes them, and that's doubly true for this season. 

Oh I fully agree. It would be really, really sweet though if like you say, we could not get stuffed 8 or 9 out of 10 X on 3rd and short. And could burn some clock late running when we need too. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even if the Bengals ARE a high powered passing offense, it's still important to show that they CAN run the ball effectively when they want/need to.  

Weather to mitigate inclement weather, or to slow down an unruly pass rush, sooner or later a situation will dictate that they must run the ball.

Yep

Sure is nice when there's 7 minutes to go in the game and you're up by 9 to burn 4 and a half minutes off running it and kicking a FG. Making them burn their TO'S
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The "Chuck and Duck" as their DC Bum Phillips tabbed their offense and by the way he ended up punching the OC over it on the sideline because he frequently was putting the D in such bad positions.  

Wouldn't say the Bengals mirror that offense exactly but former Louisville WR Ernest Givens was really fun to watch on that team and Warren Moon does not get the credit he deserves imo.  

My first Bengals game was vs. Oilers. What was that WR return guy 00, oh yes Billy (white shoes) Johnson.

We lost 
Reply/Quote
Chance of rain Monday night in Cleveland.... that would bode well for the Browns.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:15 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Chance of rain Monday night in Cleveland.... that would bode well for the Browns.

Wasn't there like a prime time game, Bengals vs Brady-led Patriots, that we won because the rain seemed to stop when we were on offense but was like downpouring when the Patriots were on offense?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:20 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Wasn't there like a prime time game, Bengals vs Brady-led Patriots, that we won because the rain seemed to stop when we were on offense but was like downpouring when the Patriots were on offense?

I can't recall if it was prime time but yes on the last drive the Patriots battled what seemed like hurricane force wind/rain that led to a Bengals W
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:08 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My first Bengals game was vs. Oilers. What was that WR return guy 00, oh yes Billy (white shoes) Johnson.

We lost 

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson that takes me back. 

My first game was Joe Montana's 49ers who the Bengals later played in their very first Super Bowl appearance that same season. 

Sounds like the perfect game to start off with but was really cold and they sold the top 6 rows in the stadium for cheap which we bought being only teenagers. We were in the 2nd to last row and the wind was howling over the top. That was not the big issue though per the beer salesman would only walk about a third of the way up before selling out. Had to run down the stairs and back each time we needed a beer as well. 

The game was not what you would expect from the two teams who would later meet in SB either per Kenny Anderson was hurt and the 49ers won easily 21-3. 

Jack Thompson "the Throwin' Samoan" was the QB that day who not many fans were fans of and the entire game chants for Turk Schonert echoed throughout the stadium. This may happen to Mixon soon, just joking.

Still had a great time and was hooked on attending NFL games ever since and became a season ticket holder 10 years later from 91 thru 21. 

Good Times

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:15 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Chance of rain Monday night in Cleveland.... that would bode well for the Browns.

Rain is irrelevant in the passing game nowadays, unless it is a complete downpour/monsoon.

Between technological advances in gloves and cleats, balls are far less-frequently dropped and guys don't slip nearly as much.

(10-26-2022, 11:20 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Wasn't there like a prime time game, Bengals vs Brady-led Patriots, that we won because the rain seemed to stop when we were on offense but was like downpouring when the Patriots were on offense?

1:00 game in 2013. It was cloudy all day, then started to downpour on Brady's last drive, where Adam Jones picked it.

THAT type of rain will affect a game, not regular rain/drizzle.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The "Chuck and Duck" as their DC Bum Phillips tabbed their offense and by the way he ended up punching the OC over it on the sideline because he frequently was putting the D in such bad positions.  

That was Buddy Ryan taking a swing at OC Kevin Gilbride. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 01:57 AM)Joelist Wrote: Also they are clearly in the process of ditching the wide zone in favor of a power gap run scheme. Note the YPC jumped when that began.

Amazing what happens when you run a scheme that best fits your players currently on your team. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote:  Billy "White Shoes" Johnson that takes me back. 

My first game was Joe Montana's 49ers who the Bengals later played in their very first Super Bowl appearance that same season. 

Sounds like the perfect game to start off with but was really cold and they sold the top 6 rows in the stadium for cheap which we bought being only teenagers. We were in the 2nd to last row and the wind was howling over the top. That was not the big issue though per the beer salesman would only walk about a third of the way up before selling out. Had to run down the stairs and back each time we needed a beer as well. 

The game was not what you would expect from the two teams who would later meet in SB either per Kenny Anderson was hurt and the 49ers won easily 21-3. 

Jack Thompson "the Throwin' Samoan" was the QB that day who not many fans were fans of and the entire game chants for Turk Schonert echoed throughout the stadium. This may happen to Mixon soon, just joking.

Still had a great time and was hooked on attending NFL games ever since and became a season ticket holder 10 years later from 91 thru 21. 

Good Times

Beer, in a cold, stiff wind?  Sounds like a recipe for an unexpected, sudden pants warming..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
BTW I miss FredToast thinking of making T shirts to support his release from internet jail.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:39 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: The team that relinquished a 32 point third quarter lead in Buffalo.  Maybe a good running game would have helped that day.

Or a good defense. Rolleyes
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was Buddy Ryan taking a swing at OC Kevin Gilbride. 

Good Post
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If for no other reason, the run game is important in slowing down the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 11:37 AM)M.W. Wrote: If for no other reason, the run game is important in slowing down the pass rush.

A run game would have been nice to have against Cleveland last night. The Stains made the Bengals one-dimensional then took the pass away too.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote