Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Run Game Will Develop as the Season Progresses
Yes, I’m concerned about the Bengals’ inability to run the ball effectively in the preseason but all is not lost.

First of all, Frank Pollack made the wise decision to fix the pass blocking first. That is good for Andy Dalton’s health, not to mention good for the passing game in general. Cincinnati will have to score through the air early on in the season, maybe even adopt a version of the spread offense, in order to put lots of points on the board.

Now to the run game: Frank Pollack has a very powerful run blocking scheme he teaches and if you don’t believe me, watch some film of Ezekiel Elliott in Dallas. Frank’s line opened up huge gaps but, as I said, his technique takes time to assimilate. Rest assured the Cincinnati offensive line will learn this method and Billy Price already knows it from his days at Ohio State.

By mid-season the offensive line will be able to run block as well as they pass block and this will be a huge asset to have in a late-season AFC North playoff run.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree,

As they gel and learn the new scheme it'll get better.

Still think we'll need a RT to really shine though
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 09:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Still think we'll need a RT to really shine though

We might need two of them in a “jumbo package.”
Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP. Once this group that has been put together gets enough time together, they will improve dramatically. We, or at least I, can surmise from the recent quotes by C Billy Price and newly appointed RG Alex Redmond, that these guys have that fighting spirit and completely buy into what new OL coach Frank Pollack is putting together.

It's not a matter of if, but when these guys develop into a strong run blocking unit, and it will take a little time. Personally, I'm excited to watch as this "group of dudes" thrown together as an OL, melds into one mean, cohesive fighting unit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sure hope it comes together. Could be great if so.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think it comes firing out of the gates.

Mixon had mentioned in preseason they were barely missing big plays. With the opportunity to play a full game with our starters they will start hitting.

Pass game is our strength. In the dome i hope we come out throwing. Back em up get them a little winded then start gouging
Reply/Quote
Saints just cut Bushrod- instant upgrade at RT IMO, could be the difference maker in our run game.
Reply/Quote
Yeah i really hope Mixon and this OLine works out but that’s kind of the thing to say if you don’t want expectations too high for the run game tomorrow
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Agree with the original post, but also think Mixon needs to run the play, quit tap dancing, make a cut and go.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 11:20 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think it comes firing out of the gates.

Mixon had mentioned in preseason they were barely missing big plays. With the opportunity to play a full game with our starters they will start hitting.

Pass game is our strength. In the dome i hope we come out throwing. Back em up get them a little winded then start gouging

Agreed.  I think Lazor wanted to have the benefit of no one seeing what he really wanted to institute.  The final two games of last season we got a taste of it.  We had the young guards, Redmond and Westerman, and a better option at LT with Boling over Ced.  They had consecutive 100 yard rushers in Mixon and Gio.  That wasn't a fluke.  

He (Lazor) accomplished this while having to overhaul the blocking scheme during the season and with a strong opposition by the incumbent offensive line coach, PA.  This isn't a secret.  Lazor even referenced it in an interview, stating something to the effect of "we need to be able to disagree without taking it personal".  And, his final two games gave him the equity to have the management move on from PA.  

That couldn't be easy.  He knows how important the rushing attack is to his offense and I think he will have a great plan for the Colts.  

I want this win so bad I can taste it.  No game will be easy, but the Bengals are better than the Colts at every position group.  Yes, the game is in Indy, but if they come out confident and execute a good game play, I think they will win by two scores.

SEIZE THE DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
I think we see a much better run game today. And will strengthen through the season. They’ll be ready.

Reply/Quote
Just a reminder for you youngins who don't remember the past .
https://youtu.be/k1prn8Urmmo
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Well if things don't go well today running the ball, Jermon Bushrod is now available.
Reply/Quote
Looks like the running game is working.. Nice job and hopefully gets better and better..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 12:12 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Well if things don't go well today running the ball, Jermon Bushrod is now available.

Yes. He’s way better than Hart!!!!
Reply/Quote
Mixon, this board owes you an apology for what you did today. 17 carries and 95 yards. GREAT DAY and I don't doubt you ever again!!

Reply/Quote
We thought we had an awesome pass rush....they were nearly non-existent.
We thought we had a terrible run game....it showed up nicely.
Reply/Quote
It was pretty strange - we could run to the left with good effect but runs to the right were just futile.
Reply/Quote
It developed a good bit let's just hope it keeps developing Thursday.
Reply/Quote
The Colts D is crap, can't project off of it
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote