Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Run game.
(11-24-2015, 11:35 PM)MrRager Wrote: Ahem:

Credit to Fred for posting this in a different thread:

a) Last year Hill averaged 4.8 yards per carry on carries 1-10 of each game, but only 3.5 on carries over 20.

b) Last year Hill averaged 6.6 yards per carry out of the shotgun formation.

Hmm, that sort of goes against assertions that we need to run Hill more so he gets going and/or running from the shotgun is making him worse, eh?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As stated before Hill is a lot like Terrell Davis right down to the issues with too much jigging and juking behind the LOS. And the solution is the same solution Mike Shanahan employed with Davis. FIRM coaching with orders (not suggestions) that he takes one (and only one) cut and after that he is to run as hard and fast as he can straight downfield.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 12:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: As stated before Hill is a lot like Terrell Davis right down to the issues with too much jigging and juking behind the LOS. And the solution is the same solution Mike Shanahan employed with Davis. FIRM coaching with orders (not suggestions) that he takes one (and only one) cut and after that he is to run as hard and fast as he can straight downfield.

^^ this
Reply/Quote
People seem to have really short memories.

Last season - in Gio's second season - we were all worried about Gio. This year - in his second season - it's Hill.

For some reason, the Sophomore Slump is an actual thing that affects our RBs but that doesn't mean that the player is broken forever. I fully expect Hill to be great again next season and in the meantime he can still do a job for the offense spelling Gio.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 05:02 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: People seem to have really short memories.

Last season - in Gio's second season - we were all worried about Gio.  This year - in his second season - it's Hill.  

For some reason, the Sophomore Slump is an actual thing that affects our RBs but that doesn't mean that the player is broken forever.  I fully expect Hill to be great again next season and in the meantime he can still do a job for the offense spelling Gio.

I hope we don't have to wait until next season for Hill to start returning to form.  He is needed this season to keep Gio fresh and start wearing down opposing defenses as the season goes on.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 06:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly, and he can't get into a rhythm of hitting the holes when he's only getting spot carries or getting a bunch from the gun.  

We need to start handing him the ball consistently, let him hammer out first downs, and wait for him to break the big one.

I suggest that McCarron hand off the ball to Hill behind the bench 25 times before the game while two or three linemen work him over so he will be primed to carry the ball when the game starts. Rolleyes Something needs to change 'cause he isn't getting the job done! :angry:
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 06:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think (hope) Hill is a volume runner. Have we fed him 20+ yet to see if he heats up late in a game. That's all I got as to what may be our run game whoas this season.

Week 1: 19 carries, 63 yards
Week 6: 16 carries, 56 yards

Only two weeks where he's gotten more than 15... but guess what? It's hard to get a RB more than 20 carries if he's freaking AWFUL on the first 16 or 19. It means your drives are ending quickly, which gives you less offensive plays overall. They were only able to give him those carries because they had at least a 17 point lead in both of them, so they weren't concerned about maintaining a good offense at that point. Don't think he will suddenly go from 3.3 YPC to 5.0 YPC just becasuse he gets an extra 4-5 carries a game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Gil Brandt just posted these numbers:

Both Bengals RBs are among the league's lowest "stuff" %
Meaning they aren't exactly getting lit up at the LOS and they are having chances to do damage on the ground.

This lends itself to the problem of Hill not seeing the holes well and doing what he has done in the past to turn the 4-5 yarders into big runs. He isn't running with conviction. He's hesitant. Whereas Gio is hitting the hole fast and making his move to get into space. He's seeing things better than Hill.

The other big issue is Ryan Hewitt. Hewitt isn't blocking as well as he was last year and quite frankly, with the offense working better out of the 11 personnel than any other formation this year Hewitt just isn't getting the reps either. Does that really have a big factor in it? It does when you notice how much more Hill likes to follow the FB and run good old fashioned power football. He thrives on it.

Right now, Gio fits the offense better. He offers more as a receiver and as a lone back. But they seem to be very cautious about putting too much on him and having him wear down come December and January.

What this ends up meaning is come the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a second gear to hit when it comes to the run game people seem worried about.

it was easier to give hewitt reps when all the pass catchers were hurt last season for sure.

that said when we do rarely throw his way hes made the play. I could see him starting to transistion more into a traditional TE role more than FB as his career continues.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 05:02 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: People seem to have really short memories.

Last season - in Gio's second season - we were all worried about Gio.  This year - in his second season - it's Hill.  

For some reason, the Sophomore Slump is an actual thing that affects our RBs but that doesn't mean that the player is broken forever.  I fully expect Hill to be great again next season and in the meantime he can still do a job for the offense spelling Gio.

We were worried about Gio because they did a couple swing passes where he was led straight into a wrecking ball. It was a hanging him out to dry concern more than a YPC concern. Gio went from 4.0 to 4.1. Hill went from 5.1 to 3.3... lets not pretend it's the same scenario. Gio never looked so hesitant and slow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 03:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We were worried about Gio because they did a couple swing passes where he was led straight into a wrecking ball. It was a hanging him out to dry concern more than a YPC concern. Gio went from 4.0 to 4.1. Hill went from 5.1 to 3.3... lets not pretend it's the same scenario. Gio never looked so hesitant and slow.

we also had to rely on Gio a little more in the pass game and he was about our only weapon vs the colts... and they lit him up badly... and often.

Ill never forget his run vs carolina last year though... they just scored and we needed a big play. Boom one snap and he runs all the way to the endzone.

Isnt Gio our most effective offensive player this year? i think i saw something about him having the most Yards from scrimmage on the team *** Yep he has 891 total yards but only 2 TDs****
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 03:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Week 1: 19 carries, 63 yards
Week 6: 16 carries, 56 yards

Only two weeks where he's gotten more than 15... but guess what? It's hard to get a RB more than 20 carries if he's freaking AWFUL on the first 16 or 19. It means your drives are ending quickly, which gives you less offensive plays overall. They were only able to give him those carries because they had at least a 17 point lead in both of them, so they weren't concerned about maintaining a good offense at that point. Don't think he will suddenly go from 3.3 YPC to 5.0 YPC just becasuse he gets an extra 4-5 carries a game.

I have to agree with this.  If Hill is getting 1-3 yards per touch can we really afford to just keep handing it to him?  Hopefully we get way ahead of the Rams playing the way we have been most of the season and THEN Hill gets to run downhill and accumulate some touches.  I don't think stuffing the ball in his breadbasket 30 times is going to do much more than make this game WAY closer that it should be.

I sort of wish I could go back to this offseason on this board (or the other one) and tell people that in week 12 of the season Hill would have more games with under 25 yards than over 55 yards and see the heads explode. I assume people would conclude he was hurt and/or we were going 6-10.
Reply/Quote