Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Second and Third Quarter Defense
I’m still not exactly certain how to analyze what happened in the first and fourth quarters today but in the second and third quarters the Cincinnati defense played superbly. Even after a rough start, I must give props to Lou Anarumo for making adjustments and holding the Chargers to only eight points in the second and third quarters.

Players were flying to the ball, making picks, tackling running backs for losses, sacking Justin Herbert on consecutive plays, and forcing turnovers.

Thanks to the defense the Bengals crawled out from under a 24-0 deficit and made it a one score game at 24-22.

If only the Bengals’ defense could play that way for four quarters in a row.

Oh wait. They have. Just not today.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Shoutout to Pratt, dude is always ripping the ball out. Opposing rbs are never safe. Also Props to Hilton, another great play this week.

Unfortunately Mike Williams killed us otherwise I thought the defense did well. Jessie Bates was a huge liability today too. Left Keenan Allen wide open on TD 2 and then was in position to make an INT but whiffed hard on TD 3. Disappointed in his play.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:30 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Shoutout to Pratt, dude is always ripping the ball out. Opposing rbs are never safe. Also Props to Hilton, another great play this week.

Unfortunately Mike Williams killed us otherwise I thought the defense did well. Jessie Bates was a huge liability today too. Left Keenan Allen wide open on TD 2 and then was in position to make an INT but whiffed hard on TD 3. Disappointed in his play.

Bates is probably the most disappointing player on the team this season, and I’m not sure anyone else is particularly close.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:30 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Shoutout to Pratt, dude is always ripping the ball out. Opposing rbs are never safe. Also Props to Hilton, another great play this week.

So much for his head being in the wrong place and getting it right during the bye week. 

He honestly looks at times like he is hesitating and pulling up to avoid a penalty or more likely an injury in his contract season.

Thing is, he'll still get a pretty hefty contract offer from somewhere and with his play this season I'm not sure the Bengals will match it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If the offense remembered to concentrate on fundamentals and ball security, I'm sure the outcome would be different.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 09:25 AM)Interceptor Wrote: If the offense remembered to concentrate on fundamentals and ball security, I'm sure the outcome would be different.

Fortunately we have a highly experienced offense-minded coach who can fix this, right?
Reply/Quote
Apple was just an inch away from another interception. The guy has his faults, but he sure seems to be a ball hawk.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 09:50 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Fortunately we have a highly experienced offense-minded coach who can fix this, right?

He fixed it 7 out of 12 times so far.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
While the loss was unfortunate, I commend the team for being able to fight back to within 2 after being down 24-0.
I don't remember a game in ML era where that happened.

As for the record, I don't view it as some terrible thing.
The team is 7-5, which is better than I expected they'd be when I predicted in the offseason.
They already have 7 wins, which is about what I expected, but they have 5 games remaining and play 3 teams with worse records than them (SF, DEN, CLE).
I think they can win 2-3 more games out of the remaining 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 02:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bates is probably the most disappointing player on the team this season, and I’m not sure anyone else is particularly close.

If he's holding back or sulking because of not getting a deal, he's costing himself money.  

I was in his corner in the offseason, but the rumors of him not being right mentally are disappointing.  Jamal Adams was in the same situation on a team that was far worse at the time.  His play never dropped off and eventually he got his money.  Bates got caught up in the hype about wanting to be the highest paid player at his position, and it's potentially going to hurt him when he finally gets a deal.  

You can't hold back before you have the contract in hand.  He's doing the team a favor by showing them he wasn't deserving of what he demanded.  The only person getting financially hurt here is Jesse Bates.
Reply/Quote
As for the defense, the pass rush was lethal in the 2nd and 3rd. Herbert was getting hammered on 3rd down and had nowhere to go. The linebacking group held up better than I expected with Wilson out.

My only beef was the few routes where a LA receiver was running across the middle of the field with no Bengal defender within 15 yards. Maybe they were rushing more guys or doubling Allen or Williams as priorities, I can't say for sure. At least two of the plays that kept the Chargers on the field in the 2nd half were big passes to wrs that were running completely free.
Reply/Quote
Hard to rag on the D in the 4th quarter after seeing Mixon fumble the game away and Burroe through an absolutely horrid INT to end all doubt.
Reply/Quote
THe offense cost us the game. Unable to score. Ints, fumbles, penalties, and more.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m still not exactly certain how to analyze what happened in the first and fourth quarters today but in the second and third quarters the Cincinnati defense played superbly.  Even after a rough start, I must give props to Lou Anarumo for making adjustments and holding the Chargers to only eight points in the second and third quarters.  

Players were flying to the ball, making picks, tackling running backs for losses, sacking Justin Herbert on consecutive plays, and forcing turnovers.

Thanks to the defense the Bengals crawled out from under a 24-0 deficit and made it a one score game at 24-22.

If only the Bengals’ defense could play that way for four quarters in a row.

Oh wait.  They have.  Just not today.

I thought the defense played ok, it's not their fault everyone on offense not named Tee Higgins or Tyler Boyd played like dog shit. You can't turn the ball.over like that against an explosive offense and expect your defense to continuously bail you out. Yet, the defense almost did just that. The Mixon fumble was the coffin nail.....the offense literally gave them points there, took points off the board with a terrible INT in the end zone, took points off the board with a reception that's probably a TD and turned that into an INT. 

A few drives were killed by untimely penalties by replacement players. The offense just had way too many critical mistakes. It's a recurring theme, look at our losses....four turnovers yesterday, four in Chicago, turnovers against Cleveland. We're not good enough to overcome that yet. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:15 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: THe offense cost us the game. Unable to score. Ints, fumbles, penalties, and more.

100%

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote