Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Smiths
Okay, my all time favourite band. As an Englishman from the north The Smiths are undoubtedly the most important band to me be some distance. Given that my other favourites are mainly American, and hugely contrast in genre and style, it makes them all that more special to me really.

I guess my true goal is to find out if they have any American support at all? From what I understand the lead singer (Morrissey) didn't make a great first impression over in the U.S. ...but I was sort of hoping the music would come first. Maybe some have heard them before and taken a dislike? I'd be fairly keen to find out why as I have never understood how other British bands have been so successful in America and The Smiths haven't.

Often accused of being a 'depressing' band, simply not true. Many of the songs are generally humorous, account life in 80's Manchester (okay maybe slightly depressing, but also comforting in a strange way).

The lyrics really do make The Smiths quite special, Morrissey is undoubtedly one of the greatest lyricists of all time for me, it's just incredible poetry. The best two albums are the 'Queen is Dead', and 'Strangeways, here we come' (Strangeways being the infamous Manchester prison).

Johnny Marr on guitar, a truly special musician. Perhaps his guitar playing ability was limited by the style of the band, but his riffs and talent is still plain to see.

Such a shame they could only produce four studio albums, but anyone familiar with Morrissey would probably understand why fellow band members may have not got along with him. Regardless, they are one of the most influential British bands ever, and my personal favourite, far surpassing The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

So if you're interested, I would strongly recommend a listen. Here are a few choice songs, but there are far more....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uxP8h0SZRw (Paint a Vulgar picture, 'Strangeways, here we come', a bit of a dig at the music industry and the effect it can have on musicians)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoCEdZnyFk (Please please please let me get what i want, 'Hatful of Hollow" short and beautiful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cD4oLk_D0 (There is a light and it never goes out, 'The Queen is Dead')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEq8DBxm0J4 (How soon is now - just in case you wanted evidence of Marr's ability and talent)
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 07:18 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: I guess my true goal is to find out if they have any American support at all?

Yes. Its not like they're Beatles or anything, but they have a pretty large following. They're a band that can fit into a number of genres, so they can hit a number of people.  If you're into goth, emo, 80's college rock, indie rock, or an anglophile, you'll probably have a copy of 'The Queen is Dead' at least.
Reply/Quote
They have their audience over here.  It's mainly the Morissey/ Depeche Mode/ Cure crowd though.

The Clash is my favorite musical contribution from your country.  There are many others...  The Jam, Maiden, Sabbath, Buzzcocks, ......
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:06 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Yes. Its not like they're Beatles or anything, but they have a pretty large following. They're a band that can fit into a number of genres, so they can hit a number of people.  If you're into goth, emo, 80's college rock, indie rock, or an anglophile, you'll probably have a copy of 'The Queen is Dead' at least.

The Clash are a brilliant band also

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 07:18 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Okay, my all time favourite band. As an Englishman from the north The Smiths are undoubtedly the most important band to me be some distance. Given that my other favourites are mainly American, and hugely contrast in genre and style, it makes them all that more special to me really.

I guess my true goal is to find out if they have any American support at all? From what I understand the lead singer (Morrissey) didn't make a great first impression over in the U.S. ...but I was sort of hoping the music would come first. Maybe some have heard them before and taken a dislike? I'd be fairly keen to find out why as I have never understood how other British bands have been so successful in America and The Smiths haven't.

Often accused of being a 'depressing' band, simply not true. Many of the songs are generally humorous, account life in 80's Manchester (okay maybe slightly depressing, but also comforting in a strange way).

The lyrics really do make The Smiths quite special, Morrissey is undoubtedly one of the greatest lyricists of all time for me, it's just incredible poetry. The best two albums are the 'Queen is Dead', and 'Strangeways, here we come' (Strangeways being the infamous Manchester prison).

Johnny Marr on guitar, a truly special musician. Perhaps his guitar playing ability was limited by the style of the band, but his riffs and talent is still plain to see.

Such a shame they could only produce four studio albums, but anyone familiar with Morrissey would probably understand why fellow band members may have not got along with him. Regardless, they are one of the most influential British bands ever, and my personal favourite, far surpassing The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

So if you're interested, I would strongly recommend a listen. Here are a few choice songs, but there are far more....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uxP8h0SZRw (Paint a Vulgar picture, 'Strangeways, here we come', a bit of a dig at the music industry and the effect it can have on musicians)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoCEdZnyFk (Please please please let me get what i want, 'Hatful of Hollow" short and beautiful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cD4oLk_D0 (There is a light and it never goes out, 'The Queen is Dead')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEq8DBxm0J4 (How soon is now - just in case you wanted evidence of Marr's ability and talent)

Pretty good band.   Nothing really ground breaking about them, though.  No offense, but I got a chuckle out of the Beatles/Stones comment.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 12:55 PM)McC Wrote: Pretty good band.   Nothing really ground braking about them, though.  No offense, but I got a chuckle out of the Beatles/Stones comment.

I could understand the confusion in my comment, I probably didn't put my point across too well. In musical circles, then The Beatles are more influential yes, but culturally, particularly in the North or working class areas of England, The Smiths made a huge impact.

Reply/Quote
That tiny island country produced some of the greatest music in the world. I think I'll stick with The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, some Elton, Clapton, a little Bowie, and that's off the top of my head. If I saw a top 50 list I'd be like "Oh yeah forgot about them" and "Who the hell is that?"
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 02:08 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: I could understand the confusion in my comment, I probably didn't put my point across too well. In musical circles, then The Beatles are more influential yes, but culturally, particularly in the North or working class areas of England, The Smiths made a huge impact.

Local heroes.  Nothing wrong with that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 04:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That tiny island country produced some of the greatest music in the world.    I think I'll stick with The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, some Elton, Clapton, a little Bowie, and that's off the top of my head.  If I saw a top 50 list I'd be like "Oh yeah forgot about them" and "Who the hell is that?"

I guess there is a way to justify some of those being better than The Smiths, but I don't see Queen or Elton at all. Then again, it's all a matter of taste.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 04:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That tiny island country produced some of the greatest music in the world.    I think I'll stick with The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, some Elton, Clapton, a little Bowie, and that's off the top of my head.  If I saw a top 50 list I'd be like "Oh yeah forgot about them" and "Who the hell is that?"
They love music over there...  They are always ahead of us, even with things that are going on in the musical underground here.  They know about it before most of us do.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I was sort of late to "The Smiths", but after really listening to them a few years back, they are one of my favorite rock bands of all time.

Marr's riffs were a perfect fit for the uniquely sarcastic and longing voice of Morrissey.

My only wish is that they didn't absolutely hate each other so that a reunion tour could be scheduled. I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars to see them perform live.

My favorite tracks are:

"There is a light that never goes out"
"This Charming Man"
"The Boy with a Thorn in his side"
"How soon is now"
"Some Girls are Bigger than Others"
"Panic"
"Barbarism Begins at Home"
"Bigmouth Strikes Again"
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 06:29 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: I guess there is a way to justify some of those being better than The Smiths, but I don't see Queen or Elton at all. Then again, it's all a matter of taste.

Freddie Mercury and Morrisey both have some of the most amazing rock voices of all time.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 05:17 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I was sort of late to "The Smiths", but after really listening to them a few years back, they are one of my favorite rock bands of all time.

Marr's riffs were a perfect fit for the uniquely sarcastic and longing voice of Morrissey.

My only wish is that they didn't absolutely hate each other so that a reunion tour could be scheduled.  I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars to see them perform live.  

My favorite tracks are:

"There is a light that never goes out"  
"This Charming Man"
"The Boy with a Thorn in his side"
"How soon is now"
"Some Girls are Bigger than Others"
"Panic"
"Barbarism Begins at Home"
"Bigmouth Strikes Again"
So happy to have someone else as appreciative of their work as me. Personally Paint a Vulgar Picture is my favourite track. Some brilliant songs in your list though mate. I'd also add Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 07:39 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: So happy to have someone else as appreciative of their work as me. Personally Paint a Vulgar Picture is my favourite track. Some brilliant songs in your list though mate. I'd also add Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

"Heaven Knows" showcases his sarcasm and irony well.  To be honest, I can just put their CDs on and play them all the way through.

The entire catalog is good.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:15 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: "Heaven Knows" showcases his sarcasm and irony well.  To be honest, I can just put their CDs on and play them all the way through.

The entire catalog is good.  
Yes truly great band, such a shame Morrissey is the way he is.

Reply/Quote
Anyone watching Bengals vs Ravens a few weeks back notice that they play "How Soon Is Now?" during kickoffs? Thought that was pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:47 AM)samhain Wrote: Anyone watching Bengals vs Ravens a few weeks back notice that they play "How Soon Is Now?" during kickoffs?  Thought that was pretty cool.

Some arguable appropriate lyrics in that song...

"You shut your mouth! How can you say I go about things the wrong way?" - Marvin Lewis
"You say it's going to happen 'now' but when exactly do you mean? See I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone!" - Bengals fans re: playoff win 
Reply/Quote