It sucks.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Indeed it does

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
The book is one of, if not, my favorite book of all time. The 1990s series for TV was pretty solid overall, outside of casting choices like Molly Ringwald who was absolutely awful in it. But this was just a mess.

Jumping around the timeline while downplaying how Captain Tripps spread just killed it for me right off the bat. Then casting Whoopi as Mother Abigail, I mean cmon.

Anyways if you dont have CBS access streaming, its not worth it. And if you do the free week trial, Id wait a few weeks til all of it is out. I wouldnt waste 10 bucks a month on this crap reboot tho.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:54 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The book is one of, if not, my favorite book of all time. The 1990s series for TV was pretty solid overall, outside of casting choices like Molly Ringwald who was absolutely awful in it. But this was just a mess.

Jumping around the timeline while downplaying how Captain Tripps spread just killed it for me right off the bat. Then casting Whoopi as Mother Abigail, I mean cmon.

Anyways if you dont have CBS access streaming, its not worth it. And if you do the free week trial, Id wait a few weeks til all of it is out. I wouldnt waste 10 bucks a month on this crap reboot tho.

Thanks for tip. I’ve thought about streaming this but maybe not now. Like you, loved this book. Definitely one of my favorites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
One of my favorite books of all time. I flip-flop between the Stand and It being Stephen King's best book. I'm going to watch this, but I don't have high hopes at all.

Fwiw, for fans of King, 11/22/63 is a strong 3rd in my favorite books by him. I would definitely recommend reading it if you haven't. It's also one his best works that translated to film. Hulu has a pretty good mini-series for it.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:54 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The book is one of, if not, my favorite book of all time.

Curious, have you ever read Swan Song by Robert McCammon?

If you haven't it's a must-read for anyone who likes the Stand.  It's a very similar book but it's really, really good.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:54 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The 1990s series for TV was pretty solid overall, outside of casting choices like Molly Ringwald who was absolutely awful in it. But this was just a mess.

How does the new Tom Cullen compare to Dobber from Coach?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How does the new Tom Cullen compare to Dobber from Coach?

Honestly didnt make it that far. I might have been a bit harsh on my official thought out review up above, but it is what it is.

This is one of those reboots that I may be more positive about if it wasnt for the book and older tv series.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Honestly didnt make it that far. I might have been a bit harsh on my official thought out review up above, but it is what it is.

This is one of those reboots that I may be more positive about if it wasnt for the book and older tv series.

ohhh they really remade the for tv mini series?

i thought this was a tongue in cheek type statement about covid lol even if it had been good the timing of releasing it this year is bad lol

As far as the original show went....   I liked it for several reasons...  The intro with dont fear the reaper. (to be fair i have not read the book to my memory the show was long enough)

and that MOON spells EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: One of my favorite books of all time.  I flip-flop between the Stand and It being Stephen King's best book.  I'm going to watch this, but I don't have high hopes at all.

Fwiw, for fans of King, 11/22/63 is a strong 3rd in my favorite books by him.  I would definitely recommend reading it if you haven't.  It's also one his best works that translated to film.  Hulu has a pretty good mini-series for it.

I'm partial to The Gunslinger and The Talisman myself.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:32 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm partial to The Gunslinger and The Talisman myself.

One thing I had no clue about til a few months ago was that Randall Flagg is also the same villain in the Gunslinger series, the man in black. This was from King himself, and whom King considers his best villain he has created.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 02:49 AM)Millhouse Wrote: One thing I had no clue about til a few months ago was that Randall Flagg is also the same villain in the Gunslinger series, the man in black. This was from King himself, and whom King considers his best villain he has created.

makes sense most all his books are connected to the black tower in someway...
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:32 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm partial to The Gunslinger and The Talisman myself.

I tried to get into The Dark Tower series.  I read most of the Gunslinger but couldn't get into it.  I'm tempted to pick it back up from the library and give it another go.

I've never read the Talisman either.  Is that the one he did with Peter Straub (sp?)?
Reply/Quote
Coming up when I did in the military the only way you had to pass time by yourself was to read. I was a Stephen King fanatic. There's a short that references a little league baseball game (no idea the name), but a member of my squad from Maine said SK referenced his little league team. His name was Philbrick and was mentioned. I did read the story and saw the name but cannot remember.

Another member of my squad was from Salem Mass. and born on 31 OCT.

As to the books: I was in Desert Storm and reading It. Walking from my post one dark night I heard a noise in the distant desert. I definitely picked up my pace as I headed for my tent. Never crossed my mind that it might be insurgents, just that damn clown.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not a huge King fan, but I read Salem's Lot when I was 13. Thought I was too old to be spooked by a book but late one night I was reading in my room and went to the kitchen for a snack. I literally ran through the living room just because the curtains were still open. I knew there was nothing outside those windows, but, you know. . .
Reply/Quote
King has control of what is made into film.

If fans of the dark tower can put up with the idris elba crap on a cracker, then The Stand fans should have to suffer through this.
Reply/Quote
Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding.

I just watched the first episode and I'm not even sure I want to continue it. Whose idea was it to have flashabcks and time jumps instead of a linear story?

I can already tell that is going to be horribly done. I just don't understand why they would choose to do the series this way.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 02:09 AM)Benton Wrote: King has control of what is made into film.

If fans of the dark tower can put up with the idris elba crap on a cracker, then The Stand fans should have to suffer through this.

Its hard to turn good books into good movies apparently.

Idris was okay....

M-O-O-N   that spells Tom Cullens     (wasnt that one of the guys from Coach?>)
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 05:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its hard to turn good books into good movies apparently.

Idris was okay....

M-O-O-N   that spells Tom Cullens     (wasnt that one of the guys from Coach?>)

It wasn't so much idris as it was compiling about 30 hours of story about an old gunslinger into a (less than ) two hour film about some young guy travelling around realities. For fans of the books it was 'hey the story never ends... Sorta.' for people who didn't know what was going on, they likely never did.
Reply/Quote