Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Starting 5
One of our "good problems" is we seem to have a lot of talent/ potential in the D-backfield. I've seen folks discuss this but I've never seen a thread dedicated toward it. The position/players:

SS: BATTLE/BELL
FS: STONE/HILL
CB1: CTB
CB2: TURNER
NK: HILTON/HILL

There's also talk that we need a CB to replace Awuzie.

So who you got as our starting 5 come opening day?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Leon Hall?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 07:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Leon Hall?

We brought Crocker back so why not....fixed

Reply/Quote
My guess:

SS: Jordan Battle
FS: Geno Stone
CB2: DJ Turner
NK: Dax Hill

Hilton becomes a Camp-Cap/trade casualty once DH proves he can play nickle

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My guess:

It's a good thread, and we know where some of this is going.  The debate over Hilton being replaced has some writing on the wall but not this year.  Unless they're squeezing every penny for extensions, it's hard to justify moving his contract.  The biggest problem in the secondary was communication, no way you move one of the best nickle corners in light of trying to keep chemistry/leadership.  

Dax does have skill to be a versatile DB, but he should be a wildcard and a bonus if he earns playing time.  I think they still add another corner as insurance behind Turner.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One of our "good problems" is we seem to have a lot of talent/ potential in the D-backfield. I've seen folks discuss this but I've never seen a thread dedicated toward it. The position/players:

We need another boundary corner to replace Chido for sure. Davis is signed but he is a slot. Ivey is coming off a big injury & played 24 snaps or so on D besides. 

I'd start: CTB, Turner, Hilton, Battle, & Stone. 

We will start Bell instead of Battle, I'd guess. The other 4 the same.
Reply/Quote
Bell
Stone
CTB
Hill
Hilton
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 08:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We need another boundary corner to replace Chido for sure. Davis is signed but he is a slot. Ivey is coming off a big injury & played 24 snaps or so on D besides. 

I'd start: CTB, Turner, Hilton, Battle, & Stone. 

We will start Bell instead of Battle, I'd guess. The other 4 the same.

They could also play some 3 safety lineups at times, so no matter who the 5 are, im more interested in snap counts.  You may see more dime looks (depending on matchups).  That could take wear off the LBs or give options if they have injuries at LB. Maybe Bell is out there as a nickle LB more often for instance.  
Reply/Quote
SS- Battle
FS- Stone
NB- Hill
CB1- CTB
CB2- Turner
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One of our "good problems" is we seem to have a lot of talent/ potential in the D-backfield. I've seen folks discuss this but I've never seen a thread dedicated toward it. The position/players:

FS: Geno Stone (Vonn will come in on running downs at times)
CB1: Cam Taylor Britt
CB2: DJ Turner (but we bring in another outside Corner after cuts and let Dax play here at times)
Slot CB: Mike Hilton (with Dax playing TE's and learning this spot for the future at times)
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 08:01 PM)phil413 Wrote: It's a good thread, and we know where some of this is going.  The debate over Hilton being replaced has some writing on the wall but not this year.  Unless they're squeezing every penny for extensions, it's hard to justify moving his contract.  The biggest problem in the secondary was communication, no way you move one of the best nickle corners in light of trying to keep chemistry/leadership.  

Dax does have skill to be a versatile DB, but he should be a wildcard and a bonus if he earns playing time.  I think they still add another corner as insurance behind Turner.

I know that we were all hoping for a breakout year from Dax last season and it didn’t happen, but I still have a hope (maybe a fool’s hope) that he will be able to put it all together and play up to a level worthy of his draft position. If that happens our secondary could be top tier. The one thing Dax does have going for him also, is his versatility.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Where did this Dax Hill being better than Mike Hilton sentiment come from?

Probably just cope. Nobody wants him to wind up a bust, so they’re convincing themselves that he’s better than a top 5 slot defender

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My guess:

You are delirious if you think Hill is taking over Hilton's position week one. Bengals are not going to trade or cut Hilton and cross their fingers that Hill can actually play the slot....
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Where did this Dax Hill being better than Mike Hilton sentiment come from?

Probably just cope. Nobody wants him to wind up a bust, so they’re convincing themselves that he’s better than a top 5 slot defender

Exactly
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You are delirious if you think Hill is taking over Hilton's position week one. Bengals are not going to trade or cut Hilton and cross their fingers that Hill can actually play the slot....

Feel free to list your 5.

TC is usually the time we announce big extensions. The $7 MIL saved by parting with 30-year-old Hilton could go to the Chase bank account. 

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 11:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Feel free to list your 5.

TC is usually the time we announce big extensions. The $7 MIL saved by parting with 30-year-old Hilton could go to the Chase bank account. 

Stone
Battle
CTB
Turner-unfortunately
Hilton

We would weaken our secondary, trying to save money for next year. Just can't see that happening
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You are delirious if you think Hill is taking over Hilton's position week one. Bengals are not going to trade or cut Hilton and cross their fingers that Hill can actually play the slot....

No they aren’t. I’m not like so many on here thinking that the AFC North is the most important thing to focus on in building our team. But Dax Hill over Mike Hilton in our division is a joke. I’m surprised by all the moves at safety. But I really think the Bell move was a surprise and not planned and couldn’t pass it up for possibly only 1 year. I’d expect a corner to be drafted. I really think that the Bengals are always bound and determined to be free to draft the BPA early in the draft rounds…. especially at 1.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 01:31 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Stone
Battle
CTB
Turner-unfortunately
Hilton

We would weaken our secondary, trying to save money for next year. Just can't see that happening

Teams do that every off-season. Is Hill as good of a player as Hilton? No, probably not (even though Hill has some good underlying metrics from the slot). Is the 6.5M in cap savings worth the 15-20% decline in production? Maybe it is. It's a calculation you see across the league. If they can use that 6.5M to improve the roster elsewhere (or ensure the future of the roster), they will consider it. 

The more I look at his contract and age, the more likely I think it is. It's better to move on from a player 1 year too early than 1 year too late. 
Reply/Quote
I love me some Mike Hilton. I had thought he was on a bit of a downturn, but after looking at the numbers he just started slow, picked up during the middle of the season and was playing well at the end of the year. I don't really have a recollection if that's what my eyes were telling me but just looking at the numbers he had one of his better years last year. 

Dax has the athletic ability to be really good but i wouldn't throw Hilton to the side just yet, even if he is 30. Dax can still be more of a Swiss Army knife for now and when Hilton proves he needs to be replaced, Dax can take over then. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
My guess:

Outside CBs: CTB, Turner/Hill/Draft Pick
Slot CB: Hilton
FS: Stone
SS: Bell

I know some think Bell will be backup, but why would he sign so quick to Bengals after being released if he'd be a backup?
Guy is still on the better side of 30 years old and is still a productive starter.

Maybe Bell is ok with coming on board as a mentor and backup though and I'm just overthinking it (like I do most things).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote