Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Starting 5
(04-04-2024, 10:55 AM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Teams do that every off-season. Is Hill as good of a player as Hilton? No, probably not (even though Hill has some good underlying metrics from the slot). Is the 6.5M in cap savings worth the 15-20% decline in production? Maybe it is. It's a calculation you see across the league. If they can use that 6.5M to improve the roster elsewhere (or ensure the future of the roster), they will consider it. 

The more I look at his contract and age, the more likely I think it is. It's better to move on from a player 1 year too early than 1 year too late. 

That’s the dilemma. But we’ve seen that strategy work in our favor and not. Bates had a fantastic year. Andrew Whitworth ….. Bell in our favor . But I’ve been in conflict with some of the crowd around here on the Bengals not being aggressive enough to take advantage of this window. Frankly I’m feeling that they maybe aren’t.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 11:39 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s the dilemma. But we’ve seen that strategy work in our favor and not. Bates had a fantastic year. Andrew Whitworth ….. Bell in our favor . But I’ve  been in conflict with some of the crowd around here on the Bengals not being aggressive enough to take advantage of this window. Frankly I’m feeling that they maybe aren’t.

Bates and Hilton are not the same situation. Bates was a 26-year-old entering his prime. Hilton is a 30 year old slot corner. There wasn't the downside of moving on from Bates "too late" given his youth. 

This response also has nothing to do with if they should/shoudn't have kept Bates..we've been down that road enough lol
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My guess:

SS: Jordan Battle
FS: Geno Stone
CB1: CTB
CB2: DJ Turner
NK: Dax Hill

Hilton becomes a Camp-Cap/trade casualty once DH proves he can play nickle

My opinion they reflect on letting Bell go and how that experience was missed and keep Hilton to give them a veteran in the mix to not only held our very young DBs but to play some critical minutes in crunch time especially early in season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 11:38 AM)ochocincos Wrote: My guess:

Outside CBs: CTB, Turner/Hill/Draft Pick
Slot CB: Hilton
FS: Stone
SS: Bell

I know some think Bell will be backup, but why would he sign so quick to Bengals after being released if he'd be a backup?
Guy is still on the better side of 30 years old and is still a productive starter.

Maybe Bell is ok with coming on board as a mentor and backup though and I'm just overthinking it (like I do most things).

Highly doubt they bench Battle after his great rookie season. You don't punish a young player for playing well, that would be the worst 
thing we could do to a player. Bell will be brought in on running downs is my guess in place of Geno Stone while Battle will be the primary
starter at SS is my guess and what I think we should do.

I think Vonn is okay with coming on board to be a mentor and win a Super Bowl, otherwise he wouldn't be here.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Highly doubt they bench Battle after his great rookie season. You don't punish a young player for playing well, that would be the worst 
thing we could do to a player. Bell will be brought in on running downs is my guess in place of Geno Stone while Battle will be the primary
starter at SS is my guess and what I think we should do.

I think Vonn is okay with coming on board to be a mentor and win a Super Bowl, otherwise he wouldn't be here.

I would have to hope that before Bell signed there was an honest conversation that Battle is going to get the majority of the reps going forward (but the way the front office manages players, I could be very wrong there). But seems like Bell is a team-first guy who would be okay rotating in and being a leader. I think guys are going to be playing all over this secondary and there will be plenty of snaps to go around. 
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Where did this Dax Hill being better than Mike Hilton sentiment come from?

Probably just cope. Nobody wants him to wind up a bust, so they’re convincing themselves that he’s better than a top 5 slot defender

At about the same time, Charlie Jones became better than Tyler Boyd. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 05:05 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: I would have to hope that before Bell signed there was an honest conversation that Battle is going to get the majority of the reps going forward (but the way the front office manages players, I could be very wrong there). But seems like Bell is a team-first guy who would be okay rotating in and being a leader. I think guys are going to be playing all over this secondary and there will be plenty of snaps to go around. 

Vonn had hamstring problems last year with the Panthers that also factor into his struggles there and him being so cheap that the 
Panthers are paying his salary pretty much for us. If there is one thing they do here it is communicate and they already knew Vonn.

I am sure they had an honest conversation about SS. Bell will be our run stopper and veteran smarts to pull it all together...

Our glue so to speak. Battle and Stone should be our main Safeties in passing looks and Battle and Bell would really help out our 
run stopping this year. That is what is so nice about the Bell pickup, it minimizes Stone's troubles in stopping the run.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Where did this Dax Hill being better than Mike Hilton sentiment come from?

Probably just cope. Nobody wants him to wind up a bust, so they’re convincing themselves that he’s better than a top 5 slot defender

100% this. It would be like thinking Charlie jones or yoshi can replace tee.. oh wait, some people think that’s true.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 05:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At about the same time, Charlie Jones became better than Tyler Boyd. 

It’s not just Boyd… tee is replaceable with CJ and Yoshi.
Reply/Quote
I’d like to see how the draft shakes out.

If a top corner falls to 18 an elite corner prospect could come in and take over the top or 2nd corner spot with CTB taking the other.
This would be great for solidifying the group and elevating the play of the secondary.

I expect this doesn’t happen, but we see a corner or two in the mid round. If that’s the case they compete with Turner for the 2nd spot and provide depth.

For now:

SS: Bell starts and Battle rotates in regularly
FS: STONE starts and Hill rotates in regularly as well as coming in to take nickle snaps to spell Hilton and coming in for heavy pass formations.
CB1: CTB
CB2: TURNER
NK: HILTON starts and Hill rotates in and comes in to cover tight ends.

I think an elite corner being added to the team would help the defense improve drastically.
Of course having another elite pass rusher or penetrator up front would help a lot too.
Reply/Quote
LCB - Cam Taylor-Britt
RCB - DJ Turner
NCB - Mike Hilton
S - Geno Stone
S - Daxton Hill
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 05:05 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: I would have to hope that before Bell signed there was an honest conversation that Battle is going to get the majority of the reps going forward (but the way the front office manages players, I could be very wrong there). But seems like Bell is a team-first guy who would be okay rotating in and being a leader. I think guys are going to be playing all over this secondary and there will be plenty of snaps to go around. 

Bell is a smart person and he knows the deal. He knows he's on the backend of his career now, and can play a few more years if he's not on the field for every play. He also has that mentor attitude built into him that I think will allow him to enjoy bringing out the best in Battle and others. He also probably realizes he can use that to transition into coaching if he wants. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:59 AM)Synric Wrote: LCB  - Cam Taylor-Britt
RCB - DJ Turner
NCB - Mike Hilton
S - Geno Stone
S - Daxton Hill

Interesting, Battle and Bell both benched for Dax Hill at Strong Safety. I know Dax feels a lot more comfortable at SS but Battle played 
too well as a rookie there for me to bench him personally.
Reply/Quote