Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Steeler stat nobody talks about.
(11-30-2017, 09:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis's record against the Steelers has literally been discussed thousands and times on here and has been the subject of several threads.

And welcome to the boards.

8 wins, 24 losses. That's been posted before? The Bengals are the only team who would keep someone who has squandered the super bowl talent that they one else had. After 14 seasons, no legacy, not a single signature win.

Hey, but he has won a few more regular season games that nobody remembers or cares about.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:08 PM)Antares Wrote: 8 wins, 24 losses. That's been posted before? The Bengals are the only team who would keep someone who has squandered the super bowl talent that they one else had. After 14 seasons, no legacy, not a single signature win.

Hey, but he has won a few more regular season games that nobody remembers or cares about.

It has been said some where before but so what. This is a timely thread and these facts need to be repeated.

It is an incredulous record and it needs to be repeated and updated ( after we lose on Monday)

:andy: :andy: :andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marv's record against.....is where the term ad nausiam was originally coined.. in fact it was some Roman literary scholar who foresaw the rise of Marv some 20 centuries into the future.. 

You gotta have some literary edumacashun.. Hysterical reference helps too..

I can't believe I misspelled nausiam originally.. What's this world coming to when nausiam doesn't show up in spell check? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:08 PM)Antares Wrote: 8 wins, 24 losses. That's been posted before? The Bengals are the only team who would keep someone who has squandered the super bowl talent that they one else had. After 14 seasons, no legacy, not a single signature win.

Certainly not defending Marvin Lewis, but you don't remember the win against the Seahawks in 15, Pittsburgh in 12 & 05, Green Bay and New England in 13? I'm sure most non Bengals fans don't, but most of us would.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
'What thread are you reading? I've not seen anyone take anything the OP said personally. And the only mocking that's been done is OP's assertion that no one's talked about Merv's record against the Steelers when that is brought up ALL THE FRIGGIN' TIME.

So, why don't you take your own advice? If you don't like the responses in a thread, start a new one and don't take any of the posts personally.'

Nobody has ever talked about how there is exactly 1 post on this board with this exact combination of words. 1.

Well...2 now.
Reply/Quote

We may have had a Super Bowl caliber roster...1 year.

It's hard to really say that though because we're terrible in primetime games against good teams.
Reply/Quote
The mere fact that Marvin has been able to keep his job as the head coach after all this is no small feat in itself..of course having an employer who puts winning well below profit may have 'some effect'.. I suspect Marv could fire the entire coaching staff and replace them with the kindergarten class of 2018 from Flint Michigan after drinking lead laden water for 5 years and still keep his job..  Just keep thinking positive here folks.. 
Mikeys winning strategy is to put up old motivational posters from pre-war Europe.. Pittsburgh appeasement ! Just give em what they want and they'll go away..Right Mikey? 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Tyler Eifert sure has been hurt a lot lately..I wonder when was the last time...OUCH!

WHO THREW THAT DAMNED SHOE ?!!!
Reply/Quote
Boy! I'm really looking forward to the post game presser from Marv after the 43-0 drubbing where Marv gives an impassioned plea for fans to continue to trust the process!  If EVER there was an incentive to be a Bengals fan Marv pleading for everyone to trust the process would have to be it.. You'll all be watching it with tears of joy in your eyes thinking, 'Gosh! I've never seen a better speech in my entire life! ' 

I dunno..perhaps I'm exaggerating just a tad..  

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis fans, after a primetime win- "But he has won 1 out of his last 2! That's 50%!". Tongue
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:08 PM)Antares Wrote: 8 wins, 24 losses. That's been posted before?

Yes.

EDIT: Okay, not the 24th loss, probably because it hasn't happened YET.

(11-21-2017, 04:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I can't let Marv off the hook because we've had enough talent to make the playoffs 7 times. We've had a pair of good QB's. A pair of HOF caliber WRs. An excellent defense with some of the best players in team history. Even when he's had the talent: 0-7 in the playoffs, 8-30 in prime-time and 8-23 vs the Steelers.

@Benton: I gotta say though, I hate using "drafted players still on the roster" as a sign of draft success. Being on the roster doesn't = good players. Bodine, Ogbuehi and Fisher are all on the roster starting games. They're awful. That's such a Mike Brown way of defining success. Reminds me of when he used to use 1000 yard rushers to define rushing success. Such an archaic and flawed way of judging success.
(11-16-2017, 02:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Counting the postseason...he is 2-14 against the Steelers...AT HOME. 

Just think about that. 2-14 in your own house against your #1 rival - and you still have a job!  

Hell, his record against the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Colts and Broncos - the 5 most consistently successful AFC teams  during the last 15 years  (and a part of every SB during that time)- is a combined  31-54, including 0-3 in the playoffs.

So, to sum up...

66-81 against AFC teams not located in Cleveland (66-88 if including PO's).
31-54 against the top 5 AFC teams during his tenure (including PO's).
8-30 in prime time games.
8-23 versus the Steelers.
2-14 against the Steelers at home.
0-7 in the postseason.
Owns the record for straight playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for consecutive playoff losses without a win.
Owns the record for the most playoff losses without a win.

Sick
(10-26-2017, 01:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, changing the head coach after 15 years, 7 failed playoff opportunities, 8-23 against your main rival and 8-30 in prime time games ... it isn't exactly a knee jerk reaction. 
(10-26-2017, 10:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't mean that as a knock on the players. What is Marv now? 8-23 against the Steelers? One sweep in 15 years? They've swept us 8 times and heading for their 9th.
(10-22-2017, 10:07 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: 8-23 counting the playoffs, embarrassing.
 The above IN A THREAD ABOUT THE BENGALS-STEELERS TITLED 8-21 !!

That's just doing a quick search on my work computer. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes.

EDIT: Okay, not the 24th loss, probably because it hasn't happened YET.

The above IN A THREAD ABOUT THE BENGALS-STEELERS TITLED 8-21 !!

That's just doing a quick search on my work computer. 

It never happened. That's CGI screenshots.
Reply/Quote
Come on guys, we have never spoken of this, not once. Seriously, never heard this before that Marv the Steeler fan is owned by da Steelahs.

Dilly-Dilly :andy:
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 09:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis's record against the Steelers has literally been discussed thousands and times on here and has been the subject of several threads.

And welcome to the boards.

Yep.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 01:59 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: if you dont like the thread create a new one rather than mock the guy that made it.  some of you take it way to personal when people bash the Bengals. it shouldn't control your life.  but yes the Steelers own us

No one is mocking anybody. It's called levity. It's something dudes do, bust each other's balls. It's kind of an initiation thing. 

[Image: image.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:28 PM)grampahol Wrote: Marv's record against.....is where the term ad nausiam was originally coined.. in fact it was some Roman literary scholar who foresaw the rise of Marv some 20 centuries into the future.. 

You gotta have some literary edumacashun.. Hysterical reference helps too..

I can't believe I misspelled nausiam originally.. What's this world coming to when nausiam doesn't show up in spell check? 

Grade A play on words. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 11:23 AM)jason Wrote: I think the Bengals scored a pretty nice player a few years back when they drafted AJ Green.

This year, I've been watching the defensive line a lot. I've noticed that people have trouble blocking Geno Atkins.

They did. Too bad they wasted him. Absolutely no signature wins. Nobody remembers a team having a decent regular season if it ends at the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We may have had a Super Bowl caliber roster...1 year.

It's hard to really say that though because we're terrible in primetime games against good teams.

Well if you have a Super Bowl roster, shouldn't you be in the Super Bowl? What do they say about this in Pittsburgh or New England?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 05:26 PM)Antares Wrote: They did. Too bad they wasted him. 

Wait, the Bengals killed AJ Green?! When did this happen?! AND WHY?!

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We may have had a Super Bowl caliber roster...1 year.

Yeah, I'd even go as far as to say that '05, '12, and '15 all had enough talent on the roster to get the job done.

(11-30-2017, 05:31 PM)Antares Wrote: Well if you have a Super Bowl roster, shouldn't you be in the Super Bowl? What do they say about this in Pittsburgh or New England?

Well, having talented players on the roster isn't everything, when it comes to winning championships.  There is also coaching and management to consider...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote