Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Strength of This Linebacker Class is on Day 3
Found an interesting article on TDN discussing three late round LBs that all have potential in the NFL. All three of them seem to fit what the Bengals are looking for in a LB right now.

What are your thoughts?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/mykal-walker-logan-wilson-david-woodward-linebacker-2020-nfl-draft
Reply/Quote
Are these LBs possibly seniors that Taylor and the coaches were exposed to at the Senior Bowl? I wouldn't be surprised if they take some guys that they directly coached.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As the author was stating, they all sound like decent depth/developmental/STs players. I guess the thing to consider is taking a look at our own back end of the roster LB. Have they been developing enough to continue investing time, money and coaching into them? If not, I say that Mykal Walker sounds like an interesting prospect. He's got a good size frame with a little room to grow. Depending upon how good his coverage skills and instincts are, he could be a developmental candidate for the "Star" LB/S hybrid role in a 3-4, if the Bengals are really going that route.

Edit: I did find it curious that the author both praised Wilson for being a cerebral player, and then also criticized him for thinking too much just a sentence or two later.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 10:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Found an interesting article on TDN discussing three late round LBs that all have potential in the NFL. All three of them seem to fit what the Bengals are looking for in a LB right now.

What are your thoughts?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/mykal-walker-logan-wilson-david-woodward-linebacker-2020-nfl-draft

I like Logan and Woodward.  As with many others, I also like Evan Weaver on Day 3.  Justin Strnad is another Day 3 guy I really like.  He suffered a ruptured bicep this year and ran a bad 40 at the combine, but he looks much faster on tape.  He has some ugly stuff on tape, as all day 3 guys are going to have, specifically with losing leverage in the run game and he sometimes tries to lower the boom with his shoulder instead of wrapping up.  However, he's a guy that did it all at Wake Forest, from standard run fits, run and chase, blitzing, split out over the slot receiver, underneath zone, and over the top zones.  At 6'3", 238, he also has the size and length to go up against NFL TE's.
Reply/Quote
I’m all for 2 of those players. Woodward has had concussions and other injuries, but if he’s healthy he is a good player
Reply/Quote
Alex Highsmith is a 34 OLB that will be there on Day 3. Long, athletic, and explosive he's a guy you can bring in to rush the passer but he needs more pop in his hands to be a three down edge defender.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think Wilson is rising currently and may find himself in the 3rd.

These are the linebackers who participated in the Senior Bowl this year:

True LBs:

Evan Weaver - Cal
Malik Harrison - Ohio State
Francis Bernard - Utah
Logan Wilson - Wyoming
TJ Brunson - South Carolina

OLB/Edge

Zack Baun - Wisconsin
Anfernee Jennings - Alabama
Terrell Lewis - Alabama
Davion Taylor - Penn State
Akeem Davis-Gaither - Appalachian State
Cameron Brown - Penn State
Joshua Uche - Michigan
Bradley Anae - Utah
Jonathan Greenard - Florida
Darrell Taylor - Tennessee
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals were seen talking a lot to Malik Harrison and Akeem Gaither at the Senior Bowl. Shoot, they may draft them 2 and 3 in the draft! Lol
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 01:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: I like Logan and Woodward.  As with many others, I also like Evan Weaver on Day 3.  Justin Strnad is another Day 3 guy I really like.  He suffered a ruptured bicep this year and ran a bad 40 at the combine, but he looks much faster on tape.  He has some ugly stuff on tape, as all day 3 guys are going to have, specifically with losing leverage in the run game and he sometimes tries to lower the boom with his shoulder instead of wrapping up.  However, he's a guy that did it all at Wake Forest, from standard run fits, run and chase, blitzing, split out over the slot receiver, underneath zone, and over the top zones.  At 6'3", 238, he also has the size and length to go up against NFL TE's.

Evan Weaver was someone the Bengals got to see at the Senior Bowl and also met with.
If the Bengals want to really stop the run, Weaver is a great candidate to help with that.
He'll very likely have to come off the field in passing situations though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like my fellow Wyo brother Logan Wilson. Love the instincts and physicality.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like my fellow Wyo brother Logan Wilson. Love the instincts and physicality.
This report thinks Wilson can start on year one or two.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-wilson?id=32195749-4c74-7370-743f-2000a41bbeba
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 11:51 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The Bengals were seen talking a lot to Malik Harrison and Akeem Gaither at the Senior Bowl. Shoot, they may draft them 2 and 3 in the draft! Lol

Don't underestimate the importance of coaching the senior bowl this year.  They basically got a ton of experience with these seniors that teams didnt.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if picks in rounds 3-7 were all senior bowl guys,
Reply/Quote
Evidently, we met with Joe Bachie, an ILB from Michigan State. TDN draft profile. Very solid football player. Probably not a first year starter, but few of these Day 3 guys are.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Completely agree. I'd like to see at least 2 drafted in rounds 3-7. I think linebacking as a whole has turned into situational play. We still need 2 guys that can cover a TE and RB.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 05:05 AM)pulses Wrote: This report thinks Wilson can start on year one or two.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-wilson?id=32195749-4c74-7370-743f-2000a41bbeba

Love it. What stands out to me is Wilson is a 3 down Linebacker that is a great fundamental tackler with instincts.

And he can cover. Seems like the perfect pick in the mid rounds for a team wanting to improve tackling like we do.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 02:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love it. What stands out to me is Wilson is a 3 down Linebacker that is a great fundamental tackler with instincts.

And he can cover. Seems like the perfect pick in the mid rounds for a team wanting to improve tackling like we do.

I think the 3rd round is a good spot for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 01:33 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Evidently, we met with Joe Bachie, an ILB from Michigan State.  TDN draft profile. Very solid football player. Probably not a first year starter, but few of these Day 3 guys are.

I'd be fine with Bachie in the 6th or 7th round. Hopefully, they aren't intending to Nick Vigil/Drew Sample him and take him 2 rounds earlier than he's projected.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 08:44 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd be fine with Bachie in the 6th or 7th round. Hopefully, they aren't intending to Nick Vigil/Drew Sample him and take him 2 rounds earlier than he's projected.

Agreed. No earlier than the 6th. If we want that kind of solid 2 down linebacker, I'd be more inclined to go after Shaq Quarterman in the 5th, Logan Wilson in the 4th, or Malik Harrison in the 3rd. 

BTW...how did Jordyn Brooks make it into conversations as a round 3 LB? Watch his 2019 Oklahoma tape. The guy looks lost.  He had 0 impact on that game. He's a great lesson on why a person can't rely on highlight tapes to judge players. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
There may be a few "complete" linebackers in this draft, but the reality is that linebacking has quickly turned into a situational position. Right now we need guys that can cover and get us off the field on 3rd downs.

Those types are going to be found in rounds 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:32 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Agreed. No earlier than the 6th. If we want that kind of solid 2 down linebacker, I'd be more inclined to go after Shaq Quarterman in the 5th, Logan Wilson in the 4th, or Malik Harrison in the 3rd. 

BTW...how did Jordyn Brooks make it into conversations as a round 3 LB? Watch his 2019 Oklahoma tape. The guy looks lost.  He had 0 impact on that game. He's a great lesson on why a person can't rely on highlight tapes to judge players. 

I have no idea what's going on with Brooks. That guy is a wrecking ball but a wrecking ball with no eyes. I wouldn't trust him in a shallow zone to save my god damn life. Great stopping the run, completely lost in coverage. I wouldn't touch him until the 5th, at best.

I hope the Bengals don't force me to say "well maybe Brooks isn't SO bad in the 3rd round" after we select him two weeks from tomorrow XD.
Reply/Quote