Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Strength of This Linebacker Class is on Day 3
(04-09-2020, 02:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: There may be a few "complete" linebackers in this draft, but the reality is that linebacking has quickly turned into a situational position. Right now we need guys that can cover and get us off the field on 3rd downs.

Those types are going to be found in rounds 3-4.

This.

If we can cover TE’s, in general, we win 2-3 more games next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 06:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have no idea what's going on with Brooks. That guy is a wrecking ball but a wrecking ball with no eyes. I wouldn't trust him in a shallow zone to save my god damn life. Great stopping the run, completely lost in coverage. I wouldn't touch him until the 5th, at best.

I hope the Bengals don't force me to say "well maybe Brooks isn't SO bad in the 3rd round" after we select him two weeks from tomorrow XD.

Same with Willie Gay. How they ever got ranked higher than Logan Wilson is beyond me. Maybe they're faster, but they regularly overrun plays and put themselves way out of position. As you said, "no eyes." 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:32 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Agreed. No earlier than the 6th. If we want that kind of solid 2 down linebacker, I'd be more inclined to go after Shaq Quarterman in the 5th, Logan Wilson in the 4th, or Malik Harrison in the 3rd. 

BTW...how did Jordyn Brooks make it into conversations as a round 3 LB? Watch his 2019 Oklahoma tape. The guy looks lost.  He had 0 impact on that game. He's a great lesson on why a person can't rely on highlight tapes to judge players. 

(04-09-2020, 06:23 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have no idea what's going on with Brooks. That guy is a wrecking ball but a wrecking ball with no eyes. I wouldn't trust him in a shallow zone to save my god damn life. Great stopping the run, completely lost in coverage. I wouldn't touch him until the 5th, at best.

I hope the Bengals don't force me to say "well maybe Brooks isn't SO bad in the 3rd round" after we select him two weeks from tomorrow XD.

Yeah, don't like Brooks for us anymore. I just liked how he tackled but the last thing we need is a bad cover backer that
gets lost and has no eyes. Lost and blind LB's are no good lol

Logan Wilson is my guy now in the mid rounds, would even take him in the 3rd. Preferably in the 4th though so we can 
add to the Offense early on at OL and WR. Wilson and Davis-Gaither.
Reply/Quote
I would give some love to Chris Orr from Wisconsin. Only 6’0” 225 so a little undersized, but some guys are just football players. I think he is a football player. He had a brother on the Ravens and one on the Bears. Here is a good read on him. I think is is being overlooked a little bit...

https://www.si.com/college/wisconsin/football/nfl-draft-2020-chris-orr-wisconsin-football-pro-day
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, don't like Brooks for us anymore. I just liked how he tackled but the last thing we need is a bad cover backer that
gets lost and has no eyes. Lost and blind LB's are no good lol

Logan Wilson is my guy now in the mid rounds, would even take him in the 3rd. Preferably in the 4th though so we can 
add to the Offense early on at OL and WR. Wilson and Davis-Gaither.

I'm a fan of Wilson and ADG. I'd love to get one of them in the 4th round, but I could see an argument for the 3rd round for either of them, depending on who is available and who we took in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 07:34 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Same with Willie Gay. How they ever got ranked higher than Logan Wilson is beyond me. Maybe they're faster, but they regularly overrun plays and put themselves way out of position. As you said, "no eyes." 

I'd say he it's because he plays in the Mountain West Conference. He doesn't run his mouth or get in trouble. Wilson is a better football player than Gay.
Reply/Quote
I liked Willie Gay Jr when he was considered a high risk high reward athletic freak who has the passion and energy that Vontaze Burfict had (and the extracurricular issues to match) that you could snag in the 4th or maybe 5th round.

Now that people are calling him a 3rd or even 2nd round prospect, count me all the way out.
Reply/Quote
Justin Strnad of Wake Forest is my most hoped for LB in this class. Here's highlights. And here's his tape from the Carolina game.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I like Davion Taylor and Wilson in rounds 4-5. But I also like Chinn in round 3 and just select Wilson in round 4.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 03:29 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Justin Strnad of Wake Forest is my most hoped for LB in this class. Here's highlights. And here's his tape from the Carolina game.

He's been a regular late round pick up in my mocks. He seems like someone who should go higher than where's been mocked.
Reply/Quote
It's all about how you use these guys. Willie Gay had an amazing coverage grade over his career. IF he was around in the 4th, I'd take him and he'd be on the field on 3rd downs only. Same with some of these other guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:36 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm a fan of Wilson and ADG. I'd love to get one of them in the 4th round, but I could see an argument for the 3rd round for either of them, depending on who is available and who we took in the 2nd.

Feel the same, really like both of these players, Wilson is a 3 down backer and ADG just needs to gain some muscle and
he could be one as well. Both sideline to sideline Linebackers. Exactly what we need.
Reply/Quote
I like how Strnad takes angles, wraps up. Seems smart on the field and looks like he knows how to shed blocks.

How is he in coverage is my question?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like how Strnad takes angles, wraps up. Seems smart on the field and looks like he knows how to shed blocks.

How is he in coverage is my question?

From the tape I've watched on him, he has good awareness in zone, both over and underneath.  He was also split out out on the slot at times.  

If we're talking strictly tape, I'd say he's a late 2nd-early 3rd round type guy.  However, he had a torn bicep midway through the year which obviously drops him and he ran surprisingly slow at the combine, which also hurts.  He ran 4.74, but looking at the tape, you'd think he's a high 4.5 guy.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 03:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: From the tape I've watched on him, he has good awareness in zone, both over and underneath.  He was also split out out on the slot at times.  

If we're talking strictly tape, I'd say he's a late 2nd-early 3rd round type guy.  However, he had a torn bicep midway through the year which obviously drops him and he ran surprisingly slow at the combine, which also hurts.  He ran 4.74, but looking at the tape, you'd think he's a high 4.5 guy.  

Thanks Whatever. Sounds like another nice pick in the mid rounds. I don't put much stock in forties, we all know there is a 
different speed when the pads go on and that is what matters. Some guys just play at a different speed like Burfict who could
fly all over the field but ran a very slow forty. Strnad is definitely on my radar now, love way he takes angles, wraps up and 
seems to have great instincts.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Whatever. Sounds like another nice pick in the mid rounds. I don't put much stock in forties, we all know there is a 
different speed when the pads go on and that is what matters. Some guys just play at a different speed like Burfict who could
fly all over the field but ran a very slow forty. Strnad is definitely on my radar now, love way he takes angles, wraps up and 
seems to have great instincts.

It really depends on the position as to whether I pay much attention to the 40 or not.  I don't totally dismiss it with LB's, but the thing to remember with them is that it's so easy to gain or lose .1-.2 in the 40 on the field just based on how fast you can read and react and/or how quickly you can get off blocks.  
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: It really depends on the position as to whether I pay much attention to the 40 or not.  I don't totally dismiss it with LB's, but the thing to remember with them is that it's so easy to gain or lose .1-.2 in the 40 on the field just based on how fast you can read and react and/or how quickly you can get off blocks.  

Yes, instincts and lateral speed are big with Linebackers to go with taking angles and knowing how to tackle well and being
able to shed blocks as you say.

Seeing this with Strnad the more I watch.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Evan Weaver was someone the Bengals got to see at the Senior Bowl and also met with.
If the Bengals want to really stop the run, Weaver is a great candidate to help with that.
He'll very likely have to come off the field in passing situations though.

Yea dude just like vigil was supposed to be too. Late round prospects like vigil and Weaver will have similar careers. Both not NFL linebackers
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:36 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Yea dude just like vigil was supposed to be too. Late round prospects like vigil and Weaver will have similar careers.  Both not NFL linebackers

Vigil wasn't a late rounder. He was a 3rd rounder. Also, he was/is better in coverage than Weaver is, but Weaver has better instincts and size.
If Weaver had better ability to cover, he'd be a Day 2 prospect for sure, but the NFL wants more coverage guys and Weaver isn't it. He does have value as a 2-down thumper who is rotated based on situation though.

I don't get your extreme dislike for Vigil or any late-round guy. Every team has them, every team needs them. You make it seem like I said Weaver was a bona-fied starter, which I never said at all. He's a backup MIKE that should be solid defending the run and tackling.

Do you expect all players at a position should be 1st or 2nd rounders or be above average starter material? Because that's not happening, especially with the Bengals at a position who was the worst or second-worst on the team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Markus Bailey from Purdue is a really good football player but is injured a lot. Couple bigger surgeries. Worth a flyer for someone...
Reply/Quote