Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The TE market

This is a bit concerning wrt what Uzomah is going to cost.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't know if Uzo is going to be offered that much by anybody. He had a good season, but he is older and the main
reason he has came around has to be cause of Burrow. I mean he had all these years before this and didn't have near
as much production with Dalton and company. Think Uzo will be much more affordable than Njoku. He also is coming
off another injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know if Uzo is going to be offered that much by anybody. He had a good season, but he is older and the main
reason he has came around has to be cause of Burrow. I mean he had all these years before this and didn't have near
as much production with Dalton and company. Think Uzo will be much more affordable than Njoku. He also is coming
off another injury.

That is crazy money for Njoku. His career high is like 600 yards and 4 TD’s. Deals like this hurt the market. Guys about equal to him or even slightly better are going to want at least what he’s (reportedly getting), or even more.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 04:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That is crazy money for Njoku. His career high is like 600 yards and 4 TD’s. Deals like this hurt the market. Guys about equal to him or even slightly better are going to want at least what he’s (reportedly getting), or even more.

I think Njoku is really talented though, is that cause of injury or just poor QB play why he hasn't played great are my questions?

Dude is big, fast and looks extremely athletic. I know Uzo is big too but he just doesn't look nearly as fast or athletic as Njoku.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Njoku is really talented though, is that cause of injury or just poor QB play why he hasn't played great are my questions?

Dude is big, fast and looks extremely athletic. I know Uzo is big too but he just doesn't look nearly as fast or athletic as Njoku.

Not sure about injuries keeping his production down. He’s played in 16 games 3x, and 13 games in another season. He really only missed significant time once. QB play is another matter…

Reply/Quote
I can't say I'd advocate the Bengals paying any TE 10 million when we have Chase/Higgins/Boyd. 10 million+ is reserved for OL with our free agent spending, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 09:34 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I can't say I'd advocate the Bengals paying any TE 10 million when we have Chase/Higgins/Boyd. 10 million+ is reserved for OL with our free agent spending, right?

Bates too (unless you're only talking outside). Or maybe a top 3T?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 11:37 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Bates too (unless you're only talking outside). Or maybe a top 3T?

I like Bates and think he can still contribute to winning-Bengals football, but I have to agree with you. I don't think it's worth paying him 10 million plus.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 04:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure about injuries keeping his production down. He’s played in 16 games 3x, and 13 games in another season. He really only missed significant time once. QB play is another matter…

Thanks, weird to me that he is getting paid that much while not having a lot of production.

Must be because the Stains think he is a talent and the QB's have ignored him. Njoku should be cheaper than 10 mil a year
from that production. You are right on this screwing with the TE market. Sucks, thought for sure we could bring back Uzo
before this, now I am not so sure. 

(02-28-2022, 09:34 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I can't say I'd advocate the Bengals paying any TE 10 million when we have Chase/Higgins/Boyd. 10 million+ is reserved for OL with our free agent spending, right?

No doubt, we can Draft decent TE's and might even find a gem for cheap that Burrow could make into a great one.

TE's are a bit like RB's and CB's, you can draft them and save yourself a lot of money.

We need proven O-lineman this FA, all else doesn't matter even if I want Uzo and Bates back.

(03-01-2022, 10:10 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I like Bates and think he can still contribute to winning-Bengals football, but I have to agree with you. I don't think it's worth paying him 10 million plus.

We will see how we go about it. We are different than the Stains. I think we can get better deals and be able to bring in 
bigger FA's cause of Burrow and with our Cap situation we can afford to do a lot of things. Just have to get the O-line 
solidified and everything else is icing on the cake.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 10:10 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I like Bates and think he can still contribute to winning-Bengals football, but I have to agree with you. I don't think it's worth paying him 10 million plus.

Fwiw, I'm FOR paying Bates the reported $14M/yr. But we also have to get vets for the OL, which we should be able to easily do both.
Reply/Quote
I cant help but think of Moneyball, the movie about the Oakland A's. With our receivers and their talent, and with mixon being able to catch out of the backfield, Who could we pickup or use for super cheap as far as TE, with their only asset and function be blocking. If we had a TE in that could block well, who cares if they can catch. i mean if youre a pro, surely you wont have hands of stone, but the longer burrow has to pass, he will always be able to find someone open. I like CJ and i think he bring him back if its reasonable. But id start looking at the TE spot as strictly another blocker, unless we can get Gronk!
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 03:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
This is a bit concerning wrt what Uzomah is going to cost.

Njoku is a favorite of Baker. They need receiving help. Landry coming back iffy. Their receiving corp losing Landry and Njoku would have been rough. This next year is pivotal for Baker and Stefanski
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 11:41 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Njoku is a favorite of Baker. They need receiving help. Landry coming back iffy. Their receiving corp losing Landry and Njoku would have been rough. This next year is pivotal for Baker and Stefanski

I also think it's a sign Hooper may be out the door after a failed big FA contract never produced results. 
Reply/Quote
Wasn’t Njoku angry and wanted out of Cleveland some time ago?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:47 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Wasn’t Njoku angry and wanted out of Cleveland some time ago?

That’s what I thought. Apparently no one likes playing with Baker. LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 09:51 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I cant help but think of Moneyball,  the movie about the Oakland A's.  With our receivers and their talent, and with mixon being able to catch out of the backfield, Who could we pickup or use for super cheap as far as TE, with their only asset and function be blocking.  If we had a TE in that could block well,  who cares if they can catch.  i mean if youre a pro, surely you wont have hands of stone, but the longer burrow has to pass, he will always be able to find someone open.  I like CJ and i think he bring him back if its reasonable.  But id start looking at the TE spot as strictly another blocker, unless we can get Gronk!

We have that guy in Drew Sample that everybody hates even though he probably led the way for multiple Mixon TD's last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  I mean he had all these years before this and didn't have near as much production with Dalton and company.

2018 with Dalton.... 43 rec ... 439 yds ... 10.2 avg ... 3 td
2021 with Burrow... 49 rec ... 493 yds ... 10.1 avg ... 5 td
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 09:51 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote:  But id start looking at the TE spot as strictly another blocker, unless we can get Gronk!

No way.  Not with the way Burrow likes to spread it out. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No way.  Not with the way Burrow likes to spread it out. 

If you have a good TE that is a blocking machine, it gives burrow extra time to find, chase, higgens, boyd, or mixon out of the backfield.  Also, unless the TE hands are made of stone, he is always an option as well, especially for those pesky 3rd and shorts the killed us this past season
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2018 with Dalton.... 43 rec ... 439 yds ... 10.2 avg ... 3 td
2021 with Burrow... 49 rec ... 493 yds ... 10.1 avg ... 5 td

Thanks for this Fred, still Uzo has played his best with Burrow no question. Those aren't mind blowing numbers or anything 
for a TE by any means either. Like I said Uzo should be much cheaper than that Njoku deal IMO.
Reply/Quote