Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Pickens Clause
Let's not forget that the Bengals put a clause in contracts basically to force loyalty:

In 1998, the Bengals cut punter Lee Johnson. Brown attempted to fine Johnson after cutting him for "conduct detrimental to the team" in relation to comments Johnson had made about the organization and the 1998 season. A reporter asked Johnson after a Bengals loss "if you were a fan, would you have come here today?" to which Johnson replied "No, no way...why would you? You're saying (losing) is OK. I guess if you've got nothing else to do. I'd sell my tickets."[71] This fine resulted in a dispute with the NFL players union, whose counsel remarked "A fine is a disciplinary measure, you discipline someone to try and make sure they're a better employee in the future. How can you do that if you've fired them?"[72]

In 2000, the Bengals instituted a "loyalty clause," which allows the Bengals to deny various bonuses to players depending on the remarks they make about the Bengals.[73] The ability to enact such a clause appears justified under the collective bargaining agreement which states an NFL team can fine a player one week's salary and suspend him without pay for up to four weeks for any action the club considers detrimental to the team.[74] Brown responded that the clause would only be enacted under extreme circumstances. He wrote an editorial for the Cincinnati Enquirer, citing team cohesion as his main motivation for the clause.[75]

It is often dubbed the "Carl Pickens Clause," stemming from the 2000 offseason. Brown renewed Bruce Coslet's contract despite his 21–36 Bengals record. Pickens responded, "I don't understand it. We're trying to win; we're trying to turn this thing around out there. And they bring (Coslet) back."[76] Pickens finished his career with the Tennessee Titans.

Over the years since the clause, Bengals players have commented on a negative atmosphere within the organization, notably Takeo Spikes,[77] Jeff Blake,[78] and Jon Kitna.[79]

The most vocal critic of the Bengals since the clause was instituted was Corey Dillon.[80] In 2001, after becoming the sixth player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards or more in five consecutive seasons, he remarked "at the end of the season, what do I have to feel good about? Nothing at all. It's not cool." After a fifth losing season with the team in 2002, he remarked ""I'm tired of it, six years of this B.S. I ain't lying to you. I'm sick of this crap, period."[79] Dillon demanded a trade at the end of the 2003 season after throwing most of his gear to the fans during the last home game of the season. He went on to win a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in the following season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_(American_football_executive)#"Carl_Pickens_Clause"
Reply/Quote
I'm not allowed to publicly bad mouth my place of employment or boss either, and I make a fraction of what the Bengals play these players. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 08:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not allowed to publicly bad mouth my place of employment or boss either, and I make a fraction of what the Bengals play these players.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

You can. :andy: They won't fine you. The only thing they can do is fire you.  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 11:24 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: You can. :andy: They won't fine you. The only thing they can do is fire you.  Nervous

They can suspend me, which is the same as a fine.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 11:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They can suspend me, which is the same as a fine.

Never let them suspend you, never!  Wink
Reply/Quote