Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Time Has Come
But I agree 100%. I really don't care if this new HC - whoever it would be - is worst than Marv, he's had ample opportunity to prove he can lead a team thru the playoffs. He had ample opportunity to prove he can win in prime time. He's had 13 years to make changes to his style, play, roster, assistants, etc and failed each time.

I love AD response more than any. You don't get to SB season is a failure. By this time, it's also worn on the players. No way possible it hasn't. I am not sure if they trust hiM anymore 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You know whats going to piss you off? Getting post responses telling you that we'll go back to the 90's! It's always the Marvin state of Bengals or its the 90's Bengals.

Some of this fan base enables the Bengals front office with their stubborn decision making.
Reply/Quote
Don't get how anyone can say Lewis should be back and I've stood up for him before but this is the final straw. I'm also disappointed in the so called leaders of this team. Remember that play where we sacked Big Ben on 3rd down but Peko a "team captain " ran off the bench to shove a steelers player and giving Pitt an automatic 1st down. He talked all week about the team staying poised. Lewis lost control of this team. And saying Pitt was doing the same thing is a poor excuse we should have been the mentally stronger team. Championship teams are mentally tough and disciplined something we are not.
Reply/Quote
I applaud Marvin for getting us where we are. The lost years are much too painful a memory. Enough is enough! Yes, he has coached the Bengals to winning seasons, and I am not as hung up on 0-7 as many others. If the Bengals had simply lost the game last night, without the plethora of penalties and instead just poor play be a rooking QB costing the Bengals the game, I would have disagreed with the requirement of his dismissal.

What happened last night was a disgrace. Yes, the Steelers were typical classless assholes, but they Bengals were worse. Much worse. And the blame for that lands squarely on the shoulders of the coach. He completely lost control of the team. He will never gain the respect of people nationally hereafter, and I cannot imagine he will have the respect of many of his players either.

And if he had self respect, he would step down voluntarily, with an admission that he let the players represent himself, the organization, and the city of Cincinnati down.
Reply/Quote
If Lewis is fired I might celebrate harder than I did when Burfict intercepted the ball.
Reply/Quote
We could use a coaching staff that has successful playoff experience to guide the talent we'll have next year. Otherwise I see a long and painful slide due to the baggage the Marvin era has attained. The frustration of five consecutive one-and-dones will eat away at this locker room unless the bleeding is stopped now.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:05 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: We could use a coaching staff that has successful playoff experience to guide the talent we'll have next year. Otherwise I see a long and painful slide due to the baggage the Marvin era has attained. The frustration of five consecutive one-and-dones will eat away at this locker room unless the bleeding is stopped now.

I am on board with this 100% Marvin lost any little bit of control he had on this team last night. It was almost unbelievable.
Reply/Quote
You better have someone lined up that you think can do better. Change just to change is a recipe for disaster.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:36 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: But I agree 100%. I really don't care if this new HC - whoever it would be - is worst than Marv,

So basically you hate Marvin more than you like the Bengals.

You don't care if the team gets worse as long as Marvin gets fired.
Reply/Quote
He as the coach is the one who is responsible for making sure the players keep the composure. He failed at that. He needs to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 04:27 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: His players just got him fired. (Should be at least, who knows) It's tough, but true. We were in position, we had the right calls made, and Hill, Burfict, and Pacman gift-wrapped it for the Steelers. What should have been Lewis's first win and perhaps a run in the playoffs is for naught.

I think Lewis would/will make a good executive somewhere. I really would like it to be here, he's done A LOT for this team and he deserves respect for that. He just can't do the rest for whatever reason, and we need to find a guy who can.

I totally agree with this. Marvin does have a good eye for talent. He's done a fantastic job at making this team great. However his continuous play it safe attitude and failure to win big games is his curse. He should be respected for all he has done and kept in the organization, just not as HC. I'm not 100% sold on Hue taking that HC position because there are others more capable. The perfect candidate for an organization suffering from a lack of discipline would be Tom Coughlin, but I fear his age may not be a good fit because he wouldn't be coaching for long before he retired.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You better have someone lined up that you think can do better.  Change just to change is a recipe for disaster.

However, it wouldn't be change simply for the sake of change. It's not as if Marvin would be fired on a silly whim or because there was no foundation for it.

A change in this case, would be warranted, based on the end results of 7 different failed attempts in the postseason.

There is this notion by many on this board that change= automatic disaster, a return to the dark ages, and the surrender of any possible future success.

How many times does the ship have to sink at the end of a voyage before you think about looking for a new captain?

The reality is, Marvin will probably coach as long as he wants under Mike Brown, but that doesn't mean there aren't good reasons why fans could think a change is needed.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:43 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I wonder what will go through Mike Brown's mind if Mike Zimmer wins this game.

Everything Mikey Boy has come in contact with in this league eventually turns to shit.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So basically you hate Marvin more than you like the Bengals.

You don't care if the team gets worse as long as Marvin gets fired.

When you have players calling the coach out to the media, there is already a risk of losing good players. We don't know who those players are, but 7 Bengals spoke anonymously with their displeasure of Marvin as coach and his inabilities. So I pretty much think this would be a wash Fred. I think many players are just as disgusted as the fans are at this point. Regardless if Marvin stays or goes, we are at risk of losing players. Might as well do it now and let that storm pass and move on.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You better have someone lined up that you think can do better.  Change just to change is a recipe for disaster.

What does Marvin need to do for you to consider replacing him to be something other than change for the sake of change?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 05:05 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: We could use a coaching staff that has successful playoff experience to guide the talent we'll have next year. Otherwise I see a long and painful slide due to the baggage the Marvin era has attained. The frustration of five consecutive one-and-dones will eat away at this locker room unless the bleeding is stopped now.

A new personality is just what this team needs.  This will be pretty much the same talented roster (depending on who gets re-signed), I could see any number of guys taking over and going all the way with this group.  (I'm thinking of when Jon Gruden took Tampa to the SB with the team that Dungy built)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A new personality is just what this team needs.  This will be pretty much the same talented roster (depending on who gets re-signed), I could see any number of guys taking over and going all the way with this group.  (I'm thinking of when Jon Gruden took Tampa to the SB with the team that Dungy built)

Agreed Sunset. I also don't understand why some think that the only possible outcome of making a change would be gloom and doom. Couldn't it just as easily be the case that a change could be just the tonic needed to finally get over the hurdle?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agreed Sunset. I also don't understand why some think that the only possible outcome of making a change would be gloom and doom. Couldn't it just as easily be the case that a change could be just the tonic needed to finally get over the hurdle?

It's because it's the Bengals and we can't do anything right
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 03:40 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: We missed the boat when Zimmer went to Minnesota and we failed to fire Marvin. About to miss it again when Hue signs with the 49ers later today.

I hate to lose Hue...I hope this isn't true.

I think Hue should be given a title of Asst. Head Coach and a significant raise.  

He did a great job with a poor run-blocking line and a backup QB.  I also think he has the stones to lead a team and have that team take on his personality.

I agree with all the comments about respect for Marvin, but I think he simply doesn't have the control of the team necessary to take them to the promise land.  Chad, Henry, Thurman,  now Burfict....it is a cyclical issue.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Agreed Sunset. I also don't understand why some think that the only possible outcome of making a change would be gloom and doom. 

No one has said that that is the ONLY possible.  But history shows that most coaching changes don't improve the team, and that is even considering that most coaching changes come from losing teams.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13504851.2013.829181?journalCode=rael20

I examine the effects of coaching changes for National Football League (NFL) teams between the 1995 and 2012 seasons. A variety of factors contribute to an NFL team’s performance reverting towards league-average levels between seasons. Thus, a nominal improvement in team performance could be due to improved management or it could simply be mean reversion. I find that, after accounting for the highly significant mean reversion effect during this time period, firing a coach reduces a team’s expected performance during the next season and the team’s average performance over the next two seasons. This effect is present when wins are used to measure performance, but also when performance is measured by point differential and playoff appearances, two variables that avoid some shortcomings of using team wins as a measure of performance. I conclude that teams are firing coaches an inefficiently high percentage of the time.
Reply/Quote