Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Transition Tag
So I was reading somewhere or saw a Tweet or something that said teams that want to try to sign Lamar Jackson must have first-round picks this year and next year to sign him to an offer sheet.

However, what happens if a team that wants him waits until after this year's draft to sign him? Honestly, if I was the Texans or Jets, that is what I'd do. Wait until after the draft to try to acquire him. That way you use your top picks on some quality pieces this year and then presumably if he puts them in the playoffs or even the wildcard hunt then you'd be trading away mid to late first-round picks in the future instead.

I know there isn't much precedent for transition tags being exercised and used, but this scenario has to be a loophole in the process, right?
Reply/Quote
If he gets an offer he likes from another team after the draft the Ravens would have the option to match it. If they don't then the team he signs with would give the Ravens their 2024 and 2025 first round pick. It isn't really a loophole. That is part of the risk and process of placing him on the non-exclusive tag.

Also one small note that's what it is, non-exclusive tag, not transition tag. The transition tag gives the team an opportunity to match the offer but if they decline they don't get draft compensation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 03:14 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: If he gets an offer he likes from another team after the draft the Ravens would have the option to match it.  If they don't then the team he signs with would give the Ravens their 2024 and 2025 first round pick.  It isn't really a loophole.  That is part of the risk and process of placing him on the non-exclusive tag.  

When I said "loophole", this is what I meant. Instead of the Texans giving up their 2nd overall pick this year or the Jets giving up their 13th overall pick this year, they'd give up their '24 and '25 picks. If a team believes that Lamar can put them in the playoffs or wildcard hunt, then presumably, those picks would be later in the first round like 18-20 or more if they win in the playoffs. 

So the loophole would be they wouldn't give up higher value picks in the earlier part of the first round this year and instead give up later ones next year by waiting until after the 2023 draft to make the offer.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 04:12 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: When I said "loophole", this is what I meant. Instead of the Texans giving up their 2nd overall pick this year or the Jets giving up their 13th overall pick this year, they'd give up their '24 and '25 picks. If a team believes that Lamar can put them in the playoffs or wildcard hunt, then presumably, those picks would be later in the first round like 18-20 or more if they win in the playoffs. 

So the loophole would be they wouldn't give up higher value picks in the earlier part of the first round this year and instead give up later ones next year by waiting until after the 2023 draft to make the offer.

I understand what you meant and I'm sorry if I'm being picky, I just don't agree it is a loophole.  A bit of strategy sure and honestly if a team were interested in signing Jackson that would be a decent way to go about it. By waiting they would just be taking the risk of another team signing him first.  That's just the way it works and one of the "risks" the Ravens took on when they used the non-exclusive tag.  It isn't some workaround or way to skirt the rules if a team does that.  It is what it is and the Ravens agreed to that part of the deal when they used the tag.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 02:58 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: So I was reading somewhere or saw a Tweet or something that said teams that want to try to sign Lamar Jackson must have first-round picks this year and next year to sign him to an offer sheet.

However, what happens if a team that wants him waits until after this year's draft to sign him? Honestly, if I was the Texans or Jets, that is what I'd do. Wait until after the draft to try to acquire him. That way you use your top picks on some quality pieces this year and then presumably if he puts them in the playoffs or even the wildcard hunt then you'd be trading away mid to late first-round picks in the future instead.

I know there isn't much precedent for transition tags being exercised and used, but this scenario has to be a loophole in the process, right?

This makes no sense for the Texans.  They are not in "win now" mode.  Their roster still generally sucks and adding a win now QB makes no sense.

They're sticking and picking a QB at 2.

However, I do agree that it makes MUCH more sense to try and sign Lamar after the draft to push the picks out to 24-25.
Reply/Quote