Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Turning point - Incompetent Coaching
Bengals 17 Steelers 6

5:14 2nd qtr.

Alex Erickson returns kickoff 72 yards to Pittsburgh 26 yard line. (damn shame he didn't make it)

1st down - incomplete pass to Eifert
2nd - Burkhead for 9 yards ball on Pitt 17
3rd - Burkhead for 10 yards ball on Pitt 7

Great ! We've gashed the number 4 defense against the run for 19 yards. They're going to be determined to stop us running any more. Perfect position for play action pass right ?

1st down - Burkhead for 4 yards ball on Pitt 3

Do Eifert, Boyd, and Lafell even exist ?

2nd - Burkhead for -1

Four Burkhead runs in a row, 3 in the redzone against the #4 rushing defense in the NFL ! Totally ignoring Tyler Eifert a TD Machine in the redzone. What about a quick slant to Boyd with the LBers leaning in to stop the run we're obviously determined to do ?

3rd - incomplete pass to ? you guessed it, Burkhead.

The previous drive we had just lit Pittsburgh up for like 60 yards passing and a Hill TD run to finish. So now up by 11 Marvin gets conservative and plays it safe for the FG.

Four running plays in a row against a very good run defense while in a position to land a haymaker putting the Squeelers down by 3 scores.

It's the very reason we lose big games - period ! Way to conservative/piss poor coaching.

We couldn't have won the game right here. But 24-6 may have well made all the difference in the world.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burkhead has been very reliable in the past. I can understand the reasoning by this play.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:25 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Burkhead has been very reliable in the past. I can understand the reasoning by this play.

This isn't a knock on Burkhead, I like Burkhead and think he's been tragically under utilized, especially this season, Hill isn't getting it done.

It's more about 4 runs in a row in the redzone. It could have been Hill or a mixture of the two. And especially against the number 4 run D in the NFL.

We were in a position to put the Steelers on the ropes and we played for the FG ! Typical Marv ball.

That's the point
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This isn't a knock on Burkhead, I like Burkhead and think he's been tragically under utilized, especially this season, Hill isn't getting it done.

It's more about 4 runs in a row in the redzone. It could have been Hill or a mixture of the two. And especially against the number 4 run D in the NFL.

We were in a position to put the Steelers on the ropes and we played for the FG ! Typical Marv ball.

That's the point

very true

plus, how many times in second half did we start a series with a run for no game and several times another run for no gain.

Steelers have great run defense

they are very vulnerable to passes on first down when they are not sending the house.

Dalton picked them apart on first down passing in first half and we stopped doing that in second half.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:41 PM)bengals67 Wrote: very true

plus, how many times in second half did we start a series with a run for no game and several times another run for no gain.

they are very vulnerable to passes on first down when they are not sending the house.

Dalton picked them apart on first down passing in first half and we stopped doing that in second half.

Kinda like how BJGE OWNED the Chargers his entire career, and even the first half of the 2013 WC game, then benched him the second half? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well this thread is unique.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:41 PM)bengals67 Wrote: very true

Yep,

Hill had 6 carries in the 2nd half for 1 yard. 3 of them were on first down for no net gain and they set us behind the chains as the saying goes. It's like the coaches say we don't care if it's not working, it's our plan so we're gonna run it.

(12-19-2016, 03:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Kinda like how BJGE OWNED the Chargers his entire career, and even the first half of the 2013 WC game, then benched him the second half? Mellow

A theme under ML that rings true time and time again. We're gonna ram our plan down whoever's throat whether it works or not. We get out coached in the 2nd half way to often.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well this thread is unique.

So is Marv ball and it quit working in 1982
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

Hill had 6 carries in the 2nd half for 1 yard. 3 of them were on first down for no net gain and they set us behind the chains as the saying goes. It's like the coaches say we don't care if it's not working, it's our plan so we're gonna run it.

A theme under ML that rings true time and time again. We're gonna ram our plan down whoever's throat whether it works or not. We get out coached in the 2nd half way to often.

Yeah, but man, that one REALLY blew my mind.  Have you ever seen Benny's numbers against SD?  He averaged something like 5 YPC, and 90 something YPG.  It's crazy.....and add to that he had just torched them two weeks prior to the playoff game, and you gotta wonder just WTF is going on there?  I mean, that's like some points shaving/game throwing type shit right there.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:25 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Burkhead has been very reliable in the past. I can understand the reasoning by this play.

He has barely played in his time with the Bengals. This was terrible play calling bottom line!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:27 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: He has barely played in his time with the Bengals. This was terrible play calling bottom line!

Calling Burkheads # on say the 2nd down play after 1st down pass failed, I can live with that. Calling three more runs in a row after that with Burkhead is where the terrible play calling comes in. 
Reply/Quote
I have never seen a better example of how fans complain about playcalling no matter what is called.

"Bengal coaches were insane and incompetent to stop running BJGE when he was effective against the Chargers."

"Bengals coaches were also insane and incompetent to NOT stop running Burkhead when he had 3 straight carries for 23 yards (7.7 avg).  Especially when we had scored a td on a running play from the exact same position the last time we had the ball. "

Doesn't really matter what the coaches call.  If it does not work then automatically makes it stupid.  If the coach sticks with what is working then he is "too predictable", and if he tries something different he is stupid for "giving up on what was working".  And the fan can then set back and claim that what he wanted to do would have worked.

You don't see anyone here complaining about running the ball on THIRD down from the 4 when Hill scored, but for some reason coaches have to be completely incompetent to call a run play on SECOND down in the exact same situation.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Kinda like how BJGE OWNED the Chargers his entire career, and even the first half of the 2013 WC game, then benched him the second half? Mellow

Here is what I remember.

All the fans here were calling Marvin incompetent for even letting BJGE carry the ball in the first place.  Everyone was saying he should be benched and Gio should have gotten all the carries.

BTW the first half of the Chargers game Benny had three decent runs (totaled 23 yards) and three other runs that gained a total of 4 yards.  In the same first half Gio had 3 decent runs that totaled 23 yards and 4 others that totaled 3 yards.  The claim that Benny was running wild in the first half is a myth.  His production was almost identical to Gio's in the first half.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have never seen a better example of how fans complain about playcalling no matter what is called.

"Bengal coaches were insane and incompetent to stop running BJGE when he was effective against the Chargers."

"Bengals coaches were also insane and incompetent to NOT stop running Burkhead when he had 3 straight carries for 23 yards (7.7 avg).  Especially when we had scored a td on a running play from the exact same position the last time we had the ball. "

Doesn't really matter what the coaches call.  If it does not work then automatically makes it stupid.  If the coach sticks with what is working then he is "too predictable", and if he tries something different he is stupid for "giving up on what was working".  And the fan can then set back and claim that what he wanted to do would have worked.

You don't see anyone here complaining about running the ball on THIRD down from the 4 when Hill scored, but for some reason coaches have to be completely incompetent to call a run play on SECOND down in the exact same situation.

(12-24-2016, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what I remember.

All the fans here were calling Marvin incompetent for even letting BJGE carry the ball in the first place.  Everyone was saying he should be benched and Gio should have gotten all the carries.

BTW the first half of the Chargers game Benny had three decent runs (totaled 23 yards) and three other runs that gained a total of 4 yards.  In the same first half Gio had 3 decent runs that totaled 23 yards and 4 others that totaled 3 yards.  The claim that Benny was running wild in the first half is a myth.  His production was almost identical to Gio's in the first half.

Tell us Fred: are you really happy with these coaching decisions? Do you agree with them? What would you have done different (if anything)? I've seen you say Marvin should be fired several times throughout the year so are you simply being facetious here? Or are you back on the Marvin bandwagon?
Reply/Quote
Fire Marvin and bring in Tom Coughlin.

Incompetent coaching <<<<<< Incontinent coaching
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 01:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Calling Burkheads # on say the 2nd down play after 1st down pass failed, I can live with that. Calling three more runs in a row after that with Burkhead is where the terrible play calling comes in. 

Is this on an incompetent OC or an incompetent HC? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 01:41 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Tell us Fred: are you really happy with these coaching decisions? Do you agree with them? What would you have done different (if anything)? I've seen you say Marvin should be fired several times throughout the year so are you simply being facetious here? Or are you back on the Marvin bandwagon?

It is possible for me to think Marvin should be replaced without making stuff up to complain about.  I don't just look at every play that did not work and cry about it being a ridiculous play call.

People in this thread are calling the decision to run on second down from the 4 "ridiculous" but not a single person is claiming that running the ball from the 4 on third down was ridiculous.  Why is that?  Wouldn't running the ball on third down in that situation be even dumber.  BUt that is exactly what we did the previous tiome we had the ball.  But since Hill scored on that run no one is claiming it was a ridiculous call.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what I remember.

Fred......I've posted Green - Ellis ' career numbers against SD numerous times....they don't lie. I'm not all fans....I knew Benjarvus ALWAYS torched SD.  Also.....Benny was 8 carries for 42 yards....while Gio was 12 for 45.  Benny was ignored for much of the second half.  There's no denying that.  Go with what you will....but Marvin is a turd.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 02:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Fred......I've posted Green - Ellis ' career numbers against SD numerous times....they don't lie. I'm not all fans....I knew Benjarvus ALWAYS torched SD. 

You are not all fans because all fans do not consider 66 yards and a 4.0 avg as "torching" a team.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2016, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are not all fans because all fans do not consider 66 yards and a 4.0 avg as "torching" a team.

Where are you pulling that from , your ass? He avg 5.3 in that playoff game.....and over 5 YPC for his career against SD.  I'd say that's pretty damn close to torching a team.  A first down every two carries is....in fact....good.  Uless you're you or dumbass Marv apparently?

Reply/Quote