Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The White Helmets
I have been told that if your country is in conflict, you are a able-bodied male, and you don't want to fight; then fleeing is the smart move and to think otherwise is silly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-white-helmets/

Quote:"If there is meaning to the word courage," said a Syrian journalist, "it is represented by the Civil Defense." Also known as the White Helmets, the trained force of 3,000 rescue workers offer Syrian civilians their only hope.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-31-2016, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have been told that if your country is in conflict, you are a able-bodied male, and you don't want to fight; then fleeing is the smart move and to think otherwise is silly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-white-helmets/

I believe was was discussed was not EVERY "military age" man who fled was a coward.  But then "military age" is now stretched from 15 to 65 in some threads here.

Good for the one who joined and are trained.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-31-2016, 02:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: I believe was was discussed was not EVERY "military age" man who fled was a coward.  But then "military age" is now stretched from 15 to 65 in some threads here.

Good for the one who joined and are trained.

Perhaps just a little more cowardly than these brave men that stayed and served their country and those that cannot help themselves. 

What age requirements do you put on able-bodied men in times on civil war and domestic conflict?

(12-31-2016, 02:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps just a little more cowardly than these brave men that stayed and served their country and those that cannot help themselves. 

What age requirements do you put on able-bodied men in times on civil war and domestic conflict?

I don't put an "age" requirement.

I put a willingness and ability to join and fight requirement.
(12-31-2016, 02:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't put an "age" requirement.

I put a willingness and ability to join and fight requirement.

Well then, it seemed strange you brought up age, but I guess you had a point

(12-31-2016, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then, it seemed strange you brought up age, but I guess you had a point

Sure did.  You implied that "military age" people committed a crime and I don't think there is a "military age".  In fact the "military age" has been changed depending on the story listed.

This is Lucy type stuff:  Immigrant is charged with a crime so...all immigrants are bad and so shouldn't be allowed in?  Only with the new caveat that these people are either cowards or deliberately fled to pretend to be asylum seekers in order to commit crimes.

It's silly and unnecessary.

Yes some men could have stayed and fought.  There are probably 100 reason why some didn't.  But to use every crime committed by a refugee is inane...as shown by links that natural born citizens commit crimes too.  

Crime is crime.
(12-31-2016, 02:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sure did.  You implied that "military age" people committed a crime and I don't think there is a "military age".  In fact the "military age" has been changed depending on the story listed.

This is Lucy type stuff:  Immigrant is charged with a crime so...all immigrants are bad and so shouldn't be allowed in?  Only with the new caveat that these people are either cowards or deliberately fled to pretend to be asylum seekers in order to commit crimes.

It's silly and unnecessary.

Yes some men could have stayed and fought.  There are probably 100 reason why some didn't.  But to use every crime committed by a refugee is inane...as shown by links that natural born citizens commit crimes too.  

Crime is crime.

Seems like you have your threads and strawmen confused. But as long as you think you have a point that's all that should matter to you

(12-31-2016, 03:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems like you have your threads and strawmen confused. But as long as you think you have a point that's all that should matter to you

[Image: point.jpg]
There was a good 60 minutes a few weeks back talking about the white helmets.

Crazy shit. Go dig through some ruble and find a half dead little kid.
(12-31-2016, 04:05 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: There was a good 60 minutes a few weeks back talking about the white helmets.

Crazy shit. Go dig through some ruble and find a half dead little kid.
The report is actually in the OP. The guys are awesome. Their courage is on par with this guy:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/middleeast/aleppo-clown-syria-strike/index.html

Quote:Happy children dance with a rosy-cheeked clown in a floppy birthday cake hat and oversized orange tie, their Eid celebrations a rare moment of joy amid the horrors of life under siege in Syria.

Footage of the July 2015 party, shot by activist group Aleppo Media Center, shows a costumed and face-painted Anas al-Basha at the center of the festivities, bouncing a smiling girl on his hip as music plays and youngsters clap along with the tune.

He and others that stay in the face of danger deserve our respect. 

There's a Doc on Amazon or Netflix called The White Helmets I do believe. I haven't watched it yet but it's on the list.
(12-31-2016, 09:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: There's a Doc on Amazon or Netflix called The White Helmets I do believe. I haven't watched it yet but it's on the list.

It's on Netflix. Illustrates a noble alternative to running.

(12-31-2016, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's on Netflix. Illustrates a noble alternative to running.

Depends on who you ask.

According to Russia, they're a branch of Al-Nusra. Of course, Trumps buddy is also bombing them.

http://time.com/4507009/aleppo-offensive-syria-white-helmets-attack/

Quote: As a part of a new offensive, the Syrian regime and its Russian allies appear to be deliberately targeting the White Helmets, along with other vital infrastructure that sustains the estimated 300,000 people living under siege in rebel-held eastern Aleppo.

altNews makes it easier to manipulate the story around them.

Either way, I don't see the point in painting those looking to escape genocide as cowards. Russia, Assad, Hezbola. I like the idea that you're going to stand up to them and their gas attacks and barrel bombs all by yourself. On the other hand, I've got not problem admitting I'd take my kids, pack them up and look for the first plot of land where I didn't have to worry about their state-sanctioned killing.
(12-31-2016, 11:51 PM)Benton Wrote: Depends on who you ask.

According to Russia, they're a branch of Al-Nusra. Of course, Trumps buddy is also bombing them.

http://time.com/4507009/aleppo-offensive-syria-white-helmets-attack/

altNews makes it easier to manipulate the story around them.

Either way, I don't see the point in painting those looking to escape genocide as cowards. Russia, Assad, Hezbola. I like the idea that you're going to stand up to them and their gas attacks and barrel bombs all by yourself. On the other hand, I've got not problem admitting I'd take my kids, pack them up and look for the first plot of land where I didn't have to worry about their state-sanctioned killing.
I really don't think it matters who you ask, if these folks are doing a noble deed or not. Anyone that would suggest they are not is all the more a coward.

I'm sure there are many that cannot help themselves that are glad these guys didn't pack and look for the first plot of land where they didn't have to worry about state-sanctioned killing. Some are more noble than the Every man for themselves mentality. 

(12-31-2016, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's on Netflix. Illustrates a noble alternative to running.

Let's say a Syrian decides to "fight for his country" rather than run.

Does it matter which side he fights on--for Assad, or Al Nusra, or the Islamic State?
(12-31-2016, 07:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He and others that stay in the face of danger deserve our respect. 

I agree. These guys are the liberals of the Middle East.
(01-01-2017, 01:53 AM)Dill Wrote: Let's say a Syrian decides to "fight for his country" rather than run.

Does it matter which side he fights on--for Assad, or Al Nusra, or the Islamic State?

Although this thread isn't about fighting; I guess the obvious answer is which ever side matters to them.

(01-01-2017, 02:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Although this thread isn't about fighting; I guess the obvious answer is which ever side matters to them.

I agree the white helmets are brave and deserve our respect. And those who "run" deserve some respect too. I don't calls Jews who
ran from Germany and Poland in '39 "cowards."

The third alternative is much less clear: stay and fight someone--anyone--and you'd be fighting for your country? Seems like that may be part of the problem.
(01-01-2017, 02:25 AM)Dill Wrote: So the point is to stay and fight someone--anyone--and you'd be fighting for your country, not a coward?

I can only assume you did not read/click the OP. No one is talking about fighting. This is a thread about those that choose to serve their country and countrymen while those around them fight and the cowards (a person who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.) run. 

(01-01-2017, 02:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I can only assume you did not read/click the OP. No one is talking about fighting. This is a thread about those that choose to serve their country and countrymen while those around them fight and the cowards (a person who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.) run. 

And that is what my posts address--the attribution of cowardice to those facing genocide in a broken state.