Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The White House: nothing to see here...
But I say that I can hardly wait to see what this looks like, once all of the dots are connected. Still, very interesting that all of the main stream news outlets, except for CBS, are burying their heads in the sand, and pretending like this isn't happening. Strange.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/comer-wray-fbi-subpoena-alleged-biden-bribery-scheme/

Quote:Washington — GOP Rep. James Comer of Kentucky, the chairman of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee, said in a statement Wednesday that FBI Director Christopher Wray confirmed "the existence of an unclassified record that contains reporting of an alleged bribery scheme related to then-Vice President Joe Biden and a foreign national."

Comer believes the FBI record contains "a precise description of how the alleged criminal scheme was employed as well as its purpose," he and Senate Judiciary Ranking Member Chuck Grassley said in a letter to Wray and Attorney General Merrick Garland in early May. The GOP lawmakers also said at the time, they believed the form "describes an alleged criminal scheme involving then-Vice President Biden and a foreign national relating to the exchange of money for policy decisions."

While Comer and Grassley said in Wednesday's statement that the record includes "very serious and detailed allegations implicating the current President of the United States," they did not provide further evidence to support the claim.

Ian Sams, the White House spokesperson for oversight and investigations, said: "This silly charade by Chairman Comer is yet another reminder that his so-called 'investigations' are political stunts not meant to get information but to spread thin innuendo and falsehoods to attack the President. He has already admitted this isn't about uncovering facts but about trying to hurt the President's poll numbers, so the only question left is how long he will waste time, energy, and taxpayer dollars to support a fact-free politically-motivated goose chase simply to get media attention and the Fox News spotlight."

According to Comer, Wray offered in a phone call Wednesday to allow lawmakers to view it at FBI headquarters. Comer issued the subpoena earlier this month after a whistleblower had provided GOP lawmakers with information about an alleged bribery scheme involving Mr. Biden.

Grassley and Comer spoke with Wray by phone Wednesday after the FBI director did not provide the document by the May 30 deadline. The two Republicans are seeking evidence of any FBI probe into the allegation, and whether it was substantiated or deemed not credible.

Comer has said he would hold Wray in contempt of Congress if he did not turn over the document, and he reiterated Wednesday that he remains committed to initiating contempt proceedings.

"Today, FBI Director Wray confirmed the existence of the FD-1023 form alleging then-Vice President Biden engaged in a criminal bribery scheme with a foreign national," Comer said in his statement.

In a statement to CBS News, the FBI described the FD-1023 form as a document "used by FBI agents to record unverified reporting by a confidential human source." The bureau noted that "[d]ocumenting the information does not validate it, establish its credibility, or weigh it against other information verified by the FBI."

Comer said that in their conversation, "Director Wray did not commit to producing the documents subpoenaed by the House Oversight Committee."

"While Director Wray — after a month of refusing to even acknowledge that the form existed — has offered to allow us to see the documents in person at FBI headquarters, we have been clear that anything short of producing these documents to the House Oversight Committee is not in compliance with the subpoena," Comer said, adding that if the FBI failed to submit the document to the committee, he would begin contempt of Congress proceedings.

In a statement, Grassley said, "While the FBI has apparently leaked classified information to the news media in recent weeks, jeopardizing its own human sources, it continues to treat Congress like second class citizens by refusing to provide a specific unclassified record. Director Wray confirmed what my whistleblowers have told me pursuant to legally protected disclosures: the FBI-generated document is real, but the bureau has yet to provide it to Congress in defiance of a legitimate congressional subpoena. This failure comes with consequences."

In describing the FD 1023, Christopher Dunham, acting assistant director for the Bureau's Office of Congressional Affairs, wrote in a May 10 letter that the FBI avoids "revealing information — including unverified or incomplete information — that could harm investigations, prejudice prosecutions or judicial proceedings, unfairly violate privacy or reputational interests, or create misimpressions in the public. Often, even confirming the fact of the existence (or nonexistence) of an investigation or a particular piece of investigative information can risk these serious harms."

The FBI confirmed the phone call, but didn't discuss the alleged document.

"During today's call, Director Wray offered to provide the committee's chairman and ranking member an opportunity to review information responsive to the subpoena in a secure manner to accommodate the committee, while protecting the confidentiality and safety of sources and important investigative sensitivities," the FBI said in a statement. "The FBI has continually demonstrated its commitment to working with the committee to accommodate its request, from scheduling briefings and calls to now allowing the chair to review information in person. The FBI remains committed to cooperating with the committee in good faith."

When Comer and Grassley first announced the subpoena to obtain the document, Ian Sams, the White House spokesperson for oversight and investigations, said: "For going on five years now, Republicans in Congress have been lobbing unfounded, unproven, politically-motivated attacks against the president and his family without offering evidence for their claims or evidence of decisions influenced by anything other than U.S. interests."

Earlier this month, the House Oversight Committee released a report alleging that Biden family members and associates received over $10 million from foreign entities, but the White House noted that Republican investigators could not point to "a single Joe Biden policy" that was unduly influenced.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Again, it is a report of an allegation.  

Quote:"In describing the FD 1023, Christopher Dunham, acting assistant director for the Bureau's Office of Congressional Affairs, wrote in a May 10 letter that the FBI avoids "revealing information — including unverified or incomplete information — that could harm investigations, prejudice prosecutions or judicial proceedings, unfairly violate privacy or reputational interests, or create misimpressions in the public. Often, even confirming the fact of the existence (or nonexistence) of an investigation or a particular piece of investigative information can risk these serious harms."

The FBI confirmed the phone call, but didn't discuss the alleged document."

Do the investigation and charge if there was a crime.

Comer could see it but he wants it released so the gop can control any narrative.

Same reason Jim Jordan wants to see everything Jack Smith is doing right after word of the Trump tape got out, IMHO.

I'd have zero problem with prosecuting Biden if he broke the law.  None.  

But we have an FBI ran by a career politician appointed by liberals so what do you expect?!?!  Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 01:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Again, it is a report of an allegation.  

Do the investigation and charge if there was a crime.

Comer could see it but he wants it released so the gop can control any narrative.

Same reason Jim Jordan wants to see everything Jack Smith is doing right after word of the Trump tape got out, IMHO.

I'd have zero problem with prosecuting Biden if he broke the law.  None.  

But we have an FBI ran by a career politician appointed by liberals so what do you expect?!?!  Ninja

Like I said, I'll wait until the more comes to light before I make any judgements.  However, I will say this;  If the WH is already refuting with such language as "not being able to point to a single policy that was compromised", it's going to be pretty ugly.  As for Comer being able to view the document on the FBI's terms?  That is simply not good enough.  The FBI has already lost a ton of repute with a significant percentage of Americans, they ought not to be attempting to flex their virtue at this point..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope they find the truth. Bad thing, if they find dirt to charge him, I'll believe it. If they don't, I will think they are covering it up. I have zero trust in the FBI. Heck, I hear they threw a sandbag at an old man the other day, the old man fell, and the crowd erupted in cheer. So awful! Ninja

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 01:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like I said, I'll wait until the more comes to light before I make any judgements.  However, I will say this;  If the WH is already refuting with such language as "not being able to point to a single policy that was compromised", it's going to be pretty ugly.  As for Comer being able to view the document on the FBI's terms?  That is simply not good enough.  The FBI has already lost a ton of repute with a significant percentage of Americans, they ought not to be attempting to flex their virtue at this point..

Why is it not good enough for them to have access to the documents for review in person?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 02:22 PM)Eraserhead Wrote:

Biden must be the most innocent man alive if republicans and democrats desperately want him out of the running for 2024 but they simply can't pin anything on him.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 02:22 PM)Eraserhead Wrote:

I'm starting to think if thr GoP accused Biden of being old, he'd suddenly revert to his 40 year old self.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 01:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But I say that I can hardly wait to see what this looks like, once all of the dots are connected.  Still, very interesting that all of the main stream news outlets, except for CBS, are burying their heads in the sand, and pretending like this isn't happening. Strange.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/comer-wray-fbi-subpoena-alleged-biden-bribery-scheme/

Maybe the others aren't carrying it because, from how I read it, there is a document, which is an accusation, nothing more.  The document itself it sounds like has no evidence attached to it.  Document:  "Biden stole candy from widows and orphans." - Now FBI you go investigate that!

Oh and you didn't look very closely - here's CNN's article on the matter - https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/politics/fbi-document-congress-biden/index.html
and first reported on it over a week ago - https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/politics/wray-grassley-comer-fbi-documents/index.html

Oh and the document is confirmed to have come from Giuliani in 2020 as he as trying to get the FBI to taint Biden before the election. *rolls his F&^%N eyes*  This was Trumps, FBI, and Trump's justice department and they essentially couldn't corroborate any of it, so it become a nothing burger.  And it's still a nothing burger.
Reply/Quote

Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 07:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: Maybe the others aren't carrying it because, from how I read it, there is a document, which is an accusation, nothing more.  The document itself it sounds like has no evidence attached to it.  Document:  "Biden stole candy from widows and orphans." - Now FBI you go investigate that!

Oh and you didn't look very closely - here's CNN's article on the matter - https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/politics/fbi-document-congress-biden/index.html
and first reported on it over a week ago - https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/politics/wray-grassley-comer-fbi-documents/index.html

Oh and the document is confirmed to have come from Giuliani in 2020 as he as trying to get the FBI to taint Biden before the election. *rolls his F&^%N eyes*  This was Trumps, FBI, and Trump's justice department and they essentially couldn't corroborate any of it, so it become a nothing burger.  And it's still a nothing burger.

The knowledge of the FD-1023 (I'm not sure that Giuliani was ever able to produce that document, as it's an official FBI document), the document in question, came to light as a result of whistleblowers in the FBI who noticed that normal protocols weren't being followed with regard to investigations into Joe Biden (these activities were alleged to have occurred while he was VP Biden) and Hunter Biden (that laptop that just keeps on giving with the negative publicity).

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 07:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The knowledge of the FD-1023 (I'm not sure that Giuliani was ever able to produce that document, as it's an official FBI document), the document in question, came to light as a result of whistleblowers in the FBI who noticed that normal protocols weren't being followed with regard to investigations into Joe Biden (these activities were alleged to have occurred while he was VP Biden) and Hunter Biden (that laptop that just keeps on giving with the negative publicity).

The FD-1023 is a tagging  of information deemed classified and secret.  Guliani provided a document from a whistle blower that got tagged into a FD-1023 document.

FD-1023 is a collection of information, not a sheet of paper.  Guliani provided a piece of paper.  It and the FBI's investigation into the allegations within the document got put into a FD-1023.

Look I'm a republican.  I'm all about criminals going to jail, but this was a political stunt in 2020 and it's being resurrected now.  This is a nothing burger whether you choose to believe it or not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 07:51 PM)Stewy Wrote: The FD-1023 is a tagging  of information deemed classified and secret.  Guliani provided a document from a whistle blower that got tagged into a FD-1023 document.

FD-1023 is a collection of information, not a sheet of paper.  Guliani provided a piece of paper.  It and the FBI's investigation into the allegations within the document got put into a FD-1023.

Look I'm a republican.  I'm all about criminals going to jail, but this was a political stunt in 2020 and it's being resurrected now.  This is a nothing burger whether you choose to believe it or not.

Good for you, I'm actually independent these days.  All I'm saying is that if the FBI did have an open investigation against JB for acts that could potentially lead to a litany of criminal charges, Congress should be allowed to conduct their own, unfettered investigation into weather any of those claims have merit or not.  The FBI is an agency of the American people, just like Congress, so the FBI should not be withholding any requested documents or information when asked by our Nation's lawmakers.  The FBI already appears very suspicious in the eyes of a significant portion of Americans, they need not to be attempting to virtue flex at this point in time.

If there was nothing there, then turn the pack of evidence over to Congress, and let them judge with their own minds as to the validity or fluff value of the content.  What is the FBI trying to hide?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good for you, I'm actually independent these days.  All I'm saying is that if the FBI did have an open investigation against JB for acts that could potentially lead to a litany of criminal charges, Congress should be allowed to conduct their own, unfettered investigation into weather any of those claims have merit or not.  The FBI is an agency of the American people, just like Congress, so the FBI should not be withholding any requested documents or information when asked by our Nation's lawmakers.  The FBI already appears very suspicious in the eyes of a significant portion of Americans, they need not to be attempting to virtue flex at this point in time.

If there was nothing there, then turn the pack of evidence over to Congress, and let them judge with their own minds as to the validity or fluff value of the content.  What is the FBI trying to hide?

What is the FBI trying to hide?  You obviously haven't been listening.  The Director of the FBI has said over and over that she has never handed over nor heard of a FD-1023 document being handed over outside of the FBI.  Why?  Because it contains the name of the Confidential Informant, which is not for public record.  This is what she's trying to "hide".  She has stated, that if they reveal the name of the CI, then no one will want to be a CI, that it is the entire point of confidentiality.

She offered to let the Congressmen view the document at FBI HQ to protect the CI.  Comer refused.  Now they are bringing the document with a security detail, to a secured room on the Capital, for Comer and his partner on the committee to view.  They will not be given the document, so as to protect the CI.  If they are forced to hand over the document, the name of the CI will be redacted to protect them.  Without the name of the CI, Congress can do essentially.....nothing.

Thus this is, again, a nothing burger.  Really do you trust Comer at all?  AT ALL?  Seriously???  He's a political hack with his lips attached to Trump **** just trying to make as much political hay as he can.  SMH
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 08:13 PM)Stewy Wrote: What is the FBI trying to hide?  You obviously haven't been listening.  The Director of the FBI has said over and over that she has never handed over nor heard of a FD-1023 document being handed over outside of the FBI.  Why?  Because it contains the name of the Confidential Informant, which is not for public record.  This is what she's trying to "hide".  She has stated, that if they reveal the name of the CI, then no one will want to be a CI, that it is the entire point of confidentiality.

She offered to let the Congressmen view the document at FBI HQ to protect the CI.  Comer refused.  Now they are bringing the document with a security detail, to a secured room on the Capital, for Comer and his partner on the committee to view.  They will not be given the document, so as to protect the CI.  If they are forced to hand over the document, the name of the CI will be redacted to protect them.  Without the name of the CI, Congress can do essentially.....nothing.

Thus this is, again, a nothing burger.  Really do you trust Comer at all?  AT ALL?  Seriously???  He's a political hack with his lips attached to Trump **** just trying to make as much political hay as he can.  SMH

No, I did not learn that part until now.  I left work early today, so I missed the late day new cycle, but thanks for alerting me.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 07:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The knowledge of the FD-1023 (I'm not sure that Giuliani was ever able to produce that document, as it's an official FBI document), the document in question, came to light as a result of whistleblowers in the FBI who noticed that normal protocols weren't being followed with regard to investigations into Joe Biden (these activities were alleged to have occurred while he was VP Biden) and Hunter Biden (that laptop that just keeps on giving with the negative publicity).

What they are saying is that the accusations that led to the FD-1023 were from Giuliani. That information was provided to the FBI during the 2020 election, i.e. during the Trump administration. They were unable to verify any sort of veracity to the claims.

There is supposedly a whistleblower. Did they ever find them?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good for you, I'm actually independent these days.  All I'm saying is that if the FBI did have an open investigation against JB for acts that could potentially lead to a litany of criminal charges, Congress should be allowed to conduct their own, unfettered investigation into weather any of those claims have merit or not.  The FBI is an agency of the American people, just like Congress, so the FBI should not be withholding any requested documents or information when asked by our Nation's lawmakers.  The FBI already appears very suspicious in the eyes of a significant portion of Americans, they need not to be attempting to virtue flex at this point in time.

The FBI has a higher approval rating than Congress, and quite frankly I trust them to do the right thing far more than any congressional committee.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 07:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: Maybe the others aren't carrying it because, from how I read it, there is a document, which is an accusation, nothing more.  The document itself it sounds like has no evidence attached to it.  Document:  "Biden stole candy from widows and orphans." - Now FBI you go investigate that!

This is the nub of it.

As I have said before, the RWM is STRUCTURALLY different from the MSM (though "corporate news" they may be).

Fox et al. will put into circulation "allegations" and keep them there for years, the stuff of future "breaking news" cycles.

Once they've been in circulation a few months, they're prefaced with "Given that we know" or "We now know" etc.

Repetition becomes fact--but ONLY in that bubble. And so people in it become more aggrieved and angry at what Dems "get away with." 
Reply/Quote
I know one thing. After the press conference at that landscaping business and his Borat appearance. Nothing gets by Giuliani. Guy is sharp
Reply/Quote

Not really. That's a recipe for the 8th Benghazi hearing. There is no document Jordan could get that would preclude demanding another.

From the intel side, I believe the FBI is sincerely worried that documents like the one in question can reveal their sources and methods to people who don't have the nation's best interests in mind. That's not about "virtue." That's a rule that has always been in place.

Comer and other committee members can see the document in question. They stand in for the American people here. Why do they actually need it if the info in it is actionable? They do not. This is just about publicly wrestling with the FBI and then capitalizing on the drama.

You've said the public doesn't trust the FBI; breaking the rules to conform to political pressure won't fix that. 

And the FBI's bad reputation is in part engineered by things like the Durham Report and the drumbeat of questions like "Why won't the FBI reveal x" despite receiving acceptable answers. 

The most serious pressure on the FBI in the last 50 years has come from the Trump administration. Remember Trump fired Comey for investigating his campaign. Said so publicly.  And after Comey dropped Hilary's numbers just before the election with the announcement he had re-opened an investigation into her. Then the one-sided Durham Report, which described managing an "asset" in the Clinton campaign, but went down in the RWM as establishing a pattern of bias against Trump because they took warranted risks with a FISA warrant. 

We were even treated to a slate of "whistleblowers" who were going to connect the dots and blow the FBI wide open. You saw them, right? Just MAGA true believers who would not follow the same rules as other agents--essentially making their own calls instead of doing their duty. 

So the RWM and its Congressional counterparts continue to foment distrust in the FBI which "isn't forthcoming," and must be "hiding something," and "obstructing" so we Americans cannot "get to the bottom" of, e.g., Hunter's laptop and the Biden crime families corruption. 

I never expected to say this in my life time, but at this point FBI "corruption" is so far no more than an attempt to protect Trump, to keep trust in him and not with an agency, a whole institution of people including Republicans, MUCH more constrained by rule of law than Trump and minions. 

If people are less trusting of the FBI than Trump, I just have to wonder what are their standards for trust? How are they deciding such matters as whom or what to trust? 
Reply/Quote