Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The amount of change to our starting line up
(05-06-2020, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is no doubt that Ross's problems (aside from health) seem to be above the shoulders.  Let's hope they get him involved early (like the Seattle game?) and he stays healthy all season.  I have said it numerous times that if Green, Ross, and Burrow are healthy all season, the Bengals will make the playoffs.  

I think a new HC helped Ross last year. A new QB might help him even more this year. I don't know how all the financials work out (picking up his 5th year option vs working our an extension with him this year), but I hope we didn't screw the pooch. TJ Houshmandzada is very high on him. He'd agree that Ross's main problem is above the shoulders. 

I don't know where they are with an extension, but let's not forget that Ross is predicting that Burrow takes them to the playoffs this year. That's not the talk of someone who's pissed at the organization. I hope something might be in the works to keep him around.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 01:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: All this turnover is why my expectations for this year are a little tempered.  When's the last time a team has bought in that many guys and had immediate results.

Can the 2020 season be any worse than the 2019?  I expect immediate results given the low bar they begin the season.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 01:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: All this turnover is why my expectations for this year are a little tempered.  When's the last time a team has bought in that many guys and had immediate results.

2017 LA Rams

2 new starting WRs (Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods)
New LT (Whit)
New OC (John Sullivan)
New LB Conner Barwin
New CB Kayvon Webster
New SS John Johnson

They went from 4 wins to 11
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2017 LA Rams

2 new starting WRs (Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods)
New LT (Whit)
New OC (John Sullivan)
New LB Conner Barwin
New CB Kayvon Webster
New SS John Johnson

They went from 4 wins to 11

Didn't the 49ers also turnover their team big time the year before last?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 01:27 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It's funny how many of the guys being replaced the team either signed last year or re-signed last year. They even gave Brown, Webb and Miller multi-year deals which now count $5.333M in dead cap space. Last season's free agency was like striking out 6 consecutive times to end a baseball game.

This season they did a 180 and went for quality instead of bargain bin finds.

This just makes me feel more and more that the coaches, namely Taylor but all of them just were not prepared thouroughly
last year. They had to see what they had and then get rid of the weaknesses. Takes some time to really look at an entire 
team and find out the exact weaknesses. While I wish they could of done more in retooling the O-line they cannot do it all
in one Offseason. Sure believe they figured out the weakness on Defense and addressed it big time.

Tackling and physicality were addressed at both NT and Linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This just makes me feel more and more that the coaches, namely Taylor but all of them just were not prepared thouroughly
last year. They had to see what they had and then get rid of the weaknesses. Takes some time to really look at an entire 
team and find out the exact weaknesses. While I wish they could of done more in retooling the O-line they cannot do it all
in one Offseason. Sure believe they figured out the weakness on Defense and addressed it big time.

Tackling and physicality were addressed at both NT and Linebacker.

I too loved the fact that they brought in 3 new LBers. That's how many I thought the team needed to bring in.

Reader was a surprise signing to me, but it could not have been done with the front office ponying up the money.

As far as evaluating the players, there's still a lot of question marks about this coaching staff. Take inserting Finley in as a starter when they had to know from practices that Finley has a very limited upside and will never push for a starting job.

Possibly they wanted to make sure they got the 1st pick in the draft without looking like they were trying to lose. Or possibly they have no clue how to win. We just can't tell at this point. But we should have a good idea after this season. If they can't at least best the 6 wins Marvin put up in his last season (where AJ missed half the games and Dalton missed 5), then I'll seriously question if any of these guys belong coaching in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 10:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

How many Steeler games has there been more piss and black than orange, especially last few years ?

Too damn many. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: At the risk of accusations for being delusional and living in imagination land, I'm going to post this anyways.

I don't think Dalton had the personality to mesh with a lot of the younger players. He is family-focused God-fearing good guy who would probably rather play scrabble with the family on Friday than go out with 'the boys'. I don't fully believe guys like Ross work well with that. Burrow seems more like the type to foster a strong relationship with 'the boys'.

Again, just my opinion, not a fact, please don't jump down my throat viewer of this post.

You got jumped all over for this, but I thought you might be interested in what a former Bengals pro bowl QB had to say about QB/WR chemistry, camaraderie, etc...

Check out what Jeff Blake says about his relationship with his WR’s vs David Klinger’s (go to the 35:15 mark)

https://youtu.be/agKrcY3KiLU

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 11:40 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Quite some time?  I would like to know when the coaches knew they had to wholesale replace the defense.  2019 Training camp or during the season?
Maybe Zac knew it when he interviewed for the job and explained to the Brown's his plans to replace specific guys?

I think they probably knew right away, but convincing Mike Brown was another matter.  At any rate, this is truly Zac's team now.  Most of the Marvin era players are gone and Burrow ushers in the Zac Taylor era.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 07:48 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think they probably knew right away, but convincing Mike Brown was another matter.  At any rate, this is truly Zac's team now.  Most of the Marvin era players are gone and Burrow ushers in the Zac Taylor era.

I'm very anxious to see how this plays out now that we are seeing some separation from the ML era ?
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 05:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You got jumped all over for this, but I thought you might be interested in what a former Bengals pro bowl QB had to say about QB/WR chemistry, camaraderie, etc...

Check out what Jeff Blake says about his relationship with his WR’s vs David Klinger’s (go to the 35:15 mark)

https://youtu.be/agKrcY3KiLU

Lol I hope everyone has a chance to watch this video.

Jeff Blake says he 'went out to the spot' with the receivers, while Klinger would go home after practice. NO chemsitry. Says his relationship with the receivers is why they got on track so quickly. You heard it straight from an NFL QBs mouth.

Thank you so much for finding this gem Nicomo.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 10:19 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 5. C.J. Uzomah replaced Tyler Eifert
Maybe the only downgrade on offense this off season, as Eifert was a really good player who just couldn't stay on the field until last year. Uzomah isn't a new player, obviously, but he did show some receiving talent towards the end of last year and I think he'll continue to grow with a QB who really likes his big TE target, in Joe Burrow.
I'm not so sure Uzomah is a downgrade to Eifert at this point.
2019 Eifert - 16 games, 43 rec, 436 yards, 3 TDs
2018 Uzomah - 16 games, 43 rec, 439 yards, 3 TDs
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tackling and physicality were addressed at both NT and Linebacker.

And in the DB's...
Reply/Quote