Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best pre-season left tackle (per PFF) is currently an unsigned free agent
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-pff-all-preseason-team?utm_content=bufferea544&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Left tackle: Victor Salako, Philadelphia Eagles, 79.2 overall grade
Salako earned the top preseason overall grade at his position, thanks to a balanced performance on run and pass blocks. His run blocking grade of 80.2 ranked 13th among all tackles, and he did not give up a single pressure on 43 pass blocks.

Just some food for thought. Currently we have 52 players on the roster until Vontaze and Adam Jones end their suspensions.

I also like that two Bengals made this list (Jordan Evans and Chris Smith).

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thats odd that hes a free agent. Sign him up. Let me check his measurables.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 02:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Thats odd that hes a free agent. Sign him up. Let me check his measurables.

That's what she said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Nah. We're comfortable with Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Andre Smith.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Since Og has been anointed  the next coming of Anthony Munoz why would we want another pretty good LT? 
That aside there's probably a reason he's still a FA and I'm guessing it's not because he doesn't like bubblegum with hot sauce.. Perhaps he stepped on the toes of the powers that be and got himself blackballed somehow. Who knows? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Should give him a look if he fits our system.

But it is PFF which i don't put crazy stock in, but they are right about Evans and Chris Smith playing very well so there is that as well.

Salako might be a nice pick up for us as a backup in case Og doesn't improve.

Bet Og does improve though.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 01:52 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-pff-all-preseason-team?utm_content=bufferea544&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Left tackle: Victor Salako, Philadelphia Eagles, 79.2 overall grade
Salako earned the top preseason overall grade at his position, thanks to a balanced performance on run and pass blocks. His run blocking grade of 80.2 ranked 13th among all tackles, and he did not give up a single pressure on 43 pass blocks.

Just some food for thought. Currently we have 52 players on the roster until Vontaze and Adam Jones end their suspensions.

I also like that two Bengals made this list (Jordan Evans and Chris Smith).

Did he grade that well though because he was playing against 3rd string defenders who are also currently on the street looking for a job?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Did he grade that well though because he was playing against 3rd string defenders who are also currently on the street looking for a job?

You beat me to it

But I'm all for having another plan B besides Smith.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 03:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: Since Og has been anointed  the next coming of Anthony Munoz why would we want another pretty good LT? 
That aside there's probably a reason he's still a FA and I'm guessing it's not because he doesn't like bubblegum with hot sauce.. Perhaps he stepped on the toes of the powers that be and got himself blackballed somehow. Who knows? 

Could be that the Eagles already have a pretty good Oline. He's young and even though he made this list, of course some of what PFF is rating him on did not come against first string competition. 

His draft profile says his technique/stance are irregular. Not sure if I care about that if he keeps Andy healthy and gives him time to throw:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/victor-salako?id=2557988

Overview
A bit overlooked as a high school recruit from Huntsville, Alabama, Salako (suh-LAY-koh) was a great pick-up for the Alabama-Birmingham football program. He started 11 games at left tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2013, and all 12 games at the position the following season. Then, UAB cut their program, spreading their talent across the country. Salako ended up at Oklahoma State, where he's lined up every game the past two years at left tackle for the Cowboys. Big 12 coaches voted him second-team all-conference for his play on the blind side in 2016.

Analysis

STRENGTHS
Possesses a massive frame with good length to get into defenders. Plays with decent strength in his hands. Able to land a punch and latch on early in the rep. Frame provides him natural power to generate some early movement. Finds his way back inside against counter moves in pass protection. Utilized controlled approach to his target in run game.

WEAKNESSES
Straight-legged blocker with poor knee bend and overall leg stiffness. Plays out of an unorthodox pre-snap stance and pops straight up. Less a kick-slide that sluggish shuffle in pass sets. Allows defenders to live under his pads and gives initial ground against bull-rushers. Very narrow base as a run blocker and struggles to stay connected to his blocks. Balance is poor.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:52 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Could be that the Eagles already have a pretty good Oline. He's young and even though he made this list, of course some of what PFF is rating him on did not come against first string competition. 

I think that you hit it, right there.  Let's not forget that the Eagles also cut Orlosky, a Center that many on here were big on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yea. If only we had an open roster spot.....

Not to mention dude would cost mike brown a rookie minimum game check.
Reply/Quote
Can we cut Nickerson who half of us are better than. I say add this guy. 6 6 335 but hes really stiff and not really athletic. Who knows that sounds like Whitworth to me. He sounds like the complete opposite of OG. Stiff, un athletic, big and strong, so he plays better than he looks.
Reply/Quote
I think we have to roll with what we have. Dude doesn't know the playbook or teammates. It would take him several weeks to adapt if not an entire season.

Reply/Quote
He's already been signed anyway. Edit......NEVERMIND I WAS THINKING OF BOONE.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what Margus Hunt's rating on PFF was the last couple of years during preseason.

Anyone know? I feel it was high, and we know how that one turned out.
Reply/Quote
We have our starters for this season, not sure why we even bring other players up.. we have two young drafted tackles.. they are like teenagers.. it is time to give them the keys to the car and see what they do this year.. if they crash it, well we lost a car and they lost their license.. if they drive well, our insurance goes down and we are happy.. if they drive ok ,, we keep our insurance and hope they keep improving their driving.

What we don;t do replace our teen with a new teen before they really have driven the car over a prolonged time..
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 09:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We have our starters for this season, not sure why we even bring other players up.. we have two young drafted tackles.. they are like teenagers.. it is time to give them the keys to the car and see what they do this year.. if they crash it, well we lost a car and they lost their license.. if they drive well, our insurance goes down and we are happy.. if they drive ok ,, we keep our insurance and hope they keep improving their driving.

What we don;t do replace our teen with a new teen before they really have driven the car over a prolonged time..

Or we could look at it for what it is. A physical game where guys get hurt. Our starting LT has never played 16 games and our backup at both tackle spots rarely stays healthy for all 16. 

Here we are wasting a week and a roster spot when we could be evaluating and preparing an emergency replacement. Hopefully it wont be needed. But this is the nfl.
Reply/Quote
Know nothing about him other than what I have read on here.

But if the coaches think he is better than our back ups ?

Then heck yes, bring him in for a look.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Guys i hate to break it to you, but were not going away from what weve got already on the offensive line. This is the unit we'll be stuck with all year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bumping this thread because 8 sacks and no time to throw is still a problem, though not the only problem.

Reply/Quote