Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big 3 is the problem
(11-16-2017, 04:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let me answer your question with a question: if you expect the Bengals to lose this Sunday and they do lose, would YOU enjoy your expectations being correct?

Nope, but I also would never say/ make reference to/ suggest..... I want them to play Denver and lose so folks can see how smart I am.

I fully expect the Bengals to beat Denver this year
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's more than that. I think a lot of fans on this board remember how bad the 90's were and how long we searched for a QB and while they know Dalton isn't the best, he's not 90's level bad either.

Yes - Some fans on this board are content with making the playoffs with 9-10 wins and losing and consider that a successful season. I'm not one of them, but I think a decent percentage of posters are.

I fit into the first group, but not the second. Dalton is good enough. I do not think he's the reason we max out at 9-10 wins and 1-n-done. I've never been happy about that, but I realize there are other, far bigger, reasons for that.

(11-16-2017, 03:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you're saying folks would not enjoy their EXPECTATIONS being correct?

Not more than winning. You may find this hard to believe, but some enjoy the actual team more than being right to an anonymous group of message board posters.

If McCarron won a championship here, I couldn't give 2 squats about some MB beef.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 04:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, but I also would never say/ make reference to/ suggest..... I want them to play Denver and lose so folks can see how smart I am.

I fully expect the Bengals to beat Denver this year

And I haven't seen anyone suggest/make reference to/say that they want McCarron to play poorly so that folks can see how smart they are either. I have seen people say they wished McCarron would play while simultaneously expecting that his play would be poor, but I'm sure somehow you'd spin that as wishing he'd play poorly not realizing that people are nuanced and can have complicated feelings and opinions.

BTW, most people expected our offensive line to struggle this season. Think everyone that did so is enjoying being right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 04:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And I haven't seen anyone suggest/make reference to/say that they want McCarron to play poorly so that folks can see how smart they are either. I have seen people say they wished McCarron would play while simultaneously expecting that his play would be poor, but I'm sure somehow you'd spin that as wishing he'd play poorly not realizing that people are nuanced and can have complicated feelings and opinions.

BTW, most people expected our offensive line to struggle this season. Think everyone that did so is enjoying being right?

Well Merv and PA didn't think the oline was a concern going into the season......reckon they enjoy being wrong? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 04:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well Merv and PA didn't think the oline was a concern going into the season......reckon they enjoy being wrong? Mellow

Let's ask him:
Merv, your thoughts on the oline being a concern after stating in the offseason that it wasn't?

[Image: usa-today-8313444.0.jpg]

Oooooooooooooooookay. How about you, Paul? Anything to say about the oline?

[Image: usa-today-8062833.0.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 04:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not more than winning. You may find this hard to believe, but some enjoy the actual team more than being right to an anonymous group of message board posters.

If McCarron won a championship here, I couldn't give 2 squats about some MB beef.

As I said, it was just a vibe I was getting. Folks have set me straight

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:45 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Actually let's just call it like it is. There are diehard Dalton fans who will wait years for him to succeed till he basically retires. 

There is no possible way to determine if McCarron would do better or go farther then Andy Dalton right now. 

1. I feel comfortable speaking for anyone that currently defends Dalton; if there were a better option available, they (we) would be all for it. Currently, there isn't. 

2. Actually, there is. He's played enough in the preseason and regular season to show where his talents stack up to Dalton's. And it's safe and fair to say, with what he's shown, he would not do better on the current team. 

As it's been pointed out multiple times, he came in and with the exact same team, didn't play up to the same standard that Dalton had the entire year. Lesser regular season stats + equal performance in a playoff game =/= a better option. If he can't perform equally on a much better team, how could he logically play better on a worse team?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am getting the vibe that if we go with AJM there is a population here that would enjoy seeing him fail; so they can sat "told Ya"?

I personally have not called for AJM to start; however, if we did I would hope he does very well.

Yes...kinda. But i'd have to say my angle would be, since i believe he wouldn't do better, and would actually do worse, it's not that i'd be rooting against him...it's just more of an assumed outcome that came true. So, basically "told ya" without any actual malice.

And, i would also root for him to do well, even though i have this seed of anger against Marv that wants to see him do nothing but fail...as dumb and oxymoronic as that sounds. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 03:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you're saying folks would not enjoy their EXPECTATIONS being correct?

Yes.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 05:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes...kinda. But i'd have to say my angle would be, since i believe he wouldn't do better, and would actually do worse, it's not that i'd be rooting against him...it's just more of an assumed outcome that came true. So, basically "told ya" without any actual malice.

And, i would also root for him to do well, even though i have this seed of anger against Marv that wants to see him do nothing but fail...as dumb and oxymoronic as that sounds. 

Well put. I would thoroughly enjoy rubbing some faces in it (if Mac failed), but I wouldn't root for him to fail just so I could do that. 

Although I think I've said something along those lines, out of frustration. Ultimately, winning (especially titles) makes everything more fun, including these boards. Losing makes everyone miserable and makes these boards pretty miserable. Ripping into the McCarron fan club would provide some enjoyment, but not enough to justify wanting that over a championship.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am getting the vibe that if we go with AJM there is a population here that would enjoy seeing him fail; so they can sat "told Ya"?

I personally have not called for AJM to start; however, if we did I would hope he does very well.

Or, if you're not looking to just argue or just be snarky, it might be pretty easy to see that people don't think any QB would succeed, a group which would include AJ.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 09:11 PM)McC Wrote: Or, if you're not looking to just argue or just be snarky, it might be pretty easy to see that people don't think any QB would succeed, a group which would include AJ.

Yeah I also disagree with the "no QB would be successful here" stance, but that's a whole different thread. 

Reply/Quote

I've got my own group,and you do get the sense most the Dalton lovers ,do not like when McCarron plays,they look at anything at all to say he's doing wrong or discredit him. Just by saying he did no good this preseason is biased ,because neither did Dalton lol McCarron played with all the backups against backups.dalton didn't score a touchdown either.dalton lovers will go to their grave saying it wasn't his fault. They are simply just Dalton fans.

I mean I was a Jeremy hill fan ,and think he was misused more then he just actually sucked,but I wasn't going to defend him hardcore not to get someone else.lastly this Dalton war will never end,I doubt Dalton ever wins a playoff game here, unless some genius coach comes in. Definitely don't see him getting a ring even with genius coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 10:00 PM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: I've got my own group,and you do get the sense most the Dalton lovers ,do not like when McCarron plays,they look at anything at all to say he's doing wrong or discredit him. Just by saying he did no good this preseason is biased ,because neither did Dalton lol McCarron played with all the backups against backups.dalton didn't score a touchdown either.dalton lovers will go to their grave saying it wasn't his fault. They are simply just Dalton fans.

I mean I was a Jeremy hill fan ,and think he was misused more then he just actually sucked,but I wasn't going to defend him hardcore not to get someone else.lastly this Dalton war will never end,I doubt Dalton ever wins a playoff game here, unless some genius coach comes in. Definitely don't see him getting a ring even with genius coach.

So they're basically like Dalton haters, but with a different QB?  Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 11:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So they're basically like Dalton haters, but with a different QB?  Wink

You can say that.i knew that one was coming btw.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 11:26 PM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: You can say that.i knew that one was coming btw.

You knew it was coming because it's true.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 11:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You knew it was coming because it's true.  Smirk

It's similar because both types of fans just don't like the other. Except McCarron hasn't had the starts compared to Dalton. I don't think they are that far apart talent wise . But aj might have some intangibles Andy doesn't, like leadership , not shrinking in big games , qb mechanics and possibly accuracy. 

But Dalton has the experience and faster release . And McCarron did hold it too long and played it safe a lot. Do I think McCarron would be a big stat guy,no. 

We have not seen enough of McCarron. And that's why I just roll my eyes when people say they KNOW Dalton is better.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah I also disagree with the "no QB would be successful here" stance, but that's a whole different thread. 

Okay, let me put it this way, no QB who holds the ball too long, has little experience, couldn't read a zone defense if his life depended on it and turns the ball over way too much could succeed here under these circumstances.

It's really easy to say put this guy in, he'll be better without any kind of facts to support it or this other QB who plays in a better situation could succeed here if he's never tried to play behind this line.  That's all complete supposition, of course, otherwise known as talking out of your ass.

Maybe Russell Wilson could run around and make things happen, until he gets broken in half, since they will always catch up to you, no matter how fast you can run away.  So, Russell Wilson, maybe, with a big ticking clock on him, on how long it takes to get that big hit that ends in IR. 

Aaron Rodgers, until he gets hurt, which is exactly what happened to him in GB. 

So, go on and suppose out your ass all you want and assume you know what other people are hoping for.  Meanwhile., excuse me, I'm wanted back in the real world.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 01:45 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: It's similar because both types of fans just don't like the other. Except McCarron hasn't had the starts compared to Dalton. I don't think they are that far apart talent wise . But aj might have some intangibles Andy doesn't, like leadership , not shrinking in big games , qb mechanics and possibly accuracy. 

But Dalton has the experience and faster release . And McCarron did hold it too long and played it safe a lot. Do I think McCarron would be a big stat guy,no. 

We have not seen enough of McCarron. And that's why I just roll my eyes when people say they KNOW Dalton is better.

That's the whole point.  And what we have seen of him in no way suggests he could be the answer right here right now.   In fact, it suggests the exact opposite, which is what the "Dalton lovers," this weird phrase which is your go to, keep saying and you keep ignoring.

Reply/Quote