Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The biggest storm I ever encountered
http://blogs.woodtv.com/2015/05/31/derecho-of-1998-17-years-ago-today/#comments

You guys remember this storm? Read about it in the link I put up. I will never forget the high winds that night. This storm happened 17 years ago yesterday. The winds came through here and it was the highest winds I have ever experienced. I was totally asleep and when it blew through here we had kitchen coverts and the refridgerator doors blow open. Our table on the deck was taken right off the deck and thrown into the yard like 40 feet away. We had lightning blow a crater in the backyard. Lightning hit our neighbors barn next door and started a fire in the barn but luckily they were up and got the fire under control before anything started. I remember when it rained it was like a monsoon raining sideways. You couldn't see 10 feet out of the house and we had small hail that came down with it. It went across the lake and really nailed Michigan even worse. Three weeks ago when we were driving across Indiana and hit I 75 in Ohio there were tornado warnings but it looked like no storm even hit that day. That reminded me of this storm.
Reply/Quote
Not being near most of you all, I didn't experience that. We had a derecho a few years ago, though, that was ridiculous. I remember siding laying in the parking lot from nearby buildings.

I've been in some pretty interesting storms. In the Valley here, though, we stay pretty protected. Unless a storm enters through one of the ends it usually gets a lot of the punch taken out by the mountains. Sometimes when it makes its way in through an end it bounces around a bit and loses momentum. But every once in a while we get one that just barrels down the valley wreaking havoc.

My most memorable one was a tornado that hit while I was camping. And not just like backpacking camping, I mean tent city camping with the Boy Scouts in a big open field. Scary stuff.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Went through a tornado many years ago. Lived in a small town then. It was just touching down here and there but when it did it tore up jack. I'll never forget this front porch about 4 or 5 houses down from us, it basically took the entire front porch off intact and set it down a couple yards over !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Been in quite a few, but you haven't lived until you've been at sea in hurricane force winds and 40ft swells. Excited
Reply/Quote
There was a pretty wild wind storm in the Midwest in 2008. Cincinnati was hit particularly bad, and during a Bengals game to make matters worse. I remember the television at Bar Louie bring frozen on Cedric Benson's face for 15 minutes or so before power actually went out. That night, trees were down everywhere and almost no one had power. A buddy of mine lives in Cheviot and we decided that a bonfire and beer were the way to go....it seems like the whole street did. We stocked up on booze and found the only place to eat that was open (a little caeser's). We ordered 4 or the last 5 pizzas and ended up giving one away to a man and his young son because they didn't make the cut.

I was living in Finneytown at the time and we didn't have power for 8 days. I was working at Larosas and everything in the freezer was going to be trashed. My manager at the store split all the beers in the store 4 ways if me and two other guys helped empty the freezer of food to save it from spoiling. We ended up with about 100 beers each and all got super drunk in the dining room.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I was only 12 when this one happened, living in Cincinnati, but still, this was the worst weather pattern i was ever aware of happening around me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak#Xenia.2C_Ohio
Reply/Quote
I was downtown Nashville when the tornado came through in 1998.

I ducked into a parking garage which was completely safe underground, but it sounded like a train was going over our heads. When I came out there was trash all over the place. I only lived about 4 or 5 miles away but it took me all day to get home. Lots of big trees blown down all over the place.

Almost no one had cell phones back then. The landlines were overwhelmed, and it was not until much later that night that I was able to get through to my parents and let them know I was alright.
Reply/Quote
This the same storm Fred?
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:21 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There was a pretty wild wind storm in the Midwest in 2008. Cincinnati was hit particularly bad, and during a Bengals game to make matters worse. I remember the television at Bar Louie bring frozen on Cedric Benson's face for 15 minutes or so before power actually went out. That night, trees were down everywhere and almost no one had power. A buddy of mine lives in Cheviot and we decided that a bonfire and beer were the way to go....it seems like the whole street did. We stocked up on booze and found the only place to eat that was open (a little caeser's). We ordered 4 or the last 5 pizzas and ended up giving one away to a man and his young son because they didn't make the cut.

I was living in Finneytown at the time and we didn't have power for 8 days. I was working at Larosas and everything in the freezer was going to be trashed. My manager at the store split all the beers in the store 4 ways if me and two other guys helped empty the freezer of food to save it from spoiling. We ended up with about 100 beers each and all got super drunk in the dining room.

Hurricane Ike. We were hosting Tennessee and (if memory serves) losing pretty badly in the 4th quarter when they flashed a message on the south PBS scoreboard that I-75 northbound was closed. We decided to leave and came through downtown trying to make it over to 71. Just like everybody else. Traffic was snarled, and the wind was rocking the car as we sat in this canyon of buildings. There was a USA Today box on the sidewalk next to us, and I thought the wind was going to pull it right out of the concrete.

71 and 275 were both packed, and as we sat in traffic, road construction signs were being ripped out and were flying everywhere. When I finally got home all of Dayton was without power. I listened to SNF on an emergency radio, while outside in the stillness I could hear neighbors walking around and chatting with one another. The juice finally came back on about 3:30 the next afternoon. Guess I can't complain seeing as you had 8 days without power.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:37 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I was only 12 when this one happened, living in Cincinnati, but still, this was the worst weather pattern i was ever aware of happening around me.

Yep, lived through it.

Good news is we got the movie "Gummo" from it
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 11:31 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Yep, lived through it.

Good news is we got the movie "Gummo" from it

Now that I think about it 1988 Hurricane Hugo, wrecked charlotte, I mean crippled it.
Reply/Quote
Hurricane Ike - eyewall went right over my house
Reply/Quote
I was in Harrison Ohio the night that tornado went through there. That was a wild night and all those poor little slab houses that were taken out.

It was crazy the next morning and seeing all the damage and the path of the tornado when it came down the hill out of Indiana.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:37 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I was only 12 when this one happened, living in Cincinnati, but still, this was the worst weather pattern i was ever aware of happening around me.

I was 11 when that happened.  I was living in Franklin which is only about 20 miles from Xenia and right in the path of that storm.  It just didn't touch down there like it did in Xenia.

I remember that shortly after those storms my family took a trip to southern Kentucky where my father was from.  There were trees blown over all through the state of Kentucky almost down to Tennessee.
Reply/Quote
Staying with Grandpa and Grandma one night in the early eighties. Grandpa went uptown to the tavern to have a drink and wait for our pizza to be made. Grandma and I heard the loudest of roars, then looked out the window and couldn't see anything. Quickly figuring out the situation, we headed to the basement. As we were headed down the stairwell, I looked over to the bedroom and watched a 2X4 go through one wall and out the other. We were lucky, because every single house around us was completely destroyed, but Grandma's house sustained minimal damage. Tornados are strange as Hell. Grandpa drove home, not knowing what had happened, because all they had were strong winds at the bar. He went into shock, and had to be taken to the hospital, amongst all of the chaos.
Reply/Quote