Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The case for Joe Burrow
A lot of draftniks are projecting Joe Burrow to us at the #1 overall pick. I wanted to look at the case for taking him in the most neutral (to current players) manner I could.

1) He does seem to possess skills we will need in the future at QB, such as pocket presence, football smarts (reading the defense and such) and work ethic. Mobility is good enough - not a jackrabbit but able to be mobile. He also seems to have excellent touch on his passes and ball placement is a strength.

2) In theory we would be able to save cap room because we would be putting a rookie seal salary on the rolls in exchange for a (in NFL terms) NFL veteran QB salary that is a bit under the average.

3) Possibility to generating some fan excitement for the franchise.

On the other hand, we might be well advised to redshirt Burrow if we take him until we stabilize the Offensive Line and know we have some targets for him to throw at. Now if we do invest in said issues in Free Agency and/or the Draft this situation kind of goes away.

I will say this - if we go Burrow (I was a Tua supporter until the injury) then I start to strongly consider going WR in Round 2 for a fast, tall WR whose scouting says can run proper routes and play the ball properly in the air (Tee Higgins or Laviska Shenault?).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Indeed; if Jefferson, Pittman or someone from Alabama is there at 2, you get him.

Though Oline and LB may also be in play, though that will depend on the FA period as well.

Lots of things can be done, to plug the holes we have.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He's too good to sit on the bench; let's not waste our time with that
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; if Jefferson, Pittman or someone from Alabama is there at 2, you get him.

Though Oline and LB may also be in play, though that will depend on the FA period as well.

Would love Jefferson in the 2nd. If he’s there at 33 we should run to the podium lol

Reply/Quote
I'm not the biggest fan of Justin Jefferson. I would rather have Higgins or Shenault at 33 if they are there as the OP suggests.

Great thing about this draft is they don't have to reach for a WR even though they need at least one to shake up that room.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; if Jefferson, Pittman or someone from Alabama is there at 2, you get him.

Yep, I'd love to see Jefferson fall. If he's there at #33 it would take a top level OT or LBer to even slow me down running to podium.

And like you say we really need to get a LBer (Littleton) in free agency. Oline free agency wouldn't hurt either.

To me Burrow at 1OA is not even in question.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Would love Jefferson in the 2nd. If he’s there at 33 we should run to the podium lol

Wholeheartedly agree. I've seen a lot of him the last 2 years and he is crisp in his routes, along with having pretty good hands.

(01-05-2020, 04:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not the biggest fan of Justin Jefferson. I would rather have Higgins or Shenault at 33 if they are there as the OP suggests.

Great thing about this draft is they don't have to reach for a WR even though they need at least one to shake up that room.

Boo!!!!!!

Hey, we can get the same talent (roughly) in the first round, all the way to the 3rd round. ANYONE would be cool with me, personally.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wholeheartedly agree. I've seen a lot of him the last 2 years and he is crisp in his routes, along with having pretty good hands.

Boo!!!!!!

Hey, we can get the same talent (roughly) in the first round, all the way to the 3rd round. ANYONE would be cool with me, personally.

Lol Jefferson is a big guy that gets alot of favorable matchups out of the slot and running alot of crossers.

I'd rather see Isaiah Hodgins, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims. These guys alot more suddenness to their game. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol Jefferson is a big guy that gets alot of favorable matchups out of the slot and running alot of crossers.

I'd rather see Isaiah Hodgins, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims. These guys alot more suddenness to their game. 

You don’t think the already established chemistry with Burrow would be a factor? Even in a new offense.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You don’t think the already established chemistry with Burrow would be a factor? Even in a new offense.

Of course chemistry is important between a QB and WR and it would help both of them early but as a draft prospect I would take Isaiah Hodgins over him at top of the 3rd. Now if Higgins is at there at 33...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: 3) Possibility to generating some fan excitement for the franchise.

On the other hand, we might be well advised to redshirt Burrow if we take him until we stabilize the Offensive Line and know we have some targets for him to throw at. Now if we do invest in said issues in Free Agency and/or the Draft this situation kind of goes away. 

We sign free agent Tom Brady for a 1 year deal while redshirting Burrow. Done and Done.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 05:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We sign free agent Tom Brady for a 1 year deal while redshirting Burrow. Done and Done.

Outdated approach. Teams want to utilize every year of rookie QB deals these days. Burrow will be ready to start day one.

Reply/Quote
I don't see how you could not take Burrow with where this franchise is.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 05:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Outdated approach. Teams want to utilize every year of rookie QB deals these days. Burrow will be ready to start day one.

It was mostly a joke. They'd never pay for Brady.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 05:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It was mostly a joke. They'd never pay for Brady.

Idk, over-the-hill players that used to be good seems right in our wheelhouse...

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 05:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Of course chemistry is important between a QB and WR and it would help both of them early but as a draft prospect I would take Isaiah Hodgins over him at top of the 3rd. Now if Higgins is at there at 33...

I would love Jefferson in round 2 even if we bring back AJ Green. We get more bang for our buck if we draft a WR early n go for a free agent linebacker . The linebacker out of Colorado is legit to buy might get gone.
Reply/Quote
My feeling about potentially going WR in Round 2 is because of all the injuries to both AJ and Effect - neither can be relied on to play full games and/or full seasons any longer. We've seen enough I think of not having any receivers that secondaries have to adjust for.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 05:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I would love Jefferson in round 2 even if we bring back AJ Green.   We get more bang for our buck if we draft a WR early n go for a free agent linebacker .   The linebacker out of Colorado is legit to buy might get gone.

I'm not a fan of Justin Jefferson at 33. Jefferson is a big guy but isnt fast and doesnt have alot of suddenness to his game. He gets alot of favorable matchups in the slot and runs a ton of crossers. Jefferson is getting alot of love right now but I believe he is gonna be a guy that falls a little.

Like I said I would take Isaiah Hodgins at 65. He is a guy that is going to be on alot more draft radars after the Senior Bowl and the Combine. If Tee Higgins or Laviska Shenualt is there at 33 I would jump on either of those.

If I was going to push for an LSU Tiger to pair with Joe Burrow it would be Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

Reply/Quote
The second round is going to be super interesting.

Whether we go WR, LB or OT will depend entirely on who's available. Honestly, all things equal, I am leaning towards OT. Hart has a much better chance of endangering Burrow's career than having to throw to Tate rather than Jefferson (this is assuming our #1 and #2 WRs remain Green and Boyd).

If we don't re-sign Green (for some reason), then WR may become a necessity in the 2nd round.

Which, in my opinion, is all the more reason why retaining Green is extremely important to this team's 2020 campaign.
Reply/Quote
My hope us the FO makes a couple trades to get more picks in the top 100 this year. Get 2 more picks to have flexibility in what to draft where.

Qb, lb, Ol, Wr, Cb. Not in that order except Qb first. Or maybe double dip LB or OL or something.

It's just a daydream
Reply/Quote