Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The case for Joe Burrow
(01-05-2020, 08:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I understand the miss this amount of games angle but an Ankle Sprain is not going to scare me from the talent that is AJ Green.

Agreed.  I don't really understand all this posturing in the media...maybe he is getting bad advice from his agent.  However, he is a guy that makes a difference when healthy, so I could see the Bengals offering him a deal that COULD net out the number he wants (which isn't really about money, but "ranking" among the other WRs...even AJ has an ego) if he hits all the incentives.  

He, and his agent, have to understand the logic behind an incentive-laden contract.  If they don't, franchise and try to trade.  I would not offer the guaranteed ridiculous money for one position when he has proven to be anything but available.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can't stand the guy, but this actually highlights Pete Carroll, or his OC (I think it is a Schottenhiemer), and their proper usage of the player to his talents.  He is the epitome of what could be an outstanding X receiver:  speed to burn, size, hands, toughness....Takes the top off the defense and also has great balance should he be able to shake a defender on a comeback route.  

He blocks down field too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 10:11 AM)jason Wrote: He blocks down field too.

Haha, yep...pancaked a guy on a couple different occasions yesterday.  He's like a tall LB, that can catch.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: 3) Possibility to generating some fan excitement for the franchise.

You know I always like to set my expectations.

For example, I figured that our defense this year would still be bad. However, I figured that if Lou was able to get us to 20th-24th in defense, in terms of total yards, then I would be really happy and excited for that.

Cause that would have been a huge improvement over Austin the previous year, but we weren't able to do that.

I was more optimistic than some and I thought that we would be somewhere around 8-8.

So, I try to set my expectations for Joe Burrow.

But I find it hard with Joe Burrow. 

I know it sounds crazy, but I know who he reminds me of.

Once upon a time, we drafted a Ohio quarterback that was 6'4 216 just like Burrow.

One that threw for 554 yards in a game in college, an NCAA record at the time.

Paul Brown and Bill Walsh went to personally scout him and after watching that game Brown leaned over to Walsh and said, “That quarterback. That’s our draft choice.”

This QB led the NCAA in Passing Yards, Total Yards, Total TD'S responsible for, total passing touchdowns, yards per play.

Much like how Burrow has lit it up this year.

Now he had a stronger arm then Burrow, but Burrow is more athletic.

I'm of course taking about Greg Cook!

I believe it was his teammate Bob that once said, “He was a prince that never got to be king.”

Let's hope that can never be said of Joe Burrow.

Let's hope our team puts him in the best situation to win.

I'd be happy with a 6-10 to 8-8 record next year, that has us getting better and better on offense as the year goes along.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol Jefferson is a big guy that gets alot of favorable matchups out of the slot and running alot of crossers.

I'd rather see Isaiah Hodgins, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Mims. These guys alot more suddenness to their game. 

yeah its no big deal that jefferson already has bulit in chemistry and better production than judy and ceedee lamb this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 10:34 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: You know I always like to set my expectations.

For example, I figured that our defense this year would still be bad. However, I figured that if Lou was able to get us to 20th-24th in defense, in terms of total yards, then I would be really happy and excited for that.

Cause that would have been a huge improvement over Austin the previous year, but we weren't able to do that.

I was more optimistic than some and I thought that we would be somewhere around 8-8.

So, I try to set my expectations for Joe Burrow.

But I find it hard with Joe Burrow. 

I know it sounds crazy, but I know who he reminds me of.

Once upon a time, we drafted a Ohio quarterback that was 6'4 216 just like Burrow.

One that threw for 554 yards in a game in college, an NCAA record at the time.

Paul Brown and Bill Walsh went to personally scout him and after watching that game Brown leaned over to Walsh and said, “That quarterback. That’s our draft choice.”

This QB led the NCAA in Passing Yards, Total Yards, Total TD'S responsible for, total passing touchdowns, yards per play.

Much like how Burrow has lit it up this year.

Now he had a stronger arm then Burrow, but Burrow is more athletic.

I'm of course taking about Greg Cook!

I believe it was his teammate Bob that once said, “He was a prince that never got to be king.”

Let's hope that can never be said of Joe Burrow.

Let's hope our team puts him in the best situation to win.

I'd be happy with a 6-10 to 8-8 record next year, that has us getting better and better on offense as the year goes along.

WAIT hold up LMAO!

your comparing this guy

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/greg-cook-2.html

to this guy

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-burrow-1.html

you have to be joking or you were in a car accident and have permanent brain damage.  

look at completion percentage, td/int ration.  total yards.  I've seen a lot of things in my life but your account should be banned for this comparison.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; if Jefferson, Pittman or someone from Alabama is there at 2, you get him.

Though Oline and LB may also be in play, though that will depend on the FA period as well.

Lots of things can be done, to plug the holes we have.

You seem to be pretty high on Pittman. Higher than I've seen some pundits put him.

Personally, I think USC does a good job producing WRs.
They have been in the WR2/3 range, but pretty consistently having someone making an impact at the NFL level.
Woods, Lee, Agholor, and JJSS come to mind.

Do you see Pittman as becoming a legit WR1 or do you see him in the WR2/3 range? Personally, I see him in the latter, but I like his skill set.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You seem to be pretty high on Pittman. Higher than I've seen some pundits put him.

Personally, I think USC does a good job producing WRs.
They have been in the WR2/3 range, but pretty consistently having someone making an impact at the NFL level.
Woods, Lee, Agholor, and JJSS come to mind.

Do you see Pittman as becoming a legit WR1 or do you see him in the WR2/3 range? Personally, I see him in the latter, but I like his skill set.

I indeed see him as the latter.

I haven't seen much of him (just 2 games, bowl game and the great Utah game), but he looked great in those 2 games and his overall numbers this year are very good.

Plus he's good on teams (as a returner and can be used as a gunner, I'm sure) and I like USC... and I've always been a huge fan of his father lol

I see him as another Boyd; while technically we would need a more AJ-like receiver, 2 Boyds is far from a bad thing (I'm assuming AJ will be back, btw, in all of this).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
PFF ranks LSU offensive line 30th.
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 09:14 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF ranks LSU offensive line 30th.
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

Impossible. I’ve been told multiple times here “Burrow has a great OL” so it has to be true!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2020, 04:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: A lot of draftniks are projecting Joe Burrow to us at the #1 overall pick. I wanted to look at the case for taking him in the most neutral (to current players) manner I could.

1) He does seem to possess skills we will need in the future at QB, such as pocket presence, football smarts (reading the defense and such) and work ethic. Mobility is good enough - not a jackrabbit but able to be mobile. He also seems to have excellent touch on his passes and ball placement is a strength.

2) In theory we would be able to save cap room because we would be putting a rookie seal salary on the rolls in exchange for a (in NFL terms) NFL veteran QB salary that is a bit under the average.

3) Possibility to generating some fan excitement for the franchise.

On the other hand, we might be well advised to redshirt Burrow if we take him until we stabilize the Offensive Line and know we have some targets for him to throw at. Now if we do invest in said issues in Free Agency and/or the Draft this situation kind of goes away.

I will say this - if we go Burrow (I was a Tua supporter until the injury) then I start to strongly consider going WR in Round 2 for a fast, tall WR whose scouting says can run proper routes and play the ball properly in the air (Tee Higgins or Laviska Shenault?).

Depends on FA but i shore up the O-line before going WR unless Green is gone. But I understand the reason for going
WR with the way AJ, Eifert and Ross cannot stay healthy. Burrow is the clear pick at 1 IMO. No brainer man. Dude reminds
me of Brady with his accuracy, poise and mental toughness.
Reply/Quote
We should take Tua if we can pick up some high picks in the draft by trading back a few spots.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 11:45 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: We should take Tua if we can pick up some high picks in the draft by trading back a few spots.

I’d literally be done with this franchise.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 11:45 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: We should take Tua if we can pick up some high picks in the draft by trading back a few spots.

As Au165 suggested in the Draft Section if you trade back you give teams a chance to jump ahead of you and take Tua.

The question is if Tua clears medicals is... Do you take Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa #1 Overall?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

No
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 11:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d literally be done with this franchise.

We're so used to picking injured guys that people think this is a good idea.

No... Just no. If they aren't taking Burrow, they'd better take a damned lineman. I know Tua was originally a higher rated prospect, but he's proven time and again he can't stay healthy... And while he'd fit right in around here in that regard, I'm cool on that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote