Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The chronic misuse of Joe Mixon
(12-11-2018, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe Mixon has 38 receptions for 283 yards and 1 TD

C McCaffrey 86 - 701 - 6
S Barkley 78 - 629 - 4
J White 76 - 674 - 6
A Kamara 70 - 591 - 4
E. Elliott 65 - 502 - 3

There are 17 RB's with more receptions than Mixon, several with 20+ more.

Over the last 8 games starting with the Steelers his touches are 15,16,24,13,15,21,14,31 (they finally figured out they should use Joe against chargers)

Throw out the 3 twenty plus touch games and he averaged 14.5 touches in the remaining 5 !!!

Fourteen touches for one of the better weapons in the NFL, it's pathetic. Mixon is a game changing type player when given the opportunity but they continue to be unable to find ways to use him.

We're 1-7 in those games

Most of those guys don't have to split time with a real pass-catching threat behind them. The Bengals have Bernard, who they view as the primary pass-catching RB. Add in Bernard's 29 receptions to Mixon's 38 and you're at 67 for a total of 463 yards, which is right up there with Zeke.
With that said, both RBs need to be utilized better/more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Most of those guys don't have to split time with a real pass-catching threat behind them. The Bengals have Bernard, who they view as the primary pass-catching RB. Add in Bernard's 29 receptions to Mixon's 38 and you're at 67 for a total of 463 yards, which is right up there with Zeke.
With that said, both RBs need to be utilized better/more.

I totally get that.....but

Gio is not the game changing threat Mixon is, if they would only use him. Gio should come in a couple times a game and spell Mixon but Mixon should have the lion's share of the touches.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 03:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I totally get that.....but

Gio is not the game changing threat Mixon is, if they would only use him. Gio should come in a couple times a game and spell Mixon but Mixon should have the lion's share of the touches.

Perhaps they should do that, but they aren't going to essentially bench the highest-paid RB on the team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin does not call the offensive plays.

I didn't say that he did. You are assuming that only the person calling plays gets to decide the make up of players on the field.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 04:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I didn't say that he did. You are assuming that only the person calling plays gets to decide the make up of players on the field.

Yes, the offensive coordinator does decide who is on the field.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 04:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps they should do that, but they aren't going to essentially bench the highest-paid RB on the team.

Gio had 27 carries and 9 catches in the two games Mixon was out.  In his other 7 games he has only 22 carries (3.1 per game) and 20 catches (2.9 per game).
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 02:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve abandoned the run several times way before it got that out of hand. Supposedly Lazor had this issue in Miami as well.

I’m just making a flip comment; ignore it. I’m frustrated with this team right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, the offensive coordinator does decide who is on the field.

Who approves the game plan? Who accepted the game plan going in? Who has clearly been in favor of a shared backfield?

Oh, Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin does not call the offensive plays.

And you know this how?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, the offensive coordinator does decide who is on the field.

Painting with a broad brush at it's finest.
Reply/Quote
Getting the ball to the outside receivers would open the game up more for Mixon and Gio.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 09:20 PM)McC Wrote: And you know this how?

Yes i do. Watch the games. Marvin does not call the plays.

What makes you think he does. It is pretty rare for the headcoach to be calling the plays.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Joe Mixon has 38 receptions for 283 yards and 1 TD

C McCaffrey 86 - 701 - 6
S Barkley 78 - 629 - 4
J White 76 - 674 - 6
A Kamara 70 - 591 - 4
E. Elliott 65 - 502 - 3

Over the last 8 games starting with the Steelers his touches are 15,16,24,13,15,21,14,31 (they finally figured out they should use Joe against chargers)

Throw out the 3 twenty plus touch games and he averaged 14.5 touches in the remaining 5 !!!

Fourteen touches for one of the better weapons in the NFL, it's pathetic. Mixon is a game changing type player when given the opportunity but they continue to be unable to find ways to use him.

We're 1-7 in those games
I know a lot of people are down on the thought that Hue will be the next Coach and he would not be my top choice. In 2010 as Oak OC he was 4 in rushing attempts and 2 in yards. 2011 HC Oak 7 in attempts and 7 in yards. 2014 Cin OC 5 in attempts and 6 in yards. 2015 Cin OC 7 in attempts and 13 in yards. His teams were also near top of league in rushing TD. I know that many would like to see a glamorous hire, but Mike like familiarity and Hue is familiar. Maybe his track record of RB use will bode well for the Bengals. I am in the camp that Mixon is our best weapon with Andy's limitations throwing the deep ball. Play action will make it much easier for Andy to have more time also.

Marvin has worn out his welcome and while Hue is not who we would all choose, at least we may not have to listen to we just need to paly better. We have some things to work on. I have not seen the tape. JUST ANSWER ONE QUESTION STRAIGHT IN A NEWS CONFERENCE! :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 02:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And he’s had less than 15 in 6 of our 8 losses. Your excuse making and spinning has been out of hand.

You have to consider that in some of those games we were down by more than 21 pts. But yeah he is under used and this offense in general has been a mess the play calling makes no since at times.
Reply/Quote

C McCaffrey 86 - 701 - 6
S Barkley 78 - 629 - 4
J White 76 - 674 - 6
A Kamara 70 - 591 - 4
E. Elliott 65 - 502 - 3

We're 1-7 in those games

Just read over the last 6 games, he has the 6th most carries in NFL.. hmm
Reply/Quote
Well it sure would've been nice to have his ass on the field when we had deja vu with Core and Tate in back to back games.

I don't often pull from the GameDay thread because of the bevy of stupid comments.

I do however find it laughable that Mixon gets on a roll aaaaaaaaaand sure enough he gets put on the sideline for Gio.

I'm not bashing on Bernard so much as saying that you stick with the hot hand.

Basics in sports 101.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

C McCaffrey 86 - 701 - 6
S Barkley 78 - 629 - 4
J White 76 - 674 - 6
A Kamara 70 - 591 - 4
E. Elliott 65 - 502 - 3

We're 1-7 in those games

Wow, great post man. He is just as good of a Receiver as any one of those Backs to boot.

Yeah, need to move on from Lazor, had hope and wanted to give the guy a shot but this is just unacceptable
with the amount of talent Mixon has. I remember at Oklahoma watching Mixon play and the announcers were
saying how he was just as much of a Receiver as a RB. You can split him out wide and he can run routes like a
Receiver with just as good of hands, difference? Harder to tackle.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, great post man. He is just as good of a Receiver as any one of those Backs to boot.

Yeah, need to move on from Lazor, had hope and wanted to give the guy a shot but this is just unacceptable
with the amount of talent Mixon has. I remember at Oklahoma watching Mixon play and the announcers were
saying how he was just as much of a Receiver as a RB. You can split him out wide and he can run routes like a

College is not Pros, I have watched Mixon run routes in Bengal games, he is not as good as most WRs... and one area that hurts him being on the field is he has not been as effective in blocking or even chipping before going out for a pass which keeps him off the field on some passing downs, last week he has a terrible chip that cost us a sack .

I stated before I believe in certain games he has been underused as a WR but not all the time..., and as i posted above we are using him well over the last 6 games in running, he is 6th in NFL in carries.  Finally I would prefer he not take himself out as much either... a trend I see too much across the league.  My man Walter Payton is rolling in his grave watching these RBs take themselves  out so much
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, great post man. He is just as good of a Receiver as any one of those Backs to boot.

Fully agree !
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: College is not Pros, I have watched Mixon run routes in Bengal games, he is not as good as most WRs... and one area that hurts him being on the field is he has not been as effective in blocking or even chipping before going out for a pass which keeps him off the field on some passing downs, last week he has a terrible chip that cost us a sack .

I stated before I believe in certain games he has been underused as a WR but not all the time..., and as i posted above we are using him well over the last 6 games in running, he is 6th in NFL in carries.  Finally I would prefer he not take himself out as much either... a trend I see too much across the league.  My man Walter Payton is rolling in his grave watching these RBs take themselves  out so much

College is not the Pros you are correct which gives him even more room to grow in these aspects.

Cannot miss those blocks that is for sure, but this is also a place where he can grow and he was the best at blitz
pickup in his draft. He will get better. Pretty amazing he has that many carries as much as we have been down
but this is another reason to use him more in the passing game, he has great hands and is harder to tackle than
the Receivers and Gio, he can run through, around or over people.

Agreed on the RB's taking them out of the game WAY too much. Don't like this either.
Reply/Quote