Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The competition with regard to the offensive line
The.Ravens probably have top 5 defense. Suggs may be 35 he didn't look it Remember how Geno didn't look right the year after he got injured. Now hes back to his dominant self. You could say the same about Suggs. Another point I would like to point out is with a younger oline it takes 4 to 6 weeks to gain cohesion. It's ok to be concerned about Offensive line. I don't believe its time to panic just yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 10:04 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The.Ravens probably have top 5 defense.  Suggs may be 35 he didn't look it  Remember how Geno didn't look right the year after he got injured. Now hes back to his dominant self. You could say the same about Suggs. Another point I would like to point out is with a younger oline it takes 4 to 6 weeks to gain cohesion. It's ok to be concerned about Offensive line. I don't believe its time to panic just yet.

I'd argue Suggs didn't look 35 because of the LT he was facing.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
There wasn't any competition for the o-line. Starting sports were just handed to Ced, Fisher and Bodine. The team is so afraid of their players fragile psyches, they fail to notice that actually having a competition for a roster spot will only make the players better.
Reply/Quote
It's definitely not an understatement that Baltimore's defense could be the toughest one we see all year. You could see the Linebackers were in Andy's throwing lanes all day, even with the pressure being put on him.

Half of Andy's interceptions on Sunday would not have happened had the Ravens not clogged the middle of the field so soundly.

When you have a weak Oline, the idea is quick slants and curl routes that take very little time and take advantage of man coverage.

Baltimore was able to stay in zone coverage while also providing a fierce pass rush.

I don't think we'll encounter that lethal combination of coverage and pressure much this year.

That gives me hope that Andy can rebound and have a solid day against Houston. They aren't nearly as good a cover team as Baltimore is. Their pass rush may be as potent, but Dalton will likely have more passes open that he can take advantage of to slow the pass rush down.

One can hope, anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 10:04 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The.Ravens probably have top 5 defense.  Suggs may be 35 he didn't look it  Remember how Geno didn't look right the year after he got injured. Now hes back to his dominant self. You could say the same about Suggs. Another point I would like to point out is with a younger oline it takes 4 to 6 weeks to gain cohesion. It's ok to be concerned about Offensive line. I don't believe its time to panic just yet.

I don't think Ravens defense is in top 10. Let's see how season plays out.

Our offense is going to make all defenses look stellar.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 10:53 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's definitely not an understatement that Baltimore's defense could be the toughest one we see all year. You could see the Linebackers were in Andy's throwing lanes all day, even with the pressure being put on him.

Half of Andy's interceptions on Sunday would not have happened had the Ravens not clogged the middle of the field so soundly.

When you have a weak Oline, the idea is quick slants and curl routes that take very little time and take advantage of man coverage.

Baltimore was able to stay in zone coverage while also providing a fierce pass rush.

I don't think we'll encounter that lethal combination of coverage and pressure much this year.

That gives me hope that Andy can rebound and have a solid day against Houston. They aren't nearly as good a cover team as Baltimore is. Their pass rush may be as potent, but Dalton will likely have more passes open that he can take advantage of to slow the pass rush down.

One can hope, anyway.

I think that the Bengals are going to see a heavy dose of pass rush and Safeties in the box, until they show that they can protect for 3 seconds, and Andy can beat them deep.  That is the only way that the short stuff will ever open up. (as far as I can foresee, anyway)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Well, Thursday night Andy is going to be facing JJ Watt, Clowney, Merciless and the others. I'd say Houston's D-line is going to look like All-Pros. Only good thing is, the Texan's Oline is as bad as ours, and our Dline should look like All-Pros as well.....
Reply/Quote

No way do the Ravens have a Top 5 defense. The Ravens 5 years ago might have.

As far as the 4-6 weeks to gain cohesion...the Vikings started 5 new lineman and played well. 5 NEW STARTERS!

The Bengals issues weren't cohesion. It's lack of talent.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 11:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that the Bengals are going to see a heavy dose of pass rush and Safeties in the box, until they show that they can protect for 3 seconds, and Andy can beat them deep.  That is the only way that the short stuff will ever open up. (as far as I can foresee, anyway)

This is where Ross comes in. He's the only WR with the potential to get open that fast besides AJ Green. Core is fast, but he takes a bit to get going (it seems anyway) and only seems to be targeted on go routes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The truth is that the most Experienced Offensive lineman we have that was also drafted at the highest portion of a Draft was not starting last week.

That lineman is Andre Smith, drafted 6th overall and 5 years younger than Whitworth.

I don't think Andre Smith has been beaten out by anyone. Instead, I think he has just been pushed aside by Paul Alexander so a younger player can be developed.

Not playing the better, more experienced player, so a youngster that Paul thinks he can mold can play.

I'm not saying that Andre is a Stud but he is head and shoulders more experienced than the guys he is watching play from the sidelines. Given his experience and girth, I think Andre would have done a better job with Suggs than Cedric did or a better job at Guard.

In no way a long term fix but Andre Smith should have been on the field in my opinion, given the options we have on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is where Ross comes in. He's the only WR with the potential to get open that fast besides AJ Green. Core is fast, but he takes a bit to get going (it seems anyway) and only seems to be targeted on go routes.

As limiting as it is for play calling, they just might have to resort to going with a 6 man OL.  Similar to what they did in '09, when they used Roland as the "TE".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cedric Ogbuehi might be best used at RG, which was a position he played well at Texas A&M.
He has clearly struggled sticking with rushers on the outside, so his best usage might be in more confined quarters.

If the season falls through, I'd like to see Andre Smith at LT and Ogbuehi moved to RG in hopes of finding some spot he may be halfway decent at.

If that ends up working out and Fisher pans out at RT, the Bengals might only have to look for a new LT and C in the draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As limiting as it is for play calling, they just might have to resort to going with a 6 man OL.  Similar to what they did in '09, when they used Roland as the "TE".

They might, or use Kroft or Hewitt more often as a blocking TE.

Unfortunately, that would mean taking a weapon off the field, but if it results in more positive plays overall, I'm for it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 11:03 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I don't think Ravens defense is in top 10. Let's see how season plays out.

Our offense is going to make all defenses look stellar.

I dont either. We got our a*^'s handed to us by a very poor Ravens team. Just watch this season, the Ravens are pretty bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 01:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They might, or use Kroft or Hewitt more often as a blocking TE.

Unfortunately, that would mean taking a weapon off the field, but if it results in more positive plays overall, I'm for it.

You know, with our speed at WR and RB...4 weapons might be enough.

The problem is Ced isn't the only bad lineman we have.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know, with our speed at WR and RB...4 weapons might be enough.

The problem is Ced isn't the only bad lineman we have.

Right. If the season gets away, I'm rolling with the following line:
Smith-Boling-Johnson-Ogbuehi-Fisher

The Bengals need a better option at C obviously, and Johnson wasn't too bad playing there in the past. He needs more reps, and I imagine the Bengals would like a center with more experience with Bodine hitting FA. I'd also like to see Smith at LT because he might be a good stopgap while a new first-round OT is groomed next year. And Ogbuehi's best usage at Texas A&M was at RG, and that might be his best fit in the NFL. Gotta see if there's some position he can play decently well before dumping him I guess.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Why not sign Mangold?
Reply/Quote
IF we lose to the Texans...we likely lose to the Packers...and I don't see us finishing 10-3 or 9-4 which is the minimum it would take us to make the playoffs...so this next game is our season basically.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why not sign Mangold?

Mangold might have been a feasible option at the beginning of the season, but it wouldn't be worth signing him if the season's already lost. Besides, the Bengals are (stupidly) satisfied with their options at C already on the roster. They are more concerned with the three new starters on the OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
How are there people that think the ravens defense isn't going to be AT THE LEAST a top 10 unit?
Reply/Quote