Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consequences of jail over treatment
(09-04-2017, 10:53 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Well, the next time your daughter gets strep throat have her dig a 6' x 6' x 6' hole in the back yard so she can focus on something else other than her medical treatment.

Is strep throat an addiction?

Once again you jump the shark. You just make yourself look petty and foolish. Have a little self respect.
(09-04-2017, 01:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is strep throat an addiction?

Once again you jump the shark. You just make yourself look petty and foolish. Have a little self respect.

Strep throat is a medical condition that requires medical treatment. Addiction is the same.

Hard labor as part of the medical treatment for addiction is just as silly as hard labor as part of the medical treatment for strep throat. Not only is it not indicated, it could precipitate a potentially life threatening condition. Not only are you potentially putting a life at risk, but you are jeopardizing the careers of the correction officers supervising the work details and the medical providers involved in the rehab treatment. It's just an awful idea that apparently only Communist China has adopted and everything you've written to justify it is pure fabrication.
[Image: 240M6Ky.png]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-04-2017, 02:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: 240M6Ky.png]

I love that episode.
(09-04-2017, 02:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Strep throat is a medical condition that requires medical treatment. Addiction is the same.

Hard labor as part of the medical treatment for addiction is just as silly as hard labor as part of the medical treatment for strep throat. Not only is it not indicated, it could precipitate a potentially life threatening condition. Not only are you potentially putting a life at risk, but you are jeopardizing the careers of the correction officers supervising the work details and the medical providers involved in the rehab treatment. It's just an awful idea that apparently only Communist China has adopted and everything you've written to justify it is pure fabrication.

What if we don't call it hard labor, or labor at all.  I would think that after a proper time for weaning the person off physically and feeding them regularly, building them up to some sort of strenuous exercise would be very beneficial.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-06-2017, 01:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What if we don't call it hard labor, or labor at all.  I would think that after a proper time for weaning the person off physically and feeding them regularly, building them up to some sort of strenuous exercise would be very beneficial.  

That's not what our resident agent provocateur is suggesting. Plus there is a difference between a physical exercise program and 10 hours per day of hard labor. Most of the addicts I've encountered in my line of work have been in poor physical health. Some have almost died due to complications from their addiction. They weren't doing hard labor. When a person starts rehab there is the potential there health will worsen before it improves. I live in Georgia and we do have prison work details. It wouldn't be a very wise idea to have an addict going through rehab working 10 hours of hard labor a day in the Georgia heat. It's a good way to cause a hypertensive emergency which could kill someone. Then there would be a wrongful death lawsuit and the correction officers and the medical providers associated with the death would have their careers put in jeopardy.

Rehab is supposed to be therapeutic. Hard labor related to prison is supposed to be punitive. By combining the two we would make the therapeutic part punitive in nature which would result in another barrier to getting these people help which is at the heart of Matt's topic: as a society, how do we help these people? Most people only think about how they don't want their tax money wasted on these people who have made bad decisions without considering the potential cost savings of getting these people off of drugs. However, as usual Lucie has steered the conversation away from Matt's intent and set a course for crazy town.
Opiate withdrawal sucks, believe me, I know. After 11 and a half years of taking pain medication as directed by my doctor, I wanted to try and see if I could go without them. Needless to say that I failed, not because of an addiction to opiates but because I am dependent on them to live.

I went through withdrawal, had all the symptoms from restless leg syndrome to insomnia to diarrhea that lasted for 7 days! That crap is real and it sucks. After about 14 days, my body was back to normal and to my surprise, I didn't crave my pain medication.

But, the constant pain I suffer from the auto accident is real and my quality of life just dropped. I had to force myself out of bed.

At least I now know that I need these pills to live and I was able to revaluate my pain levels.

Hard labor will kill people. They need to be in a hospital for treatment.