Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The death of comedy
There are plenty of things that are funny without being harmful and hateful . The comedians whose stock and trade are all about being blatantly insultive and hateful generally don't last long anyway .
Being funny really is very subjective . What you might think is funny isn't necessarily funny to anyone else  and the whole concept of PCness isn't very well understood by most people and has very little to do with comedy although a lot of people think it does.. The idea of political correctness has been around for much longer than any of us have and has only been used in such derogatory terms in the past few decades .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 08:35 AM)McC Wrote: It even goes beyond the death of comedy.  It's the death of all things creative.  If it wasn't for comic books and fifty year old tv shows, Hollywood couldn't even make a movie.

I thought this was what the subject of the thread was going to be about.

Creativeness in comedy and other genres of movies is severely lacking.

I'm not easily offended at all but this over-the-top raunchiness to get a laugh is getting old real fast.

Why can't anyone think of something comical without it anymore?

True comedy is pretty much dead in the water in terms of film.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nick Swordson.

I thought it was Anthony Jeselnik.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 12:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think that was Daniel Tosh. Dude is hilarious and doesn't give a damn about being PC. His whole act would probably be considered too unPC by people.

(07-27-2018, 01:26 PM)Benton Wrote: A lot of it depends on the setting. 20ish years ago when I had free time, I worked with a local agency that works with the mentally handicapped. I get onto my son (and his friends) when he refers to someone as a ****** (although I don't have a real issue with "that's ********".) 

But in a comedy act? That's pretty much fair game. If people are offended, don't go to his show. There's non-offensive options out there.

(07-27-2018, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nick Swordson.

(07-29-2018, 10:06 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I thought it was Anthony Jeselnik.
Yeah I've been working a lot lately and haven't looked it up.  But I agree comedy does take swipes at people and even groups of people. When it comes to comedy...everything is on the table (at least it should be IMO).  Watched Bruce Willis's "Roast" on Comedy Central last night and it had it all White, Black, Female, Male, Jewish...all comedians, plus Demi Moore and Martha Stewart and hilarious watching them insult each other.  And in the end one of the comedian thanked Bruce (he got some digs in as well) for being such a good sport and said " hope nothing but the best for you, in health and happiness and I can't wait to see the next 'Die Hard...Natural Causes" Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Actually I think you are correct.

Jeselnik is a great example of a guy who uses shocking subject matter and language, but is very, very clever.  
Reply/Quote

He's got all the likeability of a hitler youth.     -amy shumer-
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 02:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: He's got all the likeability of a hitler youth.     -amy shumer-

Shes about as funny as a trashbag full of puppies in a lake.
Reply/Quote
I saw an interview with Jerry Seinfeld saying that he quit college campuses too, and that comedians are losing gigs basically because people get mad about their feelings being hurt instead of just going abot their business and not watching. If I were a stand up comedian, I would go to smaller town America and do less in the larger cities and no colleges at all. Those dudes all still have a market, but its not where it used to be. Much of middle America would eat it up in my opinion.
Reply/Quote