Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The difference in Andy Dalton
I think the biggest difference is that our pass protection is actually holding up so far this year. That's and having healthy targets are all Andy needs to succeed. That's not asking for much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 05:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I might start changing my mind after seeing prime time performance and playoffs this year. He fools us fans every year with 2,3,4 great games in a row and then bad Andy. So, great start this year, I still need to see more.

I would be surprised if you don't see what you want to see.

He looks very different to me, more confident, calling the calls at the line, precision passing, comfortable, nice pocket awareness...

This is HIS team.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:06 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Felt this warranted it's own thread - mainly because it's the deepest dive into trying to figure out what is exactly different about Andy Dalton in 2015.

I'm there every day - and every day these guys say ... "he's different." And Andy will tell you it's because he's comfortable, which breeds confidence. We try to illustrate that.

Some absolutely great quotes from Adam Jones, Ken Zampese, Mo Sanu, Hue Jackson and Andy himself ... including a statement about his career goals I don't know if too many people have seen.

“Andy knows what we need to do and what we’ve got to do to get over the hump."

Take a read and as always, I appreciate any separate Twitter or Facebook shares on your own.

Also - so much good stuff didn't get in - so if you all have any questions on this, hit me up below, too. Home game weekend so I've got some more time on my hands the next couple days.

I do agree that he looks different this year. He's looks more certain in the pocket and the game seems to have slowed down for him. He's managing the game noticeably better. The top QBs are all good game managers on top of their other talents and this is one thing that he seemed to be hit or miss on in the past. I'm very happy to see him doing well.

I'm under no illusion that he's an elite QB cause he's not and he doesn't need to be to take this team to the SB. The eliteness is more in the talent around him from the OL to Green and there are some youngsters coming along who can be elite at their positions in a couple of years (that being Eifert and Hill).

Flacco has a SB, Eli has two, but neither are mentioned in anyone's top 5 QBs list.

Reply/Quote
I think the whole team looks better. Andy's a big part of that. No doubt.

Win the next game. That's all I really care about. Every game is HUGE.

I'm loving this team right now. WHO DEY!!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 03:06 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Felt this warranted it's own thread - mainly because it's the deepest dive into trying to figure out what is exactly different about Andy Dalton in 2015.

I'm there every day - and every day these guys say ... "he's different." And Andy will tell you it's because he's comfortable, which breeds confidence. We try to illustrate that.

Some absolutely great quotes from Adam Jones, Ken Zampese, Mo Sanu, Hue Jackson and Andy himself ... including a statement about his career goals I don't know if too many people have seen.

Take a read and as always, I appreciate any separate Twitter or Facebook shares on your own.

Also - so much good stuff didn't get in - so if you all have any questions on this, hit me up below, too. Home game weekend so I've got some more time on my hands the next couple days.

You tell me this and I begin to wonder. Is Santa real? Are the fallen eye lashes on my cheek going grant me the lottery. Hopes and dreams is all. But yet I see what you are talking about. If this continues with the Seahawks, Steelers  and Cardinals(football heaven apparently) I will be convinced. He has done good the first couple games for years but yet always fails soon or later. This is the year for him if any.Love the topic!
Reply/Quote
I think he has more confidence. His throwing motion looks a bit tighter and his foot work is much improved. That, and he keeps his eyes down field a lot. I don't see him stare down receivers as much. A lot of reasons to be optimistic about his play this year. I hope it continues.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of people talking about our weapons. While we smare loaded its not just them. How can people not see how he is readiing defenses? He is dropping good balls that he usually over throws. He is making good decisions and the biggest factor is his pocket presence. Dude is different.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 01:32 AM)Bengal Jells Wrote: I see a lot of people talking about our weapons. While we smare loaded its not just them. How can people not see how he is readiing defenses? He is dropping good balls that he usually over throws. He is making good decisions  and the biggest factor is his pocket presence. Dude is different.

I tend to agree, but even all of those observations could still be stated instead of "dude is different" as "dude has been different these 3 games".  I am drinking the kool-aid right with you, but we can't blame the fans wanting to see it last longer before taking a swig.  Yes there are a lot of observable differences so let's hope that also means they are relatively permanent.  
Reply/Quote
The biggest difference with Dalton is his pocket presence. He's been able to make all of these throws before, but he's doing it more often because he's became better in the pocket. He is stepping up in the pocket and buying himself more time.
Reply/Quote

I think the difference is definitely confidence.  He had a sack/fumble and an interception against Baltimore.  In the past, that would have basically ended his day. and more mistakes would follow.  But instead he responded with some great plays and we won.  He has done something to work on his mental approach to the game IMO.  
Reply/Quote
I believe Dalton has the tools to win in the playoffs and eagerly await his next opportunity. Still, I can't help but view all of the "he's different!" dialogue as meaningless fluff.
Reply/Quote
Andy's confidence has never been in question. The difference this season is comfort and the fact that Eifert, Jones and the dynamic duo RB's are all on the field together for the first time. If you're questioning his confidence, it's in the players surrounding him, not in himself. It's evident because he isn't seeking AJ on every throw.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see how we bounce back from a bad game or a loss (assuming we do lose this year...which hey, who knows, maybe we make history). Confidence is easy when things are going well. When they go badly though, you need a selective memory. You've got remember the confidence from the good times, while still learning from what went wrong during the bad.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 01:46 AM)Psycholomonkey Wrote: I tend to agree, but even all of those observations could still be stated instead of "dude is different" as "dude has been different these 3 games".  I am drinking the kool-aid right with you, but we can't blame the fans wanting to see it last longer before taking a swig.  Yes there are a lot of observable differences so let's hope that also means they are relatively permanent.  

I understand fans wanting to see great performances every week.

However, no QB (not elite) will put up great numbers every week. There are also elite defenses each week and offensive game plans that factor into the equation.

My point is few QB's pull off an 85+ QBR each week for many reasons, I hope our fans are realistic and knowledgeable of their expectations.

I also hope the first game we lose we evaluate the team performance and just the QB focus. Yes, the QB is a huge part, but so are our defense and special teams performances. I hope they remember the offense overcame or defense giving up two 4th quarter leads last week and our offense stepped it up. It is a team game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 01:48 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The biggest difference with Dalton is his pocket presence. He's been able to make all of these throws before, but he's doing it more often because he's became better in the pocket. He is stepping up in the pocket and buying himself more time.

This.  Plus, the couple nice throws he's made for big plays out of the pocket, which he has struggled with in the past.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 01:48 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The biggest difference with Dalton is his pocket presence. He's been able to make all of these throws before, but he's doing it more often because he's became better in the pocket. He is stepping up in the pocket and buying himself more time.

He's always been solid with a clean pocket.  He makes his reads so quick and gets rid of the ball so quickly he sometimes masks the poor protection (making them look better, statistically, than they really are IMO).

I just don't buy the "all of a sudden AD's different" mentality.  He's always been good but there's been a number of factors that have impacted his ability to take the next step, like different offensive schemes/coordinators, losing key players around him, youth at the center position, etc., etc.

Historically year 5 is  the year you see some QB's make big strides.  Can't underestimate "maturity".  Not only from a football intelligence aspect but also a locker room aspect.  Dalton just doesn't have that outgoing personality so I'm sure it has taken him a very long time to truly feel he is "the man" within the locker room.  Time takes care of this because of the NFL turnover, most of that locker room is now more youthful than he is, so by nature there's a comfort.

Just my thoughts anyway....
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 08:26 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think the difference is definitely confidence.  He had a sack/fumble and an interception against Baltimore.  In the past, that would have basically ended his day. and more mistakes would follow.  But instead he responded with some great plays and we won.  He has done something to work on his mental approach to the game IMO.  

This implies that this was his fault.  Not convinced that is true.  That sack was on really on the coaches -- expecting Eifert to block a top-tier pass rusher.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Let's just hope all our WRs and Eifert stay healthy. Teams will think twice "challenging" Dalton to throw the ball. It helps to have a strong and consistent run game, so I hope Hill returns to form with Gio still throwing up the numbers he does.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Things I notice and comment on a lot when I see it. It seems like his passes are tighter if that makes sense. He's not throwing it away as much but at the same time he's not putting balls into bad areas. He's making a lot of passes that only our guys can catch and that takes accuracy. His accuracy has improved.

But the 2 best things is seen in these 3 games are his pocket presence and his accuracy against the blitz. Before I just expected a throw away or a sack if the other team sent an all out blitz or broke down our o line. Now he's somehow gotten better at reading and reacting to blitzes so at this point I'm comfortable saying that I DARE a team to try and blitz Dalton to death. He's killing teams now
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2015, 10:01 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Andy's confidence has never been in question. The difference this season is comfort and the fact that Eifert, Jones and the dynamic duo RB's are all on the field together for the first time. If you're questioning his confidence, it's in the players surrounding him, not in himself. It's evident because he isn't seeking AJ on every throw.

I disagree. By the end of last season his confidence was shot. It was even evident in the Pro Bowl.
Reply/Quote