Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Suddenly Thin at DB
(04-05-2020, 01:41 AM)McC Wrote: Dumb or unrealistic?

Haha... The beauty of life lies in the grey area in between.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I took Golf as a P.E, elective just for fun.  The instructor was Coach Lawhorn, the head basketball coach.  He told me right then and there, after watching one swing;  You're a big, strong guy, but in Golf you'll need to just relax and be fluid.  I also read up and learned that the large upper body muscles of athletes from other sports inhibits range of motion and retards the ability to swing smoothly and naturally.  So, your experiment with training upper body seems to confirm what I read.

So, now that we've totally taken the thread off the rails, Cheers!  The Bengals will be perfectly fine at DB.

I'm not buying into the bolded part. Sure, relaxation and fluidity is key, but large upper body muscles do not inhibit range of motion as long as they are properly stretched as part of a workout. Look at Tiger in his prime, he was pretty jacked when he was outdistancing most courses. On a more realistic level, I used to golf regularly with some AHL Hockey players when Lexington had the Thoroughblades.  Wanna see someone just crush a ball, play golf with a hockey player. And these guys were put together.  One of the cops I worked with in Lexington was a body builder, who was jacked, and drove it well over 320. Meanwhile, my normal "in shape", but not huge, frame was happy with a drive of 270. It's all about stretching them out while you build them.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 12:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Since my sport is golf I just do lots of cardio and lifting to keep my legs strong.  Years ago when I was playing competitively I fell for the old “strength = speed” argument and started lifting with my upper body too and I LOST distance!  Adding muscle mass to my upper body was counterproductive to my swing.  Now I just use light weights with lots of reps to keep my core toned and much of my distance has returned.

This takes an ego check in the gym.  While most guys are on the bench press lifting astronomically huge weights, I’ll get on there and maybe lift 75 pounds — but I’ll do three or four sets of twelve reps.  On the leg press I’ll lift all I can but for upper body exercises I stick to light weights with lots of reps.

So, the anti-prison body then..... Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 01:41 AM)McC Wrote: Dumb or unrealistic?

The key part is that he was suggesting it at the beginning of Thomas' rookie campaign.  Hell, the season might not have even started yet.  Could've been preseason game 3 or 4 when he brought it up...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 03:12 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Leonardo, michaelangelo, raphael, or Donatello?

The one that liked pizza.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 08:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The one that liked pizza.

That narrows it down.  None
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote