Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference with this Free agent haul
We have all seen the Redskins and others in the league spend a lot of money in free agency without success. The Bengals seem to be spending on guys that are entering their prime, rather than spending on huge named guys that could have a few good years left. Namely Bell and Reader.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:29 PM)WhoDey Wrote:  The Bengals seem to be spending on guys that are entering their prime, rather than spending on huge named guys that could have a few good years left. 

Except for the $19 million we guaranteed to a 32-year-old WR who has not played in two years.
Reply/Quote
Yeah its great to see us move away from the 50yr old AJ Hawks of the world. But to add another angle, its like they have a legit plan. They are geting guys in their primes, who also directly address big weaknesses, and they are doing it right. We are in the AFCN, we need to be able to stop the run, period. Every D player we have signed thrives in stopping the run. I love this and think its a great way to build a defense in this division. Start up front in the middle (Reader), and go from there.
Reply/Quote
I like that the Bengals didn't splurge on players who were big names, but maybe past their prime. Instead, there seemed to be a coherent plan with the type of player signed.

Who Dey!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My only concern is with the 1 year contract we gave to M. Alexander I wish it had also been a 3 year deal. He's still young and very talented at what he does. Maybe they see Phillips moving into his role, but I think it would be best to have 3-4 top-shelf CBs around for a few years.

Add to this concern the fact that this might be Wm Jackson III's last year with us. If we can't don't pay him, we might be drafting a CB in the first round again next year.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except for the $19 million we guaranteed to a 32-year-old WR who has not played in two years.

I'll make the assumption that the OP was talking about external free agents, as paying older internal players ins't all that unusual with the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except for the $19 million we guaranteed to a 32-year-old WR who has not played in two years.

That 32 year old WR is a generational talent.
Reply/Quote
The other thing I appreciate is that they're not overpaying for the top names at the position, who are most likely to bust. Instead, they're signing solid young starters to reasonable contracts that represent upgrades over what we currently have. Much needed, to be sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That 32 year old WR is a generational talent.

Is he really? I'm not sold on that. We hear it a lot around here but I'm more on the he's a great player when healthy side. Saying generational player is a bit much for a player that is often inured lately and tends to disappear or lose focus on catches in big games. Just my 2 cents.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That 32 year old WR is a generational talent.

He was....we have no idea what his is now.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:23 PM)R3stangs Wrote: He was....we have no idea what his is now.

When AJ started light practice again, the players and coaches were raving about how amazing he looked. I have no doubt he couldve played last season, but by the time he could, what was the point? AJ is going to be very healthy and hungry this coming season. He's far from done yet. Its not like he blew out his knees. None of his injuries have been remotely close to that. Whether he does in fact play here, or they deal him to another team, I expect this borderline HOF WR to have a big season.
Reply/Quote

First, Green is not a "generational" talent (never finished higher than 5th in receptions, yards, or tds.)

Calvin Johnson WAS a "generational" talent.  How many receptions did he have when he was 32?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:29 PM)WhoDey Wrote: We have all seen the Redskins and others in the league spend a lot of money in free agency without success. The Bengals seem to be spending on guys that are entering their prime, rather than spending on huge named guys that could have a few good years left. Namely Bell and Reader.

Plus, we didn't overpay for any of them. Good deals for both sides for what said player will bring to the team.
Reply/Quote
Actually we did "overpay" (a meaningless term) for Reader but by doing so we served notice that we were willing to pay to get better players. And that helped us with subsequent contracts.

As to this haul, they are younger players entering or about to enter their primes. Also, there is clearly a plan in operation here and line one on it seems to be "fix the bad tackling" and line two is "improve run defense". Even our new Guard is suggestive of a plan - he has played well in a zone blocking scheme which suggests they still want to use that scheme but now recognize they have to have the correct players to implement it.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First, Green is not a "generational" talent (never finished higher than 5th in receptions, yards, or tds.)

Calvin Johnson WAS a "generational" talent.  How many receptions did he have when he was 32?

Fred on a buzzkill mission.  God forbid a Bengal fan should ever feel good about anything.  The cure is Fred around running from thread to thread intent on wiping smiles off faces of Bengal fans everywhere.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually we did "overpay" (a meaningless term) for Reader but by doing so we served notice that we were willing to pay to get better players. And that helped us with subsequent contracts.

As to this haul, they are younger players entering or about to enter their primes. Also, there is clearly a plan in operation here and line one on it seems to be "fix the bad tackling" and line two is "improve run defense". Even our new Guard is suggestive of a plan - he has played well in a zone blocking scheme which suggests they still want to use that scheme but now recognize they have to have the correct players to implement it.

Yeah, I guess they overpaid for Reader, but happy they did.

Great point on XSF, they brought in a Guard that fits which is something we just weren't doing in the past on the OL.

They got a plan and they are sticking to it. Stop the run, run the ball, protect the QB.
Reply/Quote

Was that not the smart move for one year?  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Was that not the smart move for one year?  

It would be stupid to have let AJ test the market especially after Burrow said he wants him here.

Fred is just trying to bring everybody down today for some odd reason. Ignore him.

Plus it is 18 mil, not 19 and we can negotiate a deal later that is more team friendly.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:27 PM)bengaloo Wrote: When AJ started light practice again, the players and coaches were raving about how amazing he looked. I have no doubt he couldve played last season, but by the time he could, what was the point? AJ is going to be very healthy and hungry this coming season. He's far from done yet. Its not like he blew out his knees. None of his injuries have been remotely close to that. Whether he does in fact play here, or they deal him to another team, I expect this borderline HOF WR to have a big season.

No way of knowing that. And if he could've played the point would have been that everyone could see he was healthy and he may have had a chance at that longer term contract he wanted.
Reply/Quote

you're so witty

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote