Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The double standard....
(01-14-2017, 01:20 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Very good points indeed

1.College success does not always mean NFL success ( trent richardson,tim tebow,johnny manziel, etc )

2.I thought Ced recently went on injured reserve ( I could be mistaken )

1. I'm pretty sure he allowed like 6 sacks or something in his last year of college.

2. Yeah, he had a partially torn rotator cuff that needed surgery. So he's going to show up hurt-ish for training camp most likely, or at least not any stronger.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 12:35 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I still think it is the injury and is a future LT...I personally take Cam Robinson at 9 and plug him in at RT...Re-sign Whit for 2 years re-sign Zeitler....Draft Eiflin in the 2nd....and see where we stand after 2 years....Team after team prove that a dominant OL wins games in the NFL...Look at the Cowboys after just a couple smart drafts...I believe that our defense was playing pretty good at the end of the year and most of them are back and also having WJII, Billings, Hardison coming back for competition...I believe that you upgrade immediately at OL and this team is much much better in 2017

This is probably the least sexy, but best overall team option.  I can't help but think that Fisher has earned the spot at RT.  What if you get Elflein in the second (likely high second through the AJM trade, thanks Burma) but used that first rounder on the plug-and-play RDE spot.  It seems almost certain that Derek Barnett would be there.  The defense has done well, but STILL can't do anything against a team that goes maximum protection.  They need guys that can get after the QB.  

If Whit is re-signed, and you have Fisher for RT, a third rounder could be used to develop as the replacement for Whit as a backup plan to Ced remaining a turd.  

For the OP, you have certainly painted a very realistic portrait of the lack of patience from this fan base.  I don't think it is just Ced, but the fact that it was Dre, then Dennard, then WJII, that have done nothing as rookies...fair or unfair, injuries notwithstanding, this fanbase is sick of first rounders not contributing at all.  It is more just human nature.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 07:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don't buy the sit guys for a year bs. If you draft a weak minded individual and start them right away and they struggle yes you may permanently damage their psyche and career. But if a guy is that weak minded even if he sits a year he will still be damaged if he sucks.

With the newer restrictions on practice there is no experience like real game experience. If you want a guy to get better you have to play him.

A lot of early round OL picks have struggled lately. Ogbuehi isn't alone. He could still get better. But they guys he couldn't beat out in college to be a starting tackle suck in the NFL and after two years he looks like he could be in the same boat.

The problem is our coaches. Did Burkhead magically get better in the last month of his 4th year in the league. Or was that our ******* coaches failing to play somebody? I'm going to go with ******* coaches.

For some reason Marvin lets Paul Alexander start whoever he wants. Everybody else has to "earn the opportunity" but if you are a Paul Alexander heart throb you can be plugged right in. Bodine was just handed the job. We let Andre walk and plugged Ogbuehi in at RT when Ogbuehi says it isn't even his position. Our OL sucked all year. Yet we deactivated Westerman for every game but 1 I think. While we continued to play Boling with a bad shoulder. Winston who blows, and Bodine. Westerman did not get better sitting and watching the same way Ogbuehi didn't get better after we wasted his rookie year.

Fej made play after play after play when he got like 10 snaps earlier in the year. One would think that could "earn the opportunity" to see some more playing time, but no, not on a Marvin Lewis team.

So true, this is the double standard.

PA can shit can our entire season and isn't held accountable.

Where else would this happen?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 07:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Fej made play after play after play when he got like 10 snaps earlier in the year. One would think that could "earn the opportunity" to see some more playing time, but no, not on a Marvin Lewis team.

I just wanted to add to this thought...

I wonder if Fej was one of those guys Guenther might have been thinking of playing when Lewis publicly shut him down?

This team was tackling like straight up buffoons and taking bad angles for a few games.  Basic fundamentals were lost.

So Paulie starts spouting off about players who think they deserve to start because of tenure, who might want to think again.

It does makes you wonder if he was fed up because some others were not being lazy and showing their skills.

Only to be coerced by Marvin to not take action on those astute evaluations.

For a moment let's all pretend that Lewis is some kind of mastermind and he just didn't want Paulie to tip his hand.

Okay...   Hilarious    
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't blame the coaches for starting Ogbuehi. He was destined for that job the moment he was drafted. It was the "plan".

I DO blame them for DRAFTING him. It was an arrogant selection that indicated that they believed there was nobody that could help the team that year available where they drafted in 1. Bullshit. It was selecting a player built nothing like a Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle. If not for this stupid, smug pick we could be looking at Landon Collins at safety or a real talent like Shane Ray ready to rise up the depth chart and take snaps from a declining MJ. Instead we now have holes at all 3 spots plus a turd project in Ogbuehi that they'll no doubt keep pimping until his contract expires.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 07:12 PM)Derrick Wrote: This does not equal a good 1st round draft pick.  DUH?

See, while I've also thought that for a long time, I'm starting to think differently. More and more, we're seeing drafted players not really playing well until their third or fourth season (regardless of round drafted). I'll give Ogbuehi and Fisher one more season to show something before I write them off.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote