Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The draft and the offensive line
I am perplexed at the mock drafts and players being selected at 28. The reason? Everyone on these boards have done nothing but complain about this OL for many many years (rightfully so). If the opportunity to draft a RT at 28 and have them along with OBJr at LT for at least the next 4 years and we pass on that option....I would lose my mind.

We have no need for a TE in the first round....we have no need for a RB in the first round. Our focus should be to finally solidify this OL issue once and for all. I am even for moving up a few spots if one of the top 2 or 3 RTs are in range. Pull the trigger and get it done and fix our most glaring need over multiple seasons. Keep Joe upright with more than 2.5 seconds and the skill players will get their dues very easily and much more.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:38 AM)spazz70 Wrote: I am perplexed at the mock drafts and players being selected at 28. The reason? Everyone on these boards have done nothing but complain about this OL for many many years (rightfully so). If the opportunity to draft a RT at 28 and have them along with OBJr at LT for at least the next 4 years and we pass on that option....I would lose my mind.

We have no need for a TE in the first round....we have no need for a RB in the first round. Our focus should be to finally solidify this OL issue once and for all. I am even for moving up a few spots if one of the top 2 or 3 RTs are in range. Pull the trigger and get it done and fix our most glaring need over multiple seasons. Keep Joe upright with more than 2.5 seconds and the skill players will get their dues very easily and much more.

A DL or CB makes a lot of sense here, IMO. OL is mostly set for at least 2 more years. A RT may not even make an impact in 2023 with Jonah, Collins and potentially carman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:38 AM)spazz70 Wrote: I am perplexed at the mock drafts and players being selected at 28.  The reason?  Everyone on these boards have done nothing but complain about this OL for many many years (rightfully so).  If the opportunity to draft a RT at 28 and have them along with OBJr at LT for at least the next 4 years and we pass on that option....I would lose my mind.  

We have no need for a TE in the first round....we have no need for a RB in the first round.  Our focus should be to finally solidify this OL issue once and for all.  I am even for moving up a few spots if one of the top 2 or 3 RTs are in range.  Pull the trigger and get it done and fix our most glaring need over multiple seasons.  Keep Joe upright with more than 2.5 seconds and the skill players will get their dues very easily and much more.

We can find a lineman in later rounds or free agency but there's no game changers at tackle like there is at tight end.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 01:20 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: We can find a lineman in later rounds or free agency but there's no game changers at tackle like there is at tight end.

No TE is going to be a game changer in our offense...Joe doesn't target them 1st like KC and others....  late round OL...LOL, good luck, what we have been hoping for 10 years....FA, already made our splash for a few years...OBJr....fix the line for years please.
Reply/Quote
Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones would make me happy.  I think I'd actually prefer either over one of the top 2 TEs tbh.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 03:49 AM)spazz70 Wrote: No TE is going to be a game changer in our offense...Joe doesn't target them 1st like KC and others....  late round OL...LOL, good luck, what we have been hoping for 10 years....FA, already made our splash for a few years...OBJr....fix the line for years please.

We’ve never had a tight end like we can get in the first round this year and Joe had never targeted one too much because he’s never had the type of talent that’s in this year’s draft.

And I said later round but I meant after the first.
Reply/Quote
Darnell Wright is probably at the top of their board at #28. There will probably be only a few players available that could move them off Wright.

But after if Darnell Wright is gone there are alot more question marks with the next 3 tackles. So I can see them going TE CB or DL eith #28 instead of reaching for a tackle (like they did Billy Price).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Am fine if the Bengals go OL in first if the right guy is there. The problem with picking 28th is not knowing who will fall. Personally don't see the rest of the league letting a great OT without question marks to fall that far, but who knows. Plus not sure if the Bengals see it as a need.

Think everyone is happy presently with Cappa, Karras, and Brown. Seems the Bengals and many others are happy with Volson. My verdict is still out on him but think he may be much improved in 2nd season from natural growth and playing next to Brown. Not positive but think the Bengals are sold so I don't even factor it into the draft equation. Like him and am rooting for him. But if LG can be upgraded am fine with doing so as well, yet don't see this happening.

That leaves the RT spot where they have Jonah, Carman, and Collins if Jonah is not moved, then this is promising on paper. Yet hope Bengals definitely trade Jonah for draft pick which should open up all options for Bengals in the draft getting an extra 2nd or 3rd round selection.

But if not traded thinking the Bengals are thinking the trio of Jonah, Carman, and Collins will work out at RT. Guess even Ford can be added into this mix as well.

But I'm all for putting the best OL in front of Burrow that is possible. But taking Chase over a OT put the Bengals in the SB when the OL was in way worse shape. Wanted Sewell then but accepted that Chase was a freak and Joe's boy so he was worth rolling the dice on. Yet was in the draft Sewell camp

Think at #28 the Bengals and us fans really just need to see who falls and many including me are mocking Washington as the TE, who is a great blocker as well and helps the OL.
Think he will be available and why I lean that way over Wright who I see being gone but will not complain if he falls to the Bengals.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Believe it all hinges on what the coaches think of Carman. If they have their doubts they will definitely go RT, whether that is in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round depends on how the chips fall in the draft. If Wright is gone and they see the next 4 as being a coin flip then they may wait until the 2nd round.

If Wright is there they will probably pounce. Doubting Wright falls though, 75% of the so called expert mocks have him being taken in the top 20 picks

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:38 AM)spazz70 Wrote: I am perplexed at the mock drafts and players being selected at 28.  The reason?  Everyone on these boards have done nothing but complain about this OL for many many years (rightfully so).  If the opportunity to draft a RT at 28 and have them along with OBJr at LT for at least the next 4 years and we pass on that option....I would lose my mind.  

We have no need for a TE in the first round....we have no need for a RB in the first round.  Our focus should be to finally solidify this OL issue once and for all.  I am even for moving up a few spots if one of the top 2 or 3 RTs are in range.  Pull the trigger and get it done and fix our most glaring need over multiple seasons.  Keep Joe upright with more than 2.5 seconds and the skill players will get their dues very easily and much more.

I understand Spazz, I think most are going off of what is likely to happen, plus we have been pretty bad at drafting OL as well.

Darnell Wright is who I want for RT, but he most likely won't be there at 28 from what we are seeing. We have met with all the top TE's
in this class which makes me think we are going to take one. This isn't my preference, it is what I see happening putting two and two 
together. Would be all for trading up and selecting Darnell Wright or staying pat and selecting Anton Harrison.

DaWand Jones didn't weigh in at his Pro-Day so his weight might be a concern, don't like that in the first. Bergeron I like in the run 
game, but he has some problems in pass pro etc. Have to take the BPA at a position of need. Corner, Tackle, TE, RB, 3-tech, Edge, I 
don't care as long as we aren't reaching terribly, I am fine with it.
Reply/Quote
Last 5 years: OL drafted in rounds 1-4:
1st: JWilliams, BPrice
2nd: JCarman
3rd: -none-
4th: CVolson, DSmith, MJordan
Horrible track record.. The only good player so far was picked Round 1 with the 11th pick. And even he has been replaced. I don't want to give up trying, but right now I have no confidence in picking a OT who will contribute this (or next) year. Bengals are in win now mode. O'Cyrus Torrence is project to be a starter, but not a star, so a bit of a reach for round 1. Bengals have put themselves in a good position to take BPA in round 1. Unlike OL, the other positions of need all platoon, so the player will have a chance to flash (contribute early).
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:37 PM)puddycat Wrote: Last 5 years: OL drafted in rounds 1-4:
1st: JWilliams, BPrice
2nd: JCarman
3rd: -none-
4th: CVolson, DSmith, MJordan
Horrible track record.. The only good player so far was picked Round 1 with the 11th pick.  And even he has been replaced.  I don't want to give up trying, but right now I have no confidence in picking a OT who will contribute this (or next) year.  Bengals are in win now mode. O'Cyrus Torrence is project to be a starter, but not a star, so a bit of a reach for round 1.  Bengals have put themselves in a good position to take BPA in round 1.  Unlike OL, the other positions of need all platoon, so the player will have a chance to flash (contribute early).

Last thing we need is another Ogbuehi no doubt. Darnell Wright is the most sure thing that is a possibility, the other Tackles are all 
very questionable. Trade back if Darnell Wright isn't there and grab one and a pick if we do take one of them with our first pick is all I 
can say. Drafting an OL in the first is as big of a gamble as any other position from our track record. Even Jonah was supposed to be 
the most sure OL in his class and look what happened. Injury prone and is now looking to be traded after a poor season.

I have hope for Carman too after the Playoffs, he was impressive at LT, if he can play like that at RT, we might not have a problem.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 03:49 AM)spazz70 Wrote: No TE is going to be a game changer in our offense...Joe doesn't target them 1st like KC and others....  late round OL...LOL, good luck, what we have been hoping for 10 years....FA, already made our splash for a few years...OBJr....fix the line for years please.

This is the most relevant point in this discussion.  Does a legitimate threat at TE help the offense?  Absolutely.  Will one of these TEs put up huge numbers in this offense?  Absolutely not.

That being said, this isn't a group of elite tight ends.  There's no Kyle Pitts, Hockenson or even Tyler Eifert in this class.  What we have is a very deep group of late first round and second round guys.  There are several later guys that could provide a legit threat in the middle of the field to defenses stop playing so much 2 deep.

Will there be a RT there that is worth the pick?  Who knows.  As always, take the best guy on the board and go from there.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 07:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This is the most relevant point in this discussion.  Does a legitimate threat at TE help the offense?  Absolutely.  Will one of these TEs put up huge numbers in this offense?  Absolutely not.

That being said, this isn't a group of elite tight ends.  There's no Kyle Pitts, Hockenson or even Tyler Eifert in this class.  What we have is a very deep group of late first round and second round guys.  There are several later guys that could provide a legit threat in the middle of the field to defenses stop playing so much 2 deep.

Will there be a RT there that is worth the pick?  Who knows.  As always, take the best guy on the board and go from there.

There is a few guys that could be elite though, at least in my opinion. Here are 4 that have a ton of upside and could be those types...

Darnell Washington, Luke Musgrave, Josh Whyle and Kuntz. 

I think most of the others are solid which makes this a deep Draft, Mayer, LaPorta, Kraft, Strange, Durham, Schoonmaker etc.

I leave out Kincaid simply because he is a WR playing TE like Chase Coffman.
Reply/Quote

I generally agree with your point.  However, it might not be a terrible idea to have a high-end pass catching TE step in for one of the big 3 when they depart.  They can replace some production, and even the best of them don't demand top end receiver money.  KC saves a decent bit through having their number 1 receiver not be an actual wr.
Reply/Quote

The Bengals added four quality OL and one good rookie OL in just the last two years: Orlando Brown, Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, and La'el Collins. Yes, fans on this board have complained about the OL for many, many years. But the team invested heavily in the OL in just the last two years. It is no longer the Bengals most glaring need. 

I'm not sure why so many posters are fixated on using this year's first round pick on another OL. If there is one that is a no-brainer -- sure.  No problem. But if there is a no-brainer at another position -- TE, RB, Edge, etc. -- then I am all for that.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:51 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals added four quality OL and one good rookie OL in just the last two years: Orlando Brown, Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, and La'el Collins. Yes, fans on this board have complained about the OL for many, many years. But the team invested heavily in the OL in just the last two years. It is no longer the Bengals most glaring need. 

I'm not sure why so many posters are fixated on using this year's first round pick on another OL. If there is one that is a no-brainer -- sure.  No problem. But if there is a no-brainer at another position -- TE, RB, Edge, etc. -- then I am all for that.
Ok...Who is our RT?   No ifs ands or buts...who is our RT on opening day?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 11:40 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Ok...Who is our RT?   No ifs ands or buts...who is our RT on opening day?

IDK.. and if we draft an OT in the first round I still wouldn't know.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 11:40 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Ok...Who is our RT?   No ifs ands or buts...who is our RT on opening day?

Who are our starting CB's on opening day?  S's?  TE?

There are bigger question marks at other positions.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 10:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Who are our starting CB's on opening day?  S's?  TE?

There are bigger question marks at other positions.

Awuzie and CTB...Dax Hill and Nick Scott...Irv Smith Jr....  these spots were filled or already filled.   RT can be taken care of, possibly, if the right guy is there.  Get the bookends solidified for the foreseeable future.  A decent 3rd round TE will be a great addition with a solid OL.  

Sorry...a TE or RB is a luxury pick for our team.  CB I can see if no RT.  I just want this line fixed.
Reply/Quote