Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The draft and the offensive line
(04-06-2023, 03:23 AM)puddycat Wrote: IDK.. and if we draft an OT in the first round I still wouldn't know.

This is the truth especially if Darnell Wright isn't there...

Who knows if Anton Harrison, DaWand Jones or Matt Bergeron beat out Carman at RT in a true competition for the spot?

I would like the competition, but we want a starter in the 1st round. To me that is only Darnell Wright at RT.

A TE like Darnell Washington or Mayer or a stud RB like Bijan Robinson would start.

Also, wouldn't mind a Corner like Banks to really solidify our Secondary or a 3-tech like Kancey or an Edge.

And if we are not extending DJ Reader a NT could be a thought as well.

(04-06-2023, 11:41 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Awuzie and CTB...Dax Hill and Nick Scott...Irv Smith Jr....  these spots were filled or already filled.   RT can be taken care of, possibly, if the right guy is there.  Get the bookends solidified for the foreseeable future.  A decent 3rd round TE will be a great addition with a solid OL.  

Sorry...a TE or RB is a luxury pick for our team.  CB I can see if no RT.  I just want this line fixed.

We all want it fixed, but a 1st round pick on a Tackle won't necessarily do that as we have seen in the past.

Darnell Wright I think would, but he is unlikely to be there at 28 and I doubt we trade up for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 11:41 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Awuzie and CTB...Dax Hill and Nick Scott...Irv Smith Jr....  these spots were filled or already filled.   RT can be taken care of, possibly, if the right guy is there.  Get the bookends solidified for the foreseeable future.  A decent 3rd round TE will be a great addition with a solid OL.  

Sorry...a TE or RB is a luxury pick for our team.  CB I can see if no RT.  I just want this line fixed.

Awuzie may not be ready to start the season.  Scott allowed a 118+ passer rating when targeted last year, his only year as a starter.  Irv has only started 15 games in 4 years.  

Perine played over 40% of the offensive snaps last year.  RB2 is not a luxury pick.  A TE is also going to get significant reps whether they win the starting job or not.  The only way a RT improves the team this year is if they win a starting job, which is far from a given.  After all, the reason we're talking RT is we have so many other draft picks at T that we aren't comfortable starting.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: Awuzie may not be ready to start the season.  Scott allowed a 118+ passer rating when targeted last year, his only year as a starter.  Irv has only started 15 games in 4 years.  

Perine played over 40% of the offensive snaps last year.  RB2 is not a luxury pick.  A TE is also going to get significant reps whether they win the starting job or not.  The only way a RT improves the team this year is if they win a starting job, which is far from a given.  After all, the reason we're talking RT is we have so many other draft picks at T that we aren't comfortable starting.  

At 28?  A RB is definitely a luxury pick...especially when you have a 12 million dollar one that can't play 3rd down.  And I am not going to rely on a rookie to a great blocker on 3rd down either.

A TE may get reps...does not mean they will start or be a difference maker in our offense.

Going back to my original thought...if one of the top 2 RTs are there at 28...you take them.   It should not even be a second thought.

Think of Munoz/Walter...Levi/Willie...he'll even Whit/Smith was 10 times better than recent.
Reply/Quote
In my mind, if the right RT is there, ya gotta take him. But I have absolutely warmed up to the idea of Washington in this offense. Yeah, TE isn’t a game breaker in this offense but also look at the plays Uzomah made a couple years ago to give us a couple nice wins. Even if the playcall isn’t designed to go to the TE, if all others are covered Burrow will find him if he has time. So the TE COULD be quite useful. Throw in his blocking prowess and the fact we could solve a revolving-door problem at TE for the next four or five years, and I’m starting to come around to the possibility.
Reply/Quote
If Darnell Wright is there at #28 then you select him. The harsh reality is that Jonah Williams is probably here in '23. There could be a situation where a team becomes LT needy due to an injury or so forth prior to the season but short of that all teams know he is a FA after '23 and are most likely not giving up a 3rd round or higher selection for him. So if you select Wright at 28 then you have an open competition between him and Jonah or give the job to Jonah and a redshirt season for Wright. Either way you have the long term answer at RT locked down.

If Wright is not there then it is safe to say that Jonah will be the starting RT and if he values his career he will perform at a high level. The Bengals can then look for OTs that have starting caliber talent to compete with Carman in '24. They could go with guys like Matthew Bergeron, Wanya Morris, or Carter Warren later in the draft and I believe all three have the ability to be a very quality starting option at RT in '24.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:23 PM)spazz70 Wrote: At 28?  A RB is definitely a luxury pick...especially when you have a 12 million dollar one that can't play 3rd down.  And I am not going to rely on a rookie to a great blocker on 3rd down either.

A TE may get reps...does not mean they will start or be a difference maker in our offense.

Going back to my original thought...if one of the top 2 RTs are there at 28...you take them.   It should not even be a second thought.

Think of Munoz/Walter...Levi/Willie...he'll even Whit/Smith was 10 times better than recent.

The fact that we have a $12 million dollar RB that can't play on third downs is actually a pretty good reason why RB isn't a luxury pick.  

Any TE available at 28 has a better chance to start than a RT.  There's no guarantee that a RT is going to be a difference maker, either.  

Both Wright and Jones have work ethic/motivation concerns.  Wright showed up overweight at the Senior Bowl and his Combine measurables indicate that he shouldn't have the lack of range in the run/screen game he shows on tape.  Jones has been a disaster the entire process.  There's no way I would entertain even spending a Day 2 pick on him.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 12:04 AM)Whatever Wrote: The fact that we have a $12 million dollar RB that can't play on third downs is actually a pretty good reason why RB isn't a luxury pick.  

Any TE available at 28 has a better chance to start than a RT.  There's no guarantee that a RT is going to be a difference maker, either.  

Both Wright and Jones have work ethic/motivation concerns.  Wright showed up overweight at the Senior Bowl and his Combine measurables indicate that he shouldn't have the lack of range in the run/screen game he shows on tape.  Jones has been a disaster the entire process.  There's no way I would entertain even spending a Day 2 pick on him.  

Honest question here. Let me begin by stating that I am not a fan of selecting Dawand Jones but I would like to hear an explanation to him being a disaster the entire process. He showed up at the combine at a weight far below what many were predicting and the went to the Senior Bowl and manhandled some very good players in one on one drills. I do not want the Bengals to select him but I feel your statement is a bit slanderous of the young man.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:28 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Honest question here. Let me begin by stating that I am not a fan of selecting Dawand Jones but I would like to hear an explanation to him being a disaster the entire process. He showed up at the combine at a weight far below what many were predicting and the went to the Senior Bowl and manhandled some very good players in one on one drills. I do not want the Bengals to select him but I feel your statement is a bit slanderous of the young man.

There's no way I'm drafting a kid who refuses to do movement drills and weigh ins.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 12:04 AM)Whatever Wrote: The fact that we have a $12 million dollar RB that can't play on third downs is actually a pretty good reason why RB isn't a luxury pick.  

Good points and Wright showing up overweight could be the reason we have a chance at him honestly. I still take Wright at 28 if he is there.

Also a great point about Mixon's scratch he makes while not being an every down Back. You take Bijan Robinson who is and he is a starter.
Reply/Quote