Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The drafting of Mixon/Ross/Malone will extend the career length of A.J. Green
I've always felt a big reason Calvin Johnson left the Lions was because they were never able to supplement him with other offensive weapons. It wasn't for lack of trying, but the numbers and usage of Johnson throughout his career were unsustainable.

A.J. Green was on pace for those sorts of numbers last year, but the usage cost him an injury and the season. It's better when these elite receivers don't have to carry the whole load. I believe that it takes a tremendous toll on the duration of said receivers' career lengths.

The drafting of offensive weapons this year was twofold, as it not only provides more diveristy for our offensive gameplans, but should keep Green to a reasonable usage and inspire him to stay in Cincinnati just that much longer.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
True, but when these new weapons fully develop into stars in the NFL, will the Bengals sign AJ Green to another contract? He'll be 31, during the final year of his contract, in 2019.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 11:56 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I've always felt a big reason Calvin Johnson left the Lions was because they were never able to supplement him with other offensive weapons. It wasn't for lack of trying, but the numbers and usage of Johnson throughout his career were unsustainable.

A.J. Green was on pace for those sorts of numbers last year, but the usage cost him an injury and the season. It's better when these elite receivers don't have to carry the whole load. I believe that it takes a tremendous toll on the duration of said receivers' career lengths.

The drafting of offensive weapons this year was twofold, as it not only provides more diveristy for our offensive gameplans, but should keep Green to a reasonable usage and inspire him to stay in Cincinnati just that much longer.

Correct, these guys will only help him. I just hope we can re-sign him once his contract is up as Sunset here alludes.

AJ Green is the type of man you want on your team, he is not just a rare talent, he breathes professional.
Reply/Quote
It's an intelligent move that helps immediately and in the long run. They will free up my bro dawg AJ and helping him increase his numbers to even higher levels. And when it comes time for him to retire, because no player can last forever, The Bengals will still have weapons to offset his depature.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 12:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but when these new weapons fully develop into stars in the NFL, will the Bengals sign AJ Green to another contract? He'll be 31, during the final year of his contract, in 2019.

Yes. We love our veterans.

Reply/Quote
AJ is a special player, and I hope Ross becomes one too. They can only help prolong each other's career. Not to mention pulling those Deep safeties off of Green's side all the time. With Green and Ross, Eifert and Mixon can't be the defensive gamelan for the opposition. They can both benefit greatly as well!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 07:56 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: AJ is a special player, and I hope Ross becomes one too.  They can only help prolong each other's career.  Not to mention pulling those Deep safeties off of Green's side all the time. With Green and Ross, Eifert and Mixon can't be the defensive gamelan for the opposition.  They can both benefit greatly as well!

Sure the opposing DCs can game plan, rush the hell out of that piss poor OL...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've been nervous that A.J. Green much like his idol Calvin Johnson will leave the game early. He has been injured a fair amount of times and... I mean... lets admit it, being a Bengal is the rough life, lots of emotional tolls being what we are.

Calvin played 9 seasons,
AJ is going into his 7th season.  Shocked

It's a scary thought, Andy needs to rally this team and lead us past the first round to extend the career of Green in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
2007: Calvin was a rookie, 3rd on the team in yards
2008: Orlovsky/Culpepper/Kitna were all QB
2009: Stafford was a terrible rookie and Culpepper/Stanton started 6 games
2010: Pettigrew 722 yards, Burleson 625 yards
2011: Pettigrew 777 yards, Burleson 757 yards, Young 607 yards
2012: 2 TE 500+ yards each
2013: 2 RB 500+ yards each
2014: Golden Tate 1,077 yards
2015: Golden Tate 813 yards, Riddick 697 yards, Ebron 537 yards

There was a couple years at the start where he had just terrible QBing and he was just able to put up stats because they could chuck the ball to him. '12-'13 was pretty rough too, but overall I don't think there was a huge absence of talent around Calvin. I think the problem was Calvin was so good that there was just less reason to throw to anyone else. Like how in 2013 Calvin had 156 targets and the #2 yardage guy had 69 targets.

Calvin's career ended early because he's a huge dude who played like a TE and took a lot of shots, and also probably got tired of losing all the time on the Lions.

- - - - - - -
Not to mention it's awfully early to be saying Mixon/Ross/Malone will even be good NFL players, let alone extending AJ's career, which I still don't think that's how that works.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 11:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've been nervous that A.J. Green much like his idol Calvin Johnson will leave the game early. He has been injured a fair amount of times and... I mean... lets admit it, being a Bengal is the rough life, lots of emotional tolls being what we are.

Calvin played 9 seasons,
AJ is going into his 7th season.  Shocked

It's a scary thought, Andy needs to rally this team and lead us past the first round to extend the career of Green in my opinion.

It is a valid point, but I think I read AJ as someone that wants to set records and leave the game on top.  That might sound like an impossibility as long as Rice played the game, but I could see AJ and Julio continuing their battle for many more years.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 01:31 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2007: Calvin was a rookie, 3rd on the team in yards
2008: Orlovsky/Culpepper/Kitna were all QB
2009: Stafford was a terrible rookie and Culpepper/Stanton started 6 games
2010: Pettigrew 722 yards, Burleson 625 yards
2011: Pettigrew 777 yards, Burleson 757 yards, Young 607 yards
2012: 2 TE 500+ yards each
2013: 2 RB 500+ yards each
2014: Golden Tate 1,077 yards
2015: Golden Tate 813 yards, Riddick 697 yards, Ebron 537 yards

There was a couple years at the start where he had just terrible QBing and he was just able to put up stats because they could chuck the ball to him. '12-'13 was pretty rough too, but overall I don't think there was a huge absence of talent around Calvin. I think the problem was Calvin was so good that there was just less reason to throw to anyone else. Like how in 2013 Calvin had 156 targets and the #2 yardage guy had 69 targets.

Calvin's career ended early because he's a huge dude who played like a TE and took a lot of shots, and also probably got tired of losing all the time on the Lions.

- - - - - - -
Not to mention it's awfully early to be saying Mixon/Ross/Malone will even be good NFL players, let alone extending AJ's career, which I still don't think that's how that works.

Good stuff TLL. Rock On

I agree Calvin's size is the biggest reason why he left the game and keeping himself from being a cripple at an early age.

AJ Green has a knack for avoiding hits similar to what i saw in Ross in college.

I still remember that hit Ndukwe put on Calvin in college. Shocked

Plus, of course it is awfully early to say this about these guys but some, including me, cannot help but be excited about these guys..

And Cody Core and Tyler Boyd going into their 2nd season under Urban.

(05-26-2017, 06:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is a valid point, but I think I read AJ as someone that wants to set records and leave the game on top.  That might sound like an impossibility as long as Rice played the game, but I could see AJ and Julio continuing their battle for many more years.  

AJ will go as long as he can no question. He takes care of himself. He might not be as smooth as Jerry Rice or have as good of
hands but he is no doubt just as talented. He could still surprise a lot of people and play for a very long time. He might not have
as good of records cause Dalton now has so many options but he will always be recognized as one of the greats IMHO.

AJ Green is himself, no one is like him and he is a true professional with class.
Reply/Quote
If the OC and other "coaches" including Marvy ever figure out how to best use the talent they have amassed. So far they haven't learned much. I sincerely hope these additions allow AJ's career continue for a long time -- in Cincinnati of course! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 04:38 PM)Derrick Wrote: If the OC and other "coaches" including Marvy ever figure out how to best use the talent they have amassed. So far they haven't learned much. I sincerely hope these additions allow AJ's career continue for a long time -- in Cincinnati of course! ThumbsUp

It seemed to me that Hue had it down pretty well, as Marvin Jones was being fully utilized in taking advantage of the matchups provided by teams rolling coverage to AJ.  

Here is what I mean, and remember the last five games of the season were with AJM as QB:

2015 WR Yardage Totals:

AJ Green-    1297
Marvin Jones- 816
Eifert-           615
Gio-              472
Sanu-           394

Total           3694 yards

That was just those five players.  

I think if taking full advantage of the matchups provided by team's desire to take away (or at least try to limit) AJ Green, we could see Ross have a similar year to MLJ, Eifert have at least that many yards, Gio's numbers may decline due to health early, but Mixon will likely take them to the next level.  Boyd could easily outperform Sanu's total from that season.

Factor this with the steady veteran Lafell, likely rotating in at both X and slot, Uzomah, Core, and Malone all getting some targets, and it looks like a more explosive offense than we had in 2015.  

I keep discussing the strength of the offense, with all its weaponry, but another point is that with a better defense, the offense will be getting the ball more often.  An improved pass rush could force INTs, and maybe some fumbles.  A healthy Burfict and faster LB crew will stop more third and middle attempts and force the opponent in to a punt.  

All of this adds up to more drives for the offense. 
Reply/Quote