Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The effects of losing solid vets to FA.
Your team is worse….

Until your new guys get up to speed
-Housh
Reply/Quote
There's absolutely something to be said for losing quality vets. At the same time, that's the nature of this game. You're always building, you're never done. It's a constant shakeup with guys moving in and out. The best teams aren't those that keep everything the same, but rather the ones that successfully handle the change.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2023, 01:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Perhaps, just perhaps, Bates and Bell held the other seven to a higher standard when they were here because they are vets that carried weight in the locker room. Guys that are willing to get in the front seven's faces and let them know when they are playing like shit!

You really believe this? Bates and Bell held a higher standard than the rest?  You really think they got in Reader's and Hendricks's faces and told them they were playing like shit and that would motivate them?

Did Bates have a higher standard when he pouted through 2021 or did his hold out in 2022?  Where was their leadership in 2020 the last time Burrow was injured?  Who gave up both TD's in the AFCCG last season?

We no doubt miss the communication but the rest of this is kinda odd.  Fans and their "leadership" perspective is almost always a little out of whack, like the concern many had over CJ leaving because he was such a "leader".  

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 11:11 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You really believe this? Bates and Bell held a higher standard than the rest?  You really think they got in Reader's and Hendricks's faces and told them they were playing like shit and that would motivate them?

Did Bates have a higher standard when he pouted through 2021 or did his hold out in 2022?  Where was their leadership in 2020 the last time Burrow was injured?  Who gave up both TD's in the AFCCG last season?

We no doubt miss the communication but the rest of this is kinda odd.  Fans and their "leadership" perspective is almost always a little out of whack, like the concern many had over CJ leaving because he was such a "leader".  

If I remember correctly, we signed Bell to a 3-year deal. Burrow, Chase, and Higgins were all drafted. That's important to mention and shouldn't be understated.  Ts, the defense also began to ascend around the time of his signing. Bates went from a prospect to one of the highest paid Safeties in the league. The defense suddenly had a knack for getting timely turnovers ect. Bell had one to win an AFC Championship btw. 

And to answer your question I'm damn sure that Bell would tell the big boys like it is. Tape don't lie. It's only eleven on the field at once, buddy. It's pretty easy addition and subtraction. The results have been in the pudding each season. The pudding sux this year so have at it.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 11:36 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. If it has, I apologize. Being here in the Florida panhandle I predominantly receive the NFC South, AFC East, and the occasional Jax game. You can bet that the NFC South is on every week. Ts, I've had the opportunity to watch Bates and Bell now more than once. Bates is balling! Bell isn't far behind. Both are contributing greatly to their new teams thus far. Perine is contributing about what we would expect. Hurst is doing Hurst things.

Point I'm trying to make is that losing those kind of locker room vets takes a toll in areas that don't always show up in the stats. I particularly think the loss of Bell and Bates shows. Not knocking Dax or Scott. Dax played great against the Rams. Losing those four players hurt the chemistry a little and losing that vet leadership is currently showing in certain areas of the team.

Not sure that this has been discussed enough.

Dax has been very good, losing Bell hurt of course, but as long as Scott can play decent until Tycen or Battle grow into that 
other stud next to Dax I think Safety could be better than it was with Bates and Bell. TE is definitely worse without Hurst, that
is for sure but we couldn't afford to pay him what he got paid just like Bates and Bell.

Losing Perine definitely has hurt as he was good at picking up the blitz. Dax needs to grow into a leader and I think he will but
we have plenty of leaders in our locker room on both sides of the ball and THEY need to bring this team together.

No excuses, it is time.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dax has been very good, losing Bell hurt of course, but as long as Scott can play decent until Tycen or Battle grow into that 
other stud next to Dax I think Safety could be better than it was with Bates and Bell. TE is definitely worse without Hurst, that
is for sure but we couldn't afford to pay him what he got paid just like Bates and Bell.

Losing Perine definitely has hurt as he was good at picking up the blitz. Dax needs to grow into a leader and I think he will but
we have plenty of leaders in our locker room on both sides of the ball and THEY need to bring this team together.

No excuses, it is time.

I agree, Nate! I just posted this in the spirit of discussion because I've heard the names Bates, Bell, and Hurst a lot in the last month. Like I mentioned, I always get an NFC South game or two on the tele. I particularly think the loss of Bell has been felt. Ts, Bates is playing good football in the ATL right now.

I'm hoping that DJ isn't just mailing it in this season with his contract looming and him probably going elsewhere. The D's numbers should start to get better. Just hope we see it sooner than later as you mentioned.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 11:36 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. If it has, I apologize. Being here in the Florida panhandle I predominantly receive the NFC South, AFC East, and the occasional Jax game. You can bet that the NFC South is on every week. Ts, I've had the opportunity to watch Bates and Bell now more than once. Bates is balling! Bell isn't far behind. Both are contributing greatly to their new teams thus far. Perine is contributing about what we would expect. Hurst is doing Hurst things.

Point I'm trying to make is that losing those kind of locker room vets takes a toll in areas that don't always show up in the stats. I particularly think the loss of Bell and Bates shows. Not knocking Dax or Scott. Dax played great against the Rams. Losing those four players hurt the chemistry a little and losing that vet leadership is currently showing in certain areas of the team.

Not sure that this has been discussed enough.

It was discussed plently. Ton of people were pretty dismissive of it , especially once Orlando Brown got signed.
Reply/Quote
The main vet we are missing big time is actually Perine. We have no RB on the roster who seems to actually know and practice pass protection properly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2023, 08:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: The main vet we are missing big time is actually Perine. We have no RB on the roster who seems to actually know and practice pass protection properly.

Nick Scott is a poor man's Vonn Bell and we arguably miss him more.
Reply/Quote