Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The elephant in the room, again, Oline
I think we will look at drafting a RT type of player in rounds 1-3 this year. I think they will see who falls in rd 1 and how their board sits, but they do like skill position players in rd 1 from past drafts. . They know they have extentions coming up so maybe they do something like this:

1) 28- Darnell Washington (TE) Georgia 6'7 270, big offensive target and solid blocker would make offense elite.
2) 60- Zion Nelson(OT) Miami- can play both tackle spots 6'5 320 with long arms.
3) 92- Ronnie Hickman (S) OSU- can be a nice extra safety to allow Dax more freedom on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 07:07 PM)Housh Wrote: I just dont see it with Jonah Williams.

I guarantee he goes to a division rival and watch he becomes a pro bowler.

Hes not strong enough to handle guys like Trey H or Frank Clark, but hes also not fast enough to handle the Hassan Reddicks and the Chase Young's of the world. So its like why are you here? I damn near wanna just say eff it and put him at G.

He had a 1st round grade coming out for a reason, I just havent seen it.

he handles the chiefs just fine
Reply/Quote
Don't understand why everyone is ready to boot Adeniji. He's a reserve tackle, and frankly not a bad backup. Did he struggle against Chris Jones? Yeah. Would Collins have strugged against Chris Jones? Yeah. No one was complaining about Adeniji until Sunday. Turns out elite pass rushers usually win one on one against backup O linemen.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think there’s not much that can be done with the OL. We’ve spent our money. Hopefully draft a tackle in the second or third round. There’s no money to get one in FA. JMHO.

I think there's no way we can afford to not fix the Oline.

Cut Joe Mixon and free up some money and get a free agent in here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 07:20 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I think we will look at drafting a RT type of player in rounds 1-3 this year. I think they will see who falls in rd 1 and how their board sits, but they do like skill position players in rd 1 from past drafts. . They know they have extentions coming up so maybe they do something like this:

1) 28- Darnell Washington (TE) Georgia 6'7 270, big offensive target and solid blocker would make offense elite.
2) 60- Zion Nelson(OT) Miami- can play both tackle spots 6'5 320 with long arms.
3) 92- Ronnie Hickman (S) OSU- can be a nice extra safety to allow Dax more freedom on passing downs.

I think we have to make a full commitment to the oline. 

This year the immediate need is at RT.  The higher the draft pick the more likely the success.  

Unless a massive stud CB is there at 28, take the best OT on the board, especially if that is a RT.
If we dont sign Bell, or a FA safety, and Brian Branch is at 28 take him, otherwise, take the best OT on the board, especially if that is a RT.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 08:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think there's no way we can afford to not fix the Oline.

Cut Joe Mixon and free up some money and get a free agent in here.

& Mixon is the new elephant in the room. I concur, cut him and use the money on the OL.
Reply/Quote
Maybe we need to start looking for a new Oline coach, seems we continue to struggle every year... maybe a new coach can get these guys playing better
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 10:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Maybe we need to start looking for a new Oline coach, seems we continue to struggle every year... maybe a new coach can get these guys playing better

I think Justin Frye would be a shrewd move if looking for someone from the college ranks.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 07:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he handles the chiefs just fine

I didn't even know he swung that way
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Hes not strong enough to handle guys like Trey H or Frank Clark, but hes also not fast enough to handle the Hassan Reddicks and the Chase Young's of the world. So its like why are you here? I damn near wanna just say eff it and put him at G.

Jonah was a stoodfish. He looked Ok previously due to the glaring lack of talent around him previously. He is a 1st rounder and leads the stat for sacks given up. Add the fact he had multiple injuries this year I just don't have any hope for him. Carman would couldnt earn a starting gig came in and instantly performed better than Jonah. Granted it was a small sample size, however he played enough snaps to see he wouldn't get bull rushed into the QB like Jonah. It doesn't help he had below average
arm length. If he is in the Bengals next year it should be as a serviceable backup or let some other team pick him up that is desparate for OT.
Reply/Quote

I don’t know. Guards face some of the strongest people in the league. I think he’d get destroyed. Could you imagine him trying to block Geno?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
My concern with Jonah is more that he gets pushed back into the QB way too easy. Injuries are my second concern. Volson did plenty enough to head into next year as the front runner for the starting LG position imo. Im fine with him. No reason to think he has hit his ceiling at all. I like everyone else, but am concerned with Collins and his injuries as well. And the fact that he gives us a lot of pressures. He did look really good at times though. We will be drafting some OL imo.
Reply/Quote
How is this an elephant in the room if it’s one of the main topics discussed by Bengals fans and pundits? That being said:
1. Is Jonah going to be any quicker or stronger after recovering from two dislocated kneecaps?
2. Is LC’s back going to fix itself as he recovers from his ACL injury? Is he going to be less rusty when he gets back, unlike this season?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Why is no one concerned about Cappa ending the season 2 years in a row with an ankle injury?

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:18 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: How is this an elephant in the room if it’s one of the main topics discussed by Bengals fans and pundits? That being said:
1. Is Jonah going to be any quicker or stronger after recovering from two dislocated kneecaps?
2. Is LC’s back going to fix itself as he recovers from his ACL injury? Is he going to be less rusty when he gets back, unlike this season?

1.  No Jonah will not be quicker or stronger.  He will undoubtedly continue to get pushed in to Burrow because he lacks the strength to withstand the bull rush.  Will the coaching staff do anything about it?  Who knows.  The coaches rode with Williams the entire year until they were forced to go with someone else because of the injury.  If not for the Injury Jonah would have kept getting sent out there getting bull rushed.

2.  With the knee injury it's doubtful Collins even plays next year so we are probably going to need to sign a free agent for that RT position.  Either that or rely on Adeniji again or draft an unproven rookie and rely on him.  Neither of the last 2 choices sound good to my.  My vote would be a quality free agent but I don't run the team so...
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why is no one concerned about Cappa ending the season 2 years in a row with an ankle injury?

Well, Volson pushed a defender into Cappa so it's not really on Cappa is it?

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 12:25 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Well, Volson pushed a defender into Cappa so it's not really on Cappa is it?

Is La'el's injury "on him"? 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Is La'el's injury "on him"? 

I think that one was on Ted wasn't it?  He apologized for it.....

If I recall only Jonah's knees were non contact injuries?

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:23 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I think that one was on Ted wasn't it?  He apologized for it.....

If I recall only Jonah's knees were non contact injuries?

I guess I'm missing your point. I asked if anyone was concerned about Cappa ending the last 2 seasons with an ankle injury and you said "It's not on him". 

Regardless of how the injury occurred it's "on them". 

Reply/Quote
Jonah, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins, Adeniji, Carman, Smith, and Hill is a really good start. Could it be better? Of course. Did we just win a shitload of games with those guys playing OL? Yep. Cool keeping the same OL that rattled off 7 wins in a row then injuries started and the streak still kept going to 10 wins before the refs intervened.

We have a good group. We don't have to freak out and do anything drastic as far as cutting one of the guys who we already have. We are more than likely losing Scharping and Prince has already moved on. So there is room for new talent without getting rid of anybody.

It would definitely be nice to throw a top player into the mix. But it's not entirely necessary
Reply/Quote