Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fact that our o line was so bad and theres already questions
About re-signing back Zeitler AND Wittworth should tell you why this team's FO is one of the worst.

The money should already be on the table. We didn't get promising play from our younger lineman and we aren't going to look for big names in free agency. So lets not act like we don't need Whit and Zeitler. Sign Whit and tag Zeitler its that easy.

Messed up part is I could see BOTH walking if Whittworth decides to actually ask for what hes worth which is about 8-10 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:34 PM)Housh Wrote: About re-signing back Zeitler AND Wittworth should tell you why this team's FO is one of the worst.

The money should already be on the table. We didn't get promising play from our younger lineman and we aren't going to look for big names in free agency. So lets not act like we don't need Whit and Zeitler. Sign Whit and tag Zeitler its that easy.

Messed up part is I could see BOTH walking if Whittworth decides to actually ask for what hes worth which is about 8-10 million per year.

Signing Z and tagging Whit makes more sense. We'll see if your prediction is correct; although, I would not be surprised if both are in stripe in 2017
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:34 PM)Housh Wrote: About re-signing back Zeitler AND Wittworth should tell you why this team's FO is one of the worst.

"A bird in the hand..." seems appropriate here.
Reply/Quote

As i said in another thread i highly doubt both Whit and Zeitler leave. This would be worse than we have seen since
the 90's and would completely implode the entire team from the stars down. Dalton would get killed, Green wouldn't
get the ball, the Defense would be on the field all game and would tire, Burfict and even Atkins would get pissed etc.

We usually sign a few of our guys we need to, this would be different in a worse way than we have seen if what you
say here happens. The FO would HAVE to go out and get a couple O-lineman.

My prediction is Whit comes back, we sign a Guard like Ronald Leary when Zeitler leaves and we roll with Bodine at
Center and Fisher at RT and draft a late Center and a late, raw OT.

Problem is the same though and you know what i will say...
Reply/Quote
We need to make moves and sign those we need a let the dead weight go. So badly want to go to SB. I know we can have the best players in the NFL and probably don't have a chance due to our coaching but damn, at least act like you want to win?

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 07:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We need to make moves and sign those we need a let the dead weight go. So badly want to go to SB. I know we can have the best players in the NFL and probably don't have a chance due to our coaching but damn, at least act like you want to win?

Mikey manages the team like there aren't 31 other professional teams fighting for the Lombardi trophy. Like we'll eventually get lucky and win a superbowl and everyone will have to get off his back and let him be cheap.

You guys know what REALLY scares me?

What if Mike Brown actually thinks his model is good because of us getting to the playoffs all those times?

What is he was a raging egomaniac and the only reason he keeps ML around is because hes HIS guy?
Reply/Quote
Well, the Bengals have more problems than the O-line. However,  lets not add to this problem. I personally see both guys walking and Mikey signing a washed up veteran or two to fill the spots. Dalton will be sacked numerous times in 2017. 
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 07:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Mikey manages the team like there aren't 31 other professional teams fighting for the Lombardi trophy. Like we'll eventually get lucky and win a superbowl and everyone will have to get off his back and let him be cheap.

You guys know what REALLY scares me?

What if Mike Brown actually thinks his model is good because of us getting to the playoffs all those times?

What is he was a raging egomaniac and the only reason he keeps ML around is because hes HIS guy?

Sure, we're all frustrated with an NFL franchise that is run like a Mom and Pop corner market trying to compete with Costco and Walmart.  However, and not trying to stir an argument here, but isn't Mike more Katie's guy than Mike's?  I thought that I read that Mike wanted Tom Coughlin, back at the time that ML was first hired.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I dont think a 35 year old offensive linemen is going to have a strong market. Hobson keeps talking like he is by far our top priority. We are bidding against ourselves there. If we should let the market set the price for anybody. It should be the oldest player at his position.

Maybe we should suck it up and dump a lot of money in to Zeitler this year in a front loaded contract. Since there is a 99% chance we dont go out and get high priced free agents we have to spend the money somewhere.

Another thing to consider is Ogbuehi played guard in college. At the draft pick press conference piano man raved about his ability to play all 5 spots. Wonder if he is an option to take over at guard since our front office thinks Whit is immortal.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 07:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I dont think a 35 year old offensive linemen is going to have a strong market. Hobson keeps talking like he is by far our top priority. We are bidding against ourselves there. If we should let the market set the price for anybody. It should be the oldest player at his position.

Maybe we should suck it up and dump a lot of money in to Zeitler this year in a front loaded contract. Since there is a 99% chance we dont go out and get high priced free agents we have to spend the money somewhere.

Another thing to consider is Ogbuehi played guard in college. At the draft pick press conference piano man raved about his ability to play all 5 spots. Wonder if he is an option to take over at guard since our front office thinks Whit is immortal.

Well, seeing how he blows chunks at the 2 of the 5 he has attempted as a pro, so far, I'm hoping that he can find his niche somewhere...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 07:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, we're all frustrated with an NFL franchise that is run like a Mom and Pop corner market trying to compete with Costco and Walmart.  However, and not trying to stir an argument here, but isn't Mike more Katie's guy than Mike's?  I thought that I read that Mike wanted Tom Coughlin, back at the time that ML was first hired.

Actually I remember us wanting Coughlin as well. I didn't follow the innerworkings of the team back then so I wouldn't know who was whose pick. I honestly thought that Katie was just given power to do things just a few years ago. I didn't know she was involved heavily before ML came. Or are you talking about wanting Coughlin during the most recent extension ML signed? 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 08:12 PM)Housh Wrote: Actually I remember us wanting Coughlin as well. I didn't follow the innerworkings of the team back then so I wouldn't know who was whose pick. I honestly thought that Katie was just given power to do things just a few years ago. I didn't know she was involved heavily before ML came. Or are you talking about wanting Coughlin during the most recent extension ML signed? 

I seem to remember an article or a few, back on the old boards, alluding to the fact that Marvin was Katie's choice, rather than Mike wanting to hire Tom Coughlin.  I could be wrong, but that is what seems to stick in my head.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know we talk about it a lot but I agree. We knew the OL needed additional talent and we're unsure it will have its most important pieces. On top of that, they're possibly replacing one with an unknown instead of a high resource (high pick or FA). It's like we're wrong if we don't trust a system when we all saw Andy running for his life and a weak running game. I hope they surprise us.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As i said in another thread i highly doubt both Whit and Zeitler leave. This would be worse than we have seen since
the 90's and would completely implode the entire team from the stars down. Dalton would get killed, Green wouldn't
get the ball, the Defense would be on the field all game and would tire, Burfict and even Atkins would get pissed etc.

We usually sign a few of our guys we need to, this would be different in a worse way than we have seen if what you
say here happens. The FO would HAVE to go out and get a couple O-lineman.

My prediction is Whit comes back, we sign a Guard like Ronald Leary when Zeitler leaves and we roll with Bodine at
Center and Fisher at RT and draft a late Center and a late, raw OT.

Problem is the same though and you know what i will say...

This seems pretty realistic with the possible exception of letting Zeitler go, and replacing him with Johnson, Hopkins, or Westerman. You'd be able to knock me over with a feather if they actually put together a top tier Oline. Just the thought of another year of Bodine has me reaching for the Bourbon .... much less the circus created by Ogbuehi, and the non-convincing play of Fisher.

(02-18-2017, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I seem to remember an article or a few, back on the old boards, alluding to the fact that Marvin was Katie's choice, rather than Mike wanting to hire Tom Coughlin.  I could be wrong, but that is what seems to stick in my head.

You remember correctly, according to the rumors of the day. My fear is that Katie has moved towards becoming her father, but this is only conjecture of course. The upcoming season may be our last hope of seeing our faith actually yielding positive results. Another crapfest like '16 will bury the good will this team has enjoyed in Marvin's tenure. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
We blew the first half of our season last year trying to play with a discombobulated offensive line. And the problems generated directly out of that right tackle position. Bodine was lackluster, but he did improve somewhat. We might have covered for him at center, but when you add Ogbuehi's total confusion it was a total disaster. And Ced didn't seem to improve at all.

We could see after two or three games it was going to suck, and still we insisted on trying to prove that lineup could work. We did finally make a move with Winston and things improved somewhat, but in truth, we never recovered and the season was mayhem.

Now, after watching that disaster, seeing what disorganized line play did to us, we are going to let a very good lineman get away from us? I actually think Fisher can maybe hold the position down with a full training camp under him, but we don't know that for sure. And he certainly won't if we end up with sub par play right beside him at right guard.

We should be doing everything we can to strengthen that line, not going the other way.
Reply/Quote

Actually it tells us nothing about the front office.  I have not heard them say they will not sign these guys, and NO other team in the league would start negotiations by saying "We will pay them whatever they ask."

Plenty of real reasons to complain about the front office.  No need to just make stuff up.  The truth is that O-line is one place where the Bengals have usually been will to pay good money.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:26 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: This seems pretty realistic with the possible exception of letting Zeitler go, and replacing him with Johnson, Hopkins, or Westerman. You'd be able to knock me over with a feather if they actually put together a top tier Oline. Just the thought of another year of Bodine has me reaching for the Bourbon .... much less the circus created by Ogbuehi, and the non-convincing play of Fisher.

Man, it sure would be stupid to not replace Zeitler with a Guard with atleast SOME experience playing in the NFL.

This would not be a top tier O-line if we brought in Leary, it would just cover up a hole. Sounds more likely to me
than the team just letting the entire O-line disentegrate. Say what you want about how this team has handled things
in the past but this would be WAY worse.

Even in my scenario we would still have Bodine at Center and Fisher at RT. Not a top tier O-line by any standards.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 07:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Another thing to consider is Ogbuehi played guard in college. At the draft pick press conference piano man raved about his ability to play all 5 spots. Wonder if he is an option to take over at guard since our front office thinks Whit is immortal.

I trust nothing that dumbass has to say in evaluating talent.  Bodine....hand picked and stood up for, Ogbuhi....hand picked, Fisher.....another Piano Man Protege.  His track record lately is Bush League.  After him frothing at the mouth about his versatility, you'd think Billy Alexander could get Ogbuehi to play ONE ***** position worth a damn.  Poor Ced wouldn't make waterboy on most NFL teams.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 02:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I trust nothing that dumbass has to say in evaluating talent.  Bodine....hand picked and stood up for, Ogbuhi....hand picked, Fisher.....another Piano Man Protege.  His track record lately is Bush League.  After him frothing at the mouth about his versatility, you'd think Billy Alexander could get Ogbuehi to play ONE ***** position worth a damn.  Poor Ced wouldn't make waterboy on most NFL teams.

Sad aint it Wyche that this guy is still employed and keeps biting our team in the ass over and over again and yet...

He gets defended by some, even Bengal fans.

Maybe another O-line coach could coach Ogbuehi into something other than a waterboy but not PA which makes me
wonder why he takes such a project in the 1st round when there are far more polished OT's to be had. He doesn't even
care about losing his job at all and doesn't even fear failing on a player.

I know if i had a job as a coach i would be taking the safer pick to preserve my job and not hurt the team.

Shows that there is no accountability at all here, especially with this bastid.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 02:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sad aint it Wyche that this guy is still employed and keeps biting our team in the ass over and over again and yet...

He gets defended by some, even Bengal fans.

Maybe another O-line coach could coach Ogbuehi into something other than a waterboy but not PA which makes me
wonder why he takes such a project in the 1st round when there are far more polished OT's to be had. He doesn't even
care about losing his job at all and doesn't even fear failing on a player.

I know if i had a job i would be taking the safer pick to preserve my job and not hurt the team.

Shows that there is no accountability at all here, especially with this bastid.

It's pathetic man.....you hit the nail on the head with the accountability...he's a lifer, and he knows it.  "Oh well, I made a mistake, sorry.  I'll try harder next time....."....shit we don't even get that.  Dumbass is so full of himself, he called criticism of Bodine a "witch hunt", instead of taking some of the blame on his own and getting after Bodine a bit.  Shameful.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote