Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The final 53 let's take a look
(09-01-2019, 08:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know ZT is in his honeymoon phase and could keep 4 QB's and some would love it, but 4 LB's and 4 safeties makes no sense to me

It doesn't but then no 5th LB made sense either.

I had hopes for Henderson at safety (and maybe he just needs longer to get over his injury) and thought Cox might have got a greater look but there wasn't a safety screaming to be on the roster either.

Maybe this is even Zac Taylor (or Tobin's) way of saying to Mike Brown we need to trade for one?
Or maybe it's the new default. Teams play more and more in nickel so do you actually need to be so heavy at LB? It'll be interesting to see how the rule changes affect Special Teams. Might WRs or CBs become more desirable than LBs for Teams duty?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 08:01 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It doesn't but then no 5th LB made sense either.

I had hopes for Henderson at safety (and maybe he just needs longer to get over his injury) and thought Cox might have got a greater look but there wasn't a safety screaming to be on the roster either.

Maybe this is even Zac Taylor (or Tobin's) way of saying to Mike Brown we need to trade for one?
Or maybe it's the new default. Teams play more and more in nickel so do you actually need to be so heavy at LB? It'll be interesting to see how the rule changes affect Special Teams. Might WRs or CBs become more desirable than LBs for Teams duty?

My biggest fear is the refs are going to rob us AGAIN!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 09:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: They may be thinking to play 3 CB and 2 Safeties with 2 LB and 4 DL. The 49ers won Super Bowls with an alignment resembling that. Essentially CB #3 is a “safety” schematically and Safety #2 is a “Linebacker” schematically. If you happen to have a thumper type of safety (which we do) the defense can also deal with power running.

I'm thinking they play 3 safeties, and put Fedj in with Williams and Bates at the same time. He hits harder than any of our backers anyway.... at least it looks like they are going to try something different, right?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:36 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: My biggest fear is the refs are going to rob us AGAIN!!!!!!

This blub was in Peter King's column this morning.  My first reaction to former ref John Parry was it is exactly that technique of his that leads to the perception of some teams getting breaks.  Fans see those calls he didn't make too and then see the same play be called against their team (hint hint the 2015 playoff game)

Quote:"Parry, who officiated NFL games for 19 years, was good on what he called “the artwork” of officiating. He told Seifert: “We file game reports after every game, so I may put on my game report that in the first quarter, at the 10:20 mark, the left tackle probably had a hold, but I chose not to throw and instead communicated with the player. And then, it never appeared again. The league wants to know if you saw it and what your ruling was. It’s when we don’t see things we should call that it becomes a problem. Most of the time they support preventive officiating … There are definitely times when you go to an offensive lineman and say, ‘It’s a long drive, I get that you’re winded. But you’ve got to get your hands inside when you’re blocking. You’re challenging me and eventually, if you continue with this technique, you’ll force me to throw.’ And you’ll find that players do work with you.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm thinking they play 3 safeties, and put Fedj in with Williams and Bates at the same time. He hits harder than any of our backers anyway.... at least it looks like they are going to try something different, right?

I really doubt that they will be playing 3 actual Safeties at the same time, they only kept a total of 4 on the roster.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm thinking they play 3 safeties, and put Fedj in with Williams and Bates at the same time. He hits harder than any of our backers anyway.... at least it looks like they are going to try something different, right?

I really doubt that they will be playing 3 actual Safeties at the same time, they only kept a total of 4 on the roster.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 07:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is it possible the D-Line will go with Tupou and Wren on the field at the same time and move Geno to RE on some schemes?  I am still trying to figure out why two NT.  It would keep the backers clean from guards I would think.  

I could see them going with a 5-2 (3-4 to stick with modern terminology).  A front 5 of Lawson, Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, Hubbard would be quite formidable, as both Lawson and Hubbard are athletic enough to cover the flats and short zone.  Then with Brown, Pratt and Fedj up for run support and to cover the middle of the field.

It could work.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe not, but Lou's got something up his sleeve....
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe not, but Lou's got something up his sleeve....

This is either gonna work or blow up on his face.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:50 AM)pally Wrote: This blub was in Peter King's column this morning.  My first reaction to former ref John Parry was it is exactly that technique of his that leads to the perception of some teams getting breaks.  Fans see those calls he didn't make too and then see the same play be called against their team (hint hint the 2015 playoff game)

Pisses me off.

Call the game right please.

Corruption.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:03 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see them going with a 5-2 (3-4 to stick with modern terminology).  A front 5 of Lawson, Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, Hubbard would be quite formidable, as both Lawson and Hubbard are athletic enough to cover the flats and short zone.  Then with Brown, Pratt and Fedj up for run support and to cover the middle of the field.

It could work.

Trying to cover TE's and RB's with S's always seemed like a better idea to me anyway.  Especially with the LB's we've been running out there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:03 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see them going with a 5-2 (3-4 to stick with modern terminology).  A front 5 of Lawson, Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, Hubbard would be quite formidable, as both Lawson and Hubbard are athletic enough to cover the flats and short zone.  Then with Brown, Pratt and Fedj up for run support and to cover the middle of the field.

It could work.

That would be scary because they would essentially overload left side of defense, forcing the QB to move to his left.  

They could also go:

Dunlap Wren Billings/Tupou Atkins Hubbard.   Hubbard could drop back in zone coverage with Pratt.  The two NT would contain draws or rush attempts.  Billings and Wren have been penetrating offensive lines in preseason and Tupou is like an unmovable rock.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That would be scary because they would essentially overload left side of defense, forcing the QB to move to his left.  

They could also go:

Dunlap Wren Billings/Tupou Atkins Hubbard.   Hubbard could drop back in zone coverage with Pratt.  The two NT would contain draws or rush attempts.  Billings and Wren have been penetrating offensive lines in preseason and Tupou is like an unmovable rock.  

Nice thoughts. Love our D-line rotation. Should be formidable if Pratt, Preston and Vigil tackle well to get QB's in 3rd and long.
Reply/Quote
I guess Smallwood had been considered but was taken by Skins.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:45 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I guess Smallwood had been considered but was taken by Skins.

Good scat back. Too bad.

Man Taylor likes his RB's.
Reply/Quote