Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The final timeout in regulation
I have been looking to see any comment on why Marvin burned the final time out in regulation when we stopped them on a three and out and we were about to receive the punt? Nothing was mentioned by Aikman and Buck

I hesitate to call it a blunder to call it because I don;t know why it was called but even if we have only ten men out there cal a fair catch and have the time out and the two minute warning, no?
Reply/Quote
I am guessing it is because the Seahawks would have ran off a lot more time before punting.

But if that was the reason we should have called it sooner.
Reply/Quote
The way that it happened, th Bengals got the ball back at 2:17 with the only clock stoppage remaining being the two minute warning. If he wouldn't have called the timeout, the Seahawks could have punted the ball and the Bengals would have gotten it back with 1:50 or so on the clock....still with only one clock stoppage remaining: the final timeout. So, good call by the Marv.

BUT...that 2:17 was only not 2:27 because the clock kept rolling after Pacman returned the punt, but since they ruled that he called a fair catch, that 10 seconds should have been put back on, right?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 09:37 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The way that it happened, th Bengals got the ball back at 2:17 with the only clock stoppage remaining being the two minute warning.  If he wouldn't have called the timeout, the Seahawks could have punted the ball and the Bengals would have gotten it back with 1:50 or so on the clock....still with only one clock stoppage remaining: the final timeout.  So, good call by the Marv.

BUT...that 2:17 was only not 2:27 because the clock kept rolling after Pacman returned the punt, but since they ruled that he called a fair catch, that 10 seconds should have been put back on, right?

I could not find a thread on which to ask this question. What happened on the TD pass by Seahawks shortly after Dalton got one? It looked like the safety, Hall, or someone in addition to Kirkpatrick was asleep on the play.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 09:40 PM)Derrick Wrote: I could not find a thread on which to ask this question. What happened on the TD pass by Seahawks shortly after Dalton got one? It looked like the safety, Hall, or someone in addition to Kirkpatrick was asleep on the play.

I would imagine that Kirkpatrick was dropping coverage to the safety to start covering the receiver running the crossing route, but then the safety also went to cover that guy.  I guess who gets the blame should be decided on whether or not they were playing man or zone coverage.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 09:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I would imagine that Kirkpatrick was dropping coverage to the safety to start covering the receiver running the crossing route, but then the safety also went to cover that guy.  I guess who gets the blame should be decided on whether or not they were playing man or zone coverage.

I believe some have said that Lamur was supposed to stick with Kearse.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 09:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am guessing it is because the Seahawks would have ran off a lot more time before punting.

But if that was the reason we should have called it sooner.

Yea if that is the one I am thinking of probably 10 seconds ran off then he called it.
Reply/Quote
It might have been 7 to 10 seconds at the most.. but it is hard to burn that last time out when you are getting the ball back.. It still saved like 20 to 25 seconds.
Reply/Quote
I liked the timeout when it was called, but it took way too long for them to call it and it ended up not saving us any time because of the no gainer in-bounds to Gio on the first play of our next drive. The clock ran down to the 2 minute warning anyway and we weren't any farther downfield and also without that last timeout. But, all's well that ends well, I guess.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 04:26 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I believe some have said that Lamur was supposed to stick with Kearse.

That was my initial reaction in the Game Day thread.

You could see live and in replay that Dre immediately spun around after the play and started laying into Lamur, and it was quite evident that Lamur was trying to defend his actions.

Since I don't have a Bengals defensive playbook, I don't know which one of those two screwed up, but I wasn't thrilled about the idea that Lamur was supposed to cover Kearse on a go route.  It's a mismatch in my eyes, so my position is he was still going to score on that play if Lamur was covering him.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 09:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I would imagine that Kirkpatrick was dropping coverage to the safety to start covering the receiver running the crossing route, but then the safety also went to cover that guy.  I guess who gets the blame should be decided on whether or not they were playing man or zone coverage.

If the refs put more time on the clock, Nugent may have missed the FG. He didn't have much time to think about it. Just sayin.

Reply/Quote