Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The forgotten Olineman
All the talk I hear about oline and what Westerman, Redmond, Miller, Hart can or cannot do one guy that is never mentioned is a former High School 5-star recruit that was a top 25 recruit in the Nation. Went to a big time college program and started immediately at Guard, where he started his first 2 years. He started at LT his Junior year and RT his Senior year.

Who are we not discussing?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All the talk I hear about oline and what Westerman, Redmond, Miller, Hart can or cannot do one guy that is never mentioned is a former High School 5-star recruit that was a top 25 recruit in the Nation. Went to a big time college program and started immediately at Guard, where he started his first 2 years. He started at LT his Junior year and RT his Senior year.

Who are we not discussing?

Hopkins?

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:48 PM)Bryan Wrote: Hopkins?

Rod Taylor
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:48 PM)Bryan Wrote: Hopkins?
Good guess
(03-24-2019, 12:52 PM)Synric Wrote: Rod Taylor

Correct.

Haven't heard one person mention him this off season. I was a big fan of the pick last year and looked forward to him competing for a spot. Unfortunately he tore an ACL the first day of practice. Matter of fact durability is one of the reasons he fell. Plus the fact that he doesn't have prototypical length to play OT. But at 6'3" 330 I look forward to him competing for a roster spot this year.

Who knows maybe he can work out at OT.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Tsylor has a legit shot to make the roster. If Hart comes out and duplicates his play from last year Taylor might be plan B
Taylor can play G or OT so.he has value.
but his health is paramount.
if Boling goes down who plays LG?
Taylor if he makes the final 48?
Reply/Quote
You gotta think his first day of practice in the league wasn't the best day of his life. On balance I'd have to think it sucked..
Now, going forward the real question has to be can he overcome that injury before someone else takes his shot at cracking that roster spot? 
Personally I was pretty excited about the pick and thought maybe he was undervalued as an offensive lineman, but that's water under the dam..
What can he do now to prove his value and can he push others to be better than they currently are? Can he play better than anyone ahead of him in the pecking order and will he survive the ultimate cut down time of every season ? 
I think it's a shame that the local media football pundits aren't even mentioning his name as if he never even existed.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:52 PM)Synric Wrote: Rod Taylor

My guess too. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
A late 7th Round pick...he'll likely be competing for a roster spot or be on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
Ultimately I think Taylor is going to be one of those guys whose stock has risen because we haven't seen him. I can't imagine that he lasted to round seven and will turn into a starting tackle in this league. Everything I've read or seen seems like he's more projected as an emergency tackle or possibly inside on the line, though I can't imagine he'd crack the group with what's there now.

He might end up on the practice squad for the season, is my guess. His injury history, including college and now the pros, in a major concern.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:47 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Ultimately I think Taylor is going to be one of those guys whose stock has risen because we haven't seen him. I can't imagine that he lasted to round seven and will turn into a starting tackle in this league. Everything I've read or seen seems like he's more projected as an emergency tackle or possibly inside on the line, though I can't imagine he'd crack the group with what's there now.

He might end up on the practice squad for the season, is my guess. His injury history, including college and now the pros, in a major concern.

So was Anthony Munoz's, just saying.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So was Anthony Munoz's, just saying.

Munoz was the 3rd overall pick of the draft. Taylor late 7th Round.

Just a slight talent level difference there.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Munoz was the 3rd overall pick of the draft. Taylor late 7th Round.

Just a slight talent level difference there.  Sarcasm

Where was Tom Brady drafted ?

The round someone is drafted in is not the tell all end all to their NFL career.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Where was Tom Brady drafted ?

The round someone is drafted in is not the tell all end all to their NFL career.

To a high extent it is. More 1st Round picks make the Pro Bowl by a large extent than 7th Round picks. Are there outliers here and there? Yes. Tom Brady is an outlier.

Using Tom Brady being the GOAT is a weak argument as to why Rod Taylor will be a good Pro.

But, it does partially explain why we have so many preseason superstars every year in the forum! Auden Tate.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To a high extent it is. More 1st Round picks make the Pro Bowl by a large extent than 7th Round picks. Are there outliers here and there? Yes. Tom Brady is an outlier.

Using Tom Brady being the GOAT is a weak argument as to why Rod Taylor will be a good Pro.

But, it does partially explain why we have so many preseason superstars every year in the forum! Auden Tate.

Not one single word have I uttered that Taylor will be a good pro, Fred. And there are dozens and dozens of players who have had excellent careers that weren't drafted in the first round.

I was only pointing out that injuries early in a players career don't always define them.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not one single word have I uttered that Taylor will be a good pro, Fred. And there are dozens and dozens of players who have had excellent careers that weren't drafted in the first round.

I was only pointing out that injuries early in a players career don't always define them.

I agree with that that injuries don't define a player in some cases. Lack of talent is likely what will do Taylor in, but he does have a small percentage chance to develop into a quality starter. He has a larger percentage chance to be out of the league in 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree with that that injuries don't define a player in some cases. Lack of talent is likely what will do Taylor in, but he does have a small percentage chance to develop into a quality starter. He has a larger percentage chance to be out of the league in 3 years.

The crystal ball has spoken.  Not a lotta sunshine in that ball, is there?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree with that that injuries don't define a player in some cases. Lack of talent is likely what will do Taylor in, but he does have a small percentage chance to develop into a quality starter. He has a larger percentage chance to be out of the league in 3 years.

Lack of Talent was never Rod Taylor's issue. Technique, maturity, injuries, and most of all "want to" caused him to drop.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tsylor has a legit shot to make the roster. If Hart comes out and duplicates his play from last year Taylor might be plan B
Taylor can play G or OT so.he has value.
but his health is paramount.
if Boling goes down who plays LG?
Taylor if he makes the final 48?

If Hart comes out and duplicates his play from last year.....I would assume it would lead to an extension based on this offseaon.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 05:31 PM)TKUHL Wrote: If Hart comes out and duplicates his play from last year.....I would assume it would lead to an extension based on this offseaon.

No need to even extend him...he signed a 3 year deal!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 06:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No need to even extend him...he signed a 3 year deal!

Right but you get my point. Hart playing like crap apparently has no effect on how this team perceives him.
Reply/Quote